MD/PhD advice this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goblue9897

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm one of those people whose spring MCAT was cancelled. :( I rescheduled for May 9 but not optimistic about the possibility of taking it then. Still staying fresh on topics, though. I was originally planning to apply to MD/PhD programs this cycle, and I'd still like to, but I'm wondering if anyone with more experience has any insight for me. It's looking like I'll have to apply without an MCAT, which is worrisome, but I have everything else ready to go so I'd prefer not to take an extra gap year if I don't have to.

I'm a good test taker and felt fine with my practice MCATs. How risky is it to apply this year without having my MCAT score? I know people do this all the time, but I'm worried about waiting another year to apply and applying with my MCAT score.

Is anyone in the same boat as me? Anyone with admissions experience have any insight about applying without an MCAT? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I'm one of those people whose spring MCAT was cancelled. :( I rescheduled for May 9 but not optimistic about the possibility of taking it then. Still staying fresh on topics, though. I was originally planning to apply to MD/PhD programs this cycle, and I'd still like to, but I'm wondering if anyone with more experience has any insight for me. It's looking like I'll have to apply without an MCAT, which is worrisome, but I have everything else ready to go so I'd prefer not to take an extra gap year if I don't have to.

About me:
-Senior Honors Neuroscience major, 3.8 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA (will probably stay the same or go up slightly after this sem)
-Leadership for years in 3 unique service orgs
-CNA for 2 years (hospital and nursing home)
-2.5 years of research, 2 posters, no pubs (almost had results for my publishable project...but COVID), summer intern in Amgen scholars program, should also get a pub from this
-continuing to work at my lab at my undergrad institution (large state school) for gap year as a research assistant
-Scored an average of 516 on the 3 practice AAMC MCATs I took a few weeks prior to finding out my test was cancelled

I'm a good test taker and felt fine with my practice MCATs. How risky is it to apply this year without having my MCAT score? I know people do this all the time, but I'm worried about waiting another year to apply and applying with my MCAT score.

Is anyone in the same boat as me? Anyone with admissions experience have any insight about applying without an MCAT? Thank you so much!
Practice test scores become fish stories. We've seen too many "I should've gotten [this score] because of my practice test" stories as if they were the ones that got away. We can't really do a proper assessment without a final official MCAT score.

That said, you have a lot of work to do to find out how your application is going to be reviewed. If you want a goal for MD/PhD admission, you're going to have to shoot for 520+ for your best chances. Your participation in the Amgen scholars program is going to be helpful, but you also need to know what a career as a physician/scientist is like and why you would be suited to 8-10 years of being a student as opposed to getting done in 4 years and earning some money (however little it is) as a resident. Your science GPA is a shade lower than what I think would be desirable (3.75+) unless you have extenuating circumstances in your background or demographics.

I suggest you do reach out to admissions recruiters and see if the MSTP program administrator or someone can give you insight about how that will be evaluated. They ultimately will want you to take an MCAT as a condition of acceptance, so this would put even more pressure on you to score as high as you possibly can when the test window opens up again.