MD/Ph.D and Step I board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fanon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a very strong interest in pursuing Orthopaedics or Neurosurgery for residency. I just took step I and received a 234/95. Right now I also have a chance to pursue a Ph.D and I am ready to jump into it. But I am also thinking when I apply for residency 4-5 years from now in Ortho or Neuro, will my board scores still be considered competitive. I am hoping the Ph.D and the publications will hold some weight....:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

wait, r u doin the phd for the love of resaerch or in order to get into ent or neuro?

You should not pursue a PhD just to make your app stronger. Anything higher than 230 along with strong rotations and LORs should be enough to land a position in neurosurg/ortho somewhere. Just remember, a PhD will take 4 years of your life which could be spent doing something else you love and enjoy. And don't forget that most of the top neurosurg programs out there are going to be an additional 7 years after graduation. If you do in fact enjoy and love basic science research, then definitely go for it (just be careful about why you decide to pursue the PhD). Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of doing the Ph.D for the love of research, centered around HIV/AIDS. It will not be focused on Neuro or Ortho, however I am sure I can conduct an HIV/AIDS project that will target the nervous system or the skeletal system. The time committment is not an issue with me, since I am not in a rush to graduate.

However, I am just worried if my board scores will hold up 5 years from now...

In that case, go for it. In terms of the PhD affecting your board score, it shouldn't unless you end up taking 7 years (double check me on this but I believe board scores are valid for up to 7 years) and a 234 should be equally competitive then as it is now. Plus, you will also have research experience and pubs to make your case stronger. Best wishes, allopathic.

Originally posted by fanon
I am thinking of doing the Ph.D for the love of research, centered around HIV/AIDS. It will not be focused on Neuro or Ortho, however I am sure I can conduct an HIV/AIDS project that will target the nervous system or the skeletal system. The time committment is not an issue with me, since I am not in a rush to graduate.

However, I am just worried if my board scores will hold up 5 years from now...

One other concern is that many licensing jurisdictions (states) require your step 1, 2, and 3 to have been all completed within a 7 year period. You might actually have to retake your step 1

board scores are valid FOR EVER as long as you take ALL the 3 steps within a 7 year time frame. taking step 3 should not be a problem because some states allow you to sit for it even if you have not joined a residency program ( florida for one ). you probably would end up retaking one of the steps if you do not complete all 3 of them in the 7 year time frame.
from what i have heard any kind of medical research helps in making the application strong... but should one do research just to make one's application strong? i can't answer that.
hope this helps.