MD/PhD vs. MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rihdus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few threads about this already but I was unable to find the answer to my specific question. Can an MD do research and practice medicine at the same time at a Medical School/Teaching Hospital? I realize that it might be easier if I had a PhD to do this but would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've seen a few threads about this already but I was unable to find the answer to my specific question. Can an MD do research and practice medicine at the same time at a Medical School/Teaching Hospital? I realize that it might be easier if I had a PhD to do this but would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't?

Thanks
Yes. You CAN do research with an MD/DO only and you will NOT be at a disadvantage. You do not need a PhD.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is going off on a tangent but on the Pritzker podcasts those students enrolled in the MSTP said don't do an MD/PhD program unless you want a career that absolutely requires both

this is going off on a tangent but on the Pritzker podcasts those students enrolled in the MSTP said don't do an MD/PhD program unless you want a career that absolutely requires both

+1 I've heard a lot of MD/PhD students say they regret taking that route and wish they just would've done MD only. It is a lot of work to say the least.

But...but...you can introduce yourself as Dr. Dr. [your name]!
I know you're joking, but that probably is the only good thing about the MD/PhD. People will automatically think you're super smart.:rolleyes:

But...but...you can introduce yourself as Dr. Dr. [your name]!

That is a good point. :laugh:

Patient: Well you see Dr. Smith I...
Me: Eh hem...
Patient: Sorry....Dr. Dr. Smith
Me: Much better. :thumbup:

Thank you for all the prompt replies.

BTW, my goal has always been someone to call me a Dr. Dr. Mr. Prof [name]. :laugh:

Can an MD do research and practice medicine at the same time at a Medical School/Teaching Hospital?

Yes... of course. Tons of ppl do this.

However MD/PhD ppl get bigger hiring packages (more money, more space, etc) than MD ppl who get bigger packages than PhD ppl (or at least that's what I heard), but you're not at a disadvantage. It's just what work you do/ what you choos eto do with yourself and what you make out of your career. You can pretty much choose how much/ what kind of research - clinical research vs. bench work is VERY different in terms of lifestyle/pressure/projects/team/schedule. You can choose what proportion of each you want to do. And pay drops significantly - my friend who graduated from HMS and did her residency at MGH is making 90K/year because she decided research is her passion. It's stressful because sometimes she's not sure if grants will come through (and if they don't she can't maintain her salary, and she has mortgages etc to pay), so once in a while she'll completely drop off the radar and vanish from life, only to reemerge when grants kick in. Just some anecdotal stuff. She does do clinical one day a week and serves as attending once in a while on a calendar rotation and whatnot. She's happy where she is. She has faith that things will continue to grow and lift off. It's what she likes to do. So yes it is possible. She could have chosen much less research or a very different lifestyle, it's what she enjoys.

+1 I've heard a lot of MD/PhD students say they regret taking that route and wish they just would've done MD only. It is a lot of work to say the least.

I also know a lot of MDs who regret not doing a PhD because they feel a learning curve when they get thrown into lab after residency

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do bench research as a physician, you have to get wet lab experience somewhere. Whether it's a formal PhD or a post-doc after residency or research time spent in the lab during a residency/fellowship. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get a faculty position (as a, primarily, basic science researcher) if you only do medical school and a clinical residency. Medical school and residency are designed to put out clinicians, not bench researchers. So, if you want to conduct basic science research, you'll have to put in the time somewhere to gain the experience necessary to run a lab successfully.

The benefit of doing a PhD is that it's protected time for you to develop into a scientist. It's more of a sink-or-swim type of situation if you're doing a post-doc after residency in order to get bench experience (with the added stress of interest accumulating on student loans). At least, that's how I understand it. MD/PhD students or others with a better understanding can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something.

However MD/PhD ppl get bigger hiring packages (more money, more space, etc) than MD ppl who get bigger packages than PhD ppl (or at least that's what I heard), but you're not at a disadvantage.

It's true, MD-PhDs have pretty big packages...

