MD or MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

working_hard1

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I go to a T10 school, 3.4 sGPA, 510 MCAT, and am ORM. I am also an MPH candidate (no gap years between studies though). I am applying to medical school this cycle and am deciding whether I should go MD or MD/PhD. I have lots of research and several publications. I feel that because my stats are less stellar it might be better for me to apply MD/PhD because it would increase my chances of getting into medical school. I do really like research and plan for it to be a part of my career regardless of whether I'm an MD or MD/PhD. Thoughts on whether I should apply MD or MD/PhD?
 
I go to a T10 school, 3.4 sGPA, 510 MCAT, and am ORM. I am also an MPH candidate (no gap years between studies though). I am applying to medical school this cycle and am deciding whether I should go MD or MD/PhD. I have lots of research and several publications. I feel that because my stats are less stellar it might be better for me to apply MD/PhD because it would increase my chances of getting into medical school. I do really like research and plan for it to be a part of my career regardless of whether I'm an MD or MD/PhD. Thoughts on whether I should apply MD or MD/PhD?
Any first author publications?
 
If you have to ask this question then you should probably stick to MD-only.

You can always consider switching into the MD/PhD track after you have matriculated. There is usually attrition from MD/PhD programs (students switching to MD-only), so spots typically open each year.

If you want to incorporate research into your career, but feel that a PhD would be overkill, then do a 1-year research experience while in medical school. There are a lot of these programs around the country. You can also focus on research-heavy residency programs, and can even do a postdoc with an MD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have to ask this question then you should probably stick to MD-only.

You can always consider switching into the MD/PhD track after you have matriculated. There is usually attrition from MD/PhD programs (students switching to MD-only), so spots typically open each year.

If you want to incorporate research into your career, but feel that a PhD would be overkill, then do a 1-year research experience while in medical school. There are a lot of these programs around the country. You can also focus on research-heavy residency programs, and can even do a postdoc with an MD.
Right. OP's question is really whether MD/PhD is a viable backdoor option into medical school for an applicant with very strong research and pubs but weakish stats. Is there anything to that possibility, or is it, as you seem to be implying, that MD/PhD admissions are even more stat focused than regular MD, so the research and pubs are not going to buy OP any love with a 3.4/510?
 
If anything MD/PhD programs are more competitive and have higher median GPAs and MCATs than MD alone programs. I think applying only to MD/PHD programs would be risky and might result in you applying to MD/DO only programs next year.