MD or DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thegirlinthewater

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently entering as a college senior with a major in Kinesiology. I'm torn between med-school and physical therapy programs. I plan to take the GRE spring 2015 and MCAT summer 2015. I had a crazy 3rd year of college, due to a few traumatic life experiences this past year, my GPA had suffered from being a 3.78 to a 3.19. I just finished summer school with a 4.0 and I'm determined to graduate with a solid GPA. I have many hours of experience with observation and volunteering in hospitals, nursing homes and physical therapy clinics. No research experience which will hurt when applying for med school. I live in Hawaii so it was very difficult to find experience in such a small place. I'll cut to the chase now, I really cant decide if I want to be an MD or DPT. Both careers are so appealing to me, intellectually and emotionally. I'm also worried that being indecisive will hurt my applications in both PT and med-school admissions. Anyone with words of wisdom?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is quite a bit of difference in medical school vs physical therapy school. Just to name a few, number of years required, doing an internship and residency after medical school, and the amount of debt you will incur. I think you need to shadow more physicians, as it seems you have some experience in the physical therapy world, and very little as to what a physician does.
 
i've considered physiatry. It doesn't seem like they work much with patients, just diagnose and prescribe therapy. I Haven't shadowed one yet, but perhaps I shall!
They do EMG, acupuncture, spine intervention procedures, Botox for spasticity, and help manage chronic conditions (among other things). It is different from pt, but their work is more hands on than you think.
 
If your GPA dropped .59 points in a year, there may be a larger problem at hand. 3.1 GPA is very low for MD.
 
If your GPA dropped .59 points in a year, there may be a larger problem at hand. 3.1 GPA is very low for MD.

Right. What if we told you that the DO route was your best opinion for medical school. Would you still be as interested?...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there's any doubt in your mind....

do physical therapy. good job, good salary, and a lot fewer headaches.