MD/PhD: Good stats, no pubs -- chances for top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

md2be1122

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking at top MD/PhD Programs (I want to study neuroscience). Don't really have a strong sense on what really great MSTPs are looking for / if they just pull from Ivy undergrads w lots of pubs. I'm wondering if my lack of pubs will hurt me for MD/PhD programs?

I just graduated from a lower-tier state school, and am currently enrolled in a MPH program at the same state school. My stats are: 3.97 cGPA, 3.94 sGPA, 519 MCAT.

Research: 3 years in neuroscience lab
No pubs
Presented posters a lot at my university (5 times) and at one state-wide and two national conventions
  • Shadowing: 85 hours
  • Clinical Exposure (Medical Volunteering): 200 hours
  • Volunteering (Non-medical): 75 hours
ECs: exec board global health group (+ month-long global health internship abroad)
tutor for genetics
student government
campus tour guide

If anyone has any recommendations for schools to look at, that would also be appreciated! 🙂
 
You should be competitive but even a 8-15% of people with your stats do not get into MD/PhD programs in a cycle. I have met and advised (after the fact) to some of them. Often their failure is to be "too elitist", applying to a small number of highly competitive MSTPs.

Check out the number of applicants per matriculant of last year's cycle: https://www.aamc.org/download/321544/data/factstableb8.pdf
You realize that MSTPs and many large MD/PhD programs (non-MSTP) are difficult to get in.

You must apply to 10-15 dream (top MSTPs given your stats), but at least 5 match MSTPs (based upon stats), and another 3-5 safety programs based upon your area of interest.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should be competitive but even a 8-15% of people with your stats do not get into MD/PhD programs in a cycle. I have met and advised (after the fact) to some of them. Often their failure is to be "too elitist", applying to a small number of highly competitive MSTPs.

Check out the number of applicants per matriculant of last year's cycle: https://www.aamc.org/download/321544/data/factstableb8.pdf
You realize that MSTPs and many large MD/PhD programs (non-MSTP) are difficult to get in.

You must apply to 10-15 dream (top MSTPs given your stats), but at least 5 match MSTPs (based upon stats), and another 3-5 safety programs based upon your area of interest.

Hi Fencer,

That's great advice -- thank you! I will definitely be applying to a broad swath of schools. I am, though, having a hard time finding information specific to MSTP Programs' stats (except for a few schools which publish figures on their websites). I have included below some schools that I am tentatively looking at now -- in no particular order within each category. Would you mind commenting on how well my list corresponds to dream/match/safety? And maybe if you know if any of these schools are particularly strong in neuroscience? Thanks so much for your help!!

Dream:
UCSF
Washington in St. Louis
Michigan
Stanford
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Duke
Columbia
Penn
Yale

Match:
Case Western
NYU
Pitt
UCSD


Safety:
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Miami-Miller
Indiana