Seriously though, to all those saying you can do research with an MD, you're mixing things up. They are allowed to do research, but how can you do research without research training (i.e. a PhD)? Some of you make it seem like MDs can just decide, "Hey why don't I go set up a lab". You will need to compete for grants, lab space, you need to convince an administration to protect your research time, you need to think of feasible yet interesting projects, etc. You can't do any of that without a track record in research.

That is good.
12.lona.gif

I debated MD versus MD/PhD for a while. After meeting many MD/PhD students and faculty, I decided it is not right for me. I want to do research and medicine but it seems the best way to do this is to get a research fellowship for lab experience. The ideal is 80% of your time in lab 20% of your time in clinic. But, it turns out, you basically have to choose one or the other in the end. Your friends in the beginning of med school will become physicians way before you'll be done and I've heard it's kind of a lonely feeling since most people you'll work with are doing MD or PhD. MSTP programs are good because you never go into debt but keep in mind you are also studying/doing lab work for an extra 4 to 5 years when your peers will have salaries paying off their debt.

So for an MD to do basic research, they need research experience, but this doesn't require a full PhD.

Very few people do MD/PhDs because very few people should do MD/PhDs.

Most opinions give a very simplistic view of this decision. Having gone through MD/PhD admissions and knowing several MD-only researchers tells a different story. Yes, MD/PhD is a longer track, but there are other merits for individuals planning to be lead investigators.

Sure, if you want to do research as an MD, you can sign up to pipet stuff in your spare time. But if you want to apply for grants, you need to build up a publication record and learn the ropes of running research projects. If you choose to do a research fellowship after residency, you might only see patients one afternoon out of the week while trying your best to get published. From what I've heard, there is a lot of tension with the clinical faculty regarding time commitment.

Otherwise you might consider doing several years of post-doc. An MD-researcher (HHMI too) told me often times MD's who don't do PhD's will do up to post-doc's to get up to speed before applying for their own R01's. An MD isn't exactly a surrogate PhD.

Research career pathways after med school are multitudinous, but it's not so simple as MD's can work in a lab too (high schoolers and college students can). Admittedly, the MD/PhD path seems more arduous now, but if you know what you want and take advantage of the opportunities - grant-writing workshops, networking, protected research time - then it can pay off.

You can do it either way. If you want to be primarily a researcher, MD/PhD programs will help you develop in that field of interest (especially if it's bioengineering/math/humanities) and will allow you to graduate with minimal debt from the program. However, if you're interested in clinical research or lab science, try to get involved during medical school and do a research residency. It will prepare you enough to spend your career as a physician-scientist without adding years to your training. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk to someone partway through an MD/PhD :)

I've just recently decided to pursue the MD/PhD track, where as I considering the MD only track before.

I was fortunate enough to do research this summer at my state's medical school and there happens to be to two MD/PhD students in this lab and I have talked to them about this topic many times. So here is they main things they had to say;

If you want to do MD/PhD you really have to want most of your career to involve research. The benefit of the MD/PhD vs. MD is that you have your medical school broken up with rigorous and formal research training. Techniques, presentations, grant writing, everything you need to know to be a serious researcher in the future. Think about it if you do MD only, the last time you would have a 10 year gap in serious lab work. You finish undergrad at 22, finish fellowship at 33/34 (depending on specialty), and between that time you never had a large commitment to bench work. The MD/PhD provides that training in the middle.

You also have to consider the time commitment, do an age calculation even. Are you willing to finish your residency and fellowship at 36/37 (possibly longer if your surgery) and just begin your career?

The thing that helped me decide though is really introspection. As undergrad we have limited experience in both the lab and clinic, but you know what type of person you are. If your an oncologist (MD) you will know if the lung cancer is big cell or small cell, but if you're an MD/PhD that studies cancer, you know that this particular cancer is caused by over phosphorlyation of the EGF receptor, which interacts with the Grb2 protein, in a signalling cascade that promotes cell proliferation. Are you the type of person who really wants to know what is going at the molecular level, or are you happy just understanding the physiological/disease outcome? Just try to figure out what type of person you are and the answer will become clearer.

Lastly, can you see yourself spending