MD, PhD, or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohhi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just don't know what I want. I came into college premed, but I think I always chose medicine because of my interest in the science, not the patients. However, I do love the field and could see myself in it. I love the work I do in the lab I work in, and lab classes are always my favorites. I know this is SDN so people know most about MD, but what can you guys tell me that would sway me one way, or the other, or both?

Members don't see this ad.

Start working in a research lab and shadow some physicians in different specialties. You will see they are very different.

If you're young enough, you should do the MD/PhD. The prospects for pure science postgraduates (especially life sciences postgraduates) are abysmal at best, and cataclysmic at worst. For example, I've read a lot of anecdotal stories about individuals with science PhDs being forced to take high school teaching positions. I mean, if you really hate clinical work, by all means, don't commit intellectual suicide, but if you like both scientific research and clinical work, the MD/PhD is a much better option than a PhD by itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was feeling the same way until I started research 2 yrs ago, this swayed me towards wanting a PhD. Last year, I was encouraged to revisit the MD path,and once I started shadowingv I realized how much more I wanted the MD over the PhD. I now hope to do the MD and continue research on the side. The best way to decide, is to shadow numerous hours, and try bench research.

+1 on PhDs taking high school teaching positions. Granted, the guy I know didn't publish too well and can't leave his town for family reasons.