MD/PhD or MD Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soso55

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this in the Physician Scientists forum, but also wanted to post here to get specific feedback for just MD. Ultimate goal is MD/PhD, but just covering my bases.

Chemistry major with biology minor in a very reputable, but not famous program. Graduating in May 2018.

cGPA: 3.84
sGPA: 3.82
MCAT: taking in May

Research: Will have ~1500 hours (two undergraduate labs, NSF REU). Unfortunately, it seems unlikely I get a publication, but there is a chance. I know that pubs aren't required. I'm planning on taking a gap year to do research at some post bacc program (currently in the process of applying). I have two published DNA sequences from high school, but I'm not sure if I can put that on my app. I've presented posters at several symposiums at my college. Additionally, I'm presenting at the National ACS conference, and maybe two other regional conferences.

Clinical: Certified EMT. Will have ~300 hours volunteering for my school's squad. Planning on volunteering as an EMT during my gap year. I do not have any shadowing hours from college. I have ~300 from high school. Is that good enough or should I try to get more shadowing before I apply? Is this enough clinical exposure to apply just MD?

ECs: Laboratory Technician for the Chemistry Departmental (paid). Stand by EMT for Club Sports Games (paid). President of the Debate Club (also compete fairly often). Part of some honor societies, but not really involved with them. No significant non-clinical volunteering. Cooling and writing, both of which I've invented significant amounts of time into.

Some questions I have:
I'm actually graduating a year early, but would that make a difference to adcoms? Should I do post bacc research for 1 or 2 years? Am I competitive for MSTP programs or should I focus on other MD/PhD programs? What MCAT score should I shoot for? Do people generally reach out to PIs at universities before applying? How much do I need to add in terms of clinical exposure?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.