MD or MD/pHD chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moisne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my selling points I guess:

• cGPA/sGPA undergrad 3.8 and grad school 3.6 for BS and MS in chemical engineering and minor in Bioengineering
  • Papers: Published one that was requested to be front cover of a journal issue in 2012 and published as First Author
  • about 100 clinical volunteer hours
  • about 1500 hours research hours
  • MCAT: 31 (14/8/9 PS/VR/BS)
  • I joined and completed Teach for America
  • I run a small business
  • I indicated I currently prefer to be a General Physician in disadvantage neighborhood because of my experience with TFA
  • I have decent recommendation - my professors think I'm a genius for some reason (I'm not)
Do you think I would be more or less competitive as a MD or MD/phD candidate?

Here are the school's I applied for:
University of Colorado -Denver
University of Michigan - College of medicine (also the MSTP program)
University of Utah
UCSD
Meharry
Loma Linda
Oregon health and science
Howard University

Something happened with my transcripts/recommendations but they are fixed - however I applied to each school fairly late (some just days before deadline, others about a month before deadline)

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my selling points I guess:

• cGPA/sGPA undergrad 3.8 and grad school 3.6 for BS and MS in chemical engineering and minor in Bioengineering
  • Papers: Published one that was requested to be front cover of a journal issue in 2012 and published as First Author
  • about 100 clinical volunteer hours
  • about 1500 hours research hours
  • MCAT: 31 (14/8/9 PS/VR/BS)
  • I joined and completed Teach for America
  • I run a small business
  • I indicated I currently prefer to be a General Physician in disadvantage neighborhood because of my experience with TFA
  • I have decent recommendation - my professors think I'm a genius for some reason (I'm not)
Do you think I would be more or less competitive as a MD or MD/phD candidate?

Here are the school's I applied for:
University of Colorado -Denver
University of Michigan - College of medicine (also the MSTP program)
University of Utah
UCSD
Meharry
Loma Linda
Oregon health and science
Howard University

Something happened with my transcripts/recommendations but they are fixed - however I applied to each school fairly late (some just days before deadline, others about a month before deadline)
?

So I figure you already applied this cycle and hadn't got much luck (as in no IIs)?

Well... haha so all
?

So I figure you already applied this cycle and hadn't got much luck (as in no IIs)?
Well... haha - so I finished my last application 3 hours ago. Deadline is Jan 15th for Howard and Meharry.

University Colorado Denver was completed at the end of November - should I take it as a bad sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well... haha so all

Well... haha - so I finished my last application 3 hours ago. Deadline is Jan 15th for Howard and Meharry.

University Colorado Denver was completed at the end of November - should I take it as a bad sign?

Well, your app is really really late. And if you do get interviews, you'll likely be competing for a waitlist, but you could succeed in getting off the waitlist.

Besides the late app, your MCAT is unbalanced but ok for some of the schools (not exactly for the top tiers like Michigan, and UCSD). Not sure if you had any shadowing experiences.

Also, I really don't recommend HBCUs (Howard and Meharry), because they tend to be ridiculously expensive if you do get in. OHSU if you're an OOSer could be a problem. You'd need to expand your school list a bit more.

In the event you don't get in this cycle, I'd work on getting some shadowing hours in. Your app looks good otherwise, but be sure to apply EARLY and BROADLY (but don't get carried away with more than 30 schools).

Reactions: 1 user
so... I was rejected by MSTP - but accepted into MD yesterday:D

Thanks for your all your help!

Congratulations on getting accepted to University of Colorado!! Are you an in-state or out-state applicant?

In state. Very very pleasantly surprised!

Considering the "Common Wisdom" that UColorado has hefty expectations for clinical experience, your acceptance would seem to cast this in doubt. OTOH, your substantive resarch and community service (TFA) may have helped them overlook this issue.

I have over 2000 hrs of medical research. A previous dean said research or volunteer (had about 100 hrs). I just didn't think my mcat and GPA were that outstanding.

Actually thinking about it - I'm not sure why I was accepted. I didn't feel like my interview was exceptional. I was practically blabbering in my second interview

Last edited: