MD/PhD help or hurt?

Discussion in 'Otolaryngology' started by medstudentIV, Jul 24, 2006.

1. medstudentIV

medstudentIV New Member

What do people know about the views of oto programs on MD/PhDs? Does this greatly help your chances or doesn't really change anything?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated
    Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    If you want to go for the 7 years clinical scholars track at some programs then it is a tremendous asset, otherwise a PhD is not as big a deal as other fields. One of my best friends matched into a 7-year Oto program this year and he said a lot of faculty didn't seem to appreciate that he had a PhD while other applicants did token summer research. This was of course an issue w/ the standard 5 year programs.

4. TheThroat

TheThroat SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Having a PhD will always help you get into the bigger programs, but it isn't a shoe-in. I wouldn't do a PhD just to help out your application. Thats a huge committment.

5. Leforte

Leforte Member
    Moderator Physician PhD Faculty

Attending Physician
    If you want to do research, do it in your residency and don't do a PhD in medical school. It doesn't help out an application that much, and definitely not worth the time involved. No to mention you'll be 7+ years past your PhD training by the time you complete residency, much less a fellowship, should you choose one.

Now if you already have a PhD - my experience was that when interviewing, I felt that they were encouraging another 1-2 years in residency for research - which I was not interested in. So maybe it might help if you want one of the 6-7 year programs. Then again you'd be 40 before you start practicing.