MD MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed315U

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm interested in MD/MPH programs. How much extra do these programs usually cost? Is the extra year of schooling the usual cost of an MPH program for 1 year? (~20K). or, is the extra year free? i.e. do you pay a normal med school application fee, and that's all?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It differs from school to school. But on the whole, getting an MPH in med school takes about a year, usually taken b/w your 3rd & 4th year. You do have to pay tuition to the school where you are receiving the MPH (i.e. at UCSF, you get your MPH degree from UC Berkely and pay Berkeley tuition). For the most part, I have found that you don't have to apply for dual degree programs until you are MS1 or MS2. Good luck!

I had the exact same question, and got it answered fairly well in the threads at http://students.medschool.com

There is actually a section called MD/MPH and there are a few messages in there that are helpful to all interested.

I would give a summary, but they come in all shapes and flavors. Northwestern is starting something for the coming 2002 class where interested students begin taking MPH classes the summer before the first year. Most schools have it between yrs 2 and 3 or 3 and 4. Some charge extra (NW, UCSF/B) some dont (Yale). ask around. and come back and let us know!

:D