MD/PhD in Anthropology Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veglarry

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been silently reading these premed threads for a while, but I worked up the courage to post because I really need some advice. I really would love to pursue an MD/PhD in Anthropology, but I'm unsure if my qualifications are up to par for such a program. I would love it if someone gave me some honest feed back as to whether I should take a shot or I'm being foolish...so here goes:

-Dual degree: Biology/Anthropology

-MCAT- 511...C/P: 127 CARS: 128 B/B: 128 P/S: 128

-Overall GPA: 3.76 BCPM: 3.68 AO: 3.93

-Research: 2 years total

Research Assistant: 1500 Hours

-240 Hours: with that same project in another professor's lab who was collaborating with my PI

Laboratory Technician in same Lab: 1360 Hours (up to now, still working there)

-PI has allowed me to continue on that previous project (on the side) as well as mainly work with one of the grads on
his project

-Honors Thesis completed and approved by committee: done with the work completed as research assistant

-And I have the other extracurriculars as well, some of which involve working with an Anthro professor

So my main concern is whether I'd be okay to take a shot at applying with those stats or whether I should just go for regular MD...

Thank you so much for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

@veglarry, feel free to PM me! i just completed my cycle for md/phd in anthropology and would be happy to answer any questions you have :)

@veglarry I am also applying right now but have you considered DO/PhD in Anthro?? Michigan State definitely has a program and so do a few other places. May be worth looking into!

Not to be discouraging, but your stats are on the low side overall, which isn't necessarily a cause for alarm alone, but also take into account that for any program, funding a social sciences PhD is a risk, especially for MSTPs that need to periodically submit grant renewals to the NIH in which they must justify their outlays. Therefore, you need to really convince them that you are worth the risk, which comes in the form of having stellar stats and a proven track record of research in your proposed area. When you say "Lab technician", that suggests to me you are not currently doing anthro research - unless I'm mistaken? It is important to have bench experience, but during your gap year(s), you should also get some experience basically doing what a grad student in anthro would do, which hopefully will lead to a strong letter and a conference publication (or even better though not necessary, a paper).