MD/PhD, Distinction in Research Award

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcat85

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually have a couple of questions. I've done a decent amount of research as an undergrad, but I didn't have enough to consider doing an MD/PhD. Now that I've been doing some more research, I have been contemplating attempting to gain admission into my school's MD/PhD program post-matriculation (which, according to their website, is a possibility). Alternately, the school offers something called a "distinction in research award" to M.D. students who present a thesis (see this page). So, my two questions are:

1. What are the professional advantages of having an MD/PhD? In other words, what does having that degree allow you to do that a MD cannot (other than the obvious research knowledge)?

2. Should I perhaps instead work toward this M.D. with distinction in research path, or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I actually have a couple of questions. I've done a decent amount of research as an undergrad, but I didn't have enough to consider doing an MD/PhD. Now that I've been doing some more research, I have been contemplating attempting to gain admission into my school's MD/PhD program post-matriculation (which, according to their website, is a possibility). Alternately, the school offers something called a "distinction in research award" to M.D. students who present a thesis (see this page). So, my two questions are:

1. What are the professional advantages of having an MD/PhD? In other words, what does having that degree allow you to do that a MD cannot (other than the obvious research knowledge)?

NOTHING.

2. Should I perhaps instead work toward this M.D. with distinction in research path, or am I just wasting my time?

Thanks.

The distinction/honors in research is what it sounds like, some kind of distiction on your record. I'm sure it couldnt hurt. At my school, it only requires 16 weeks of research with some original contribution from the student. Since most interested students do 12 weeks in the summer between M1 and 2, you would only have 4 more weeks during 4th year. If your school is gonna make you jump through hoops for it, skip it.

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to disagree with the nothing statement as well. It definitely would help for getting funding (the degree plus the experience) as well as having your own lab if you so desire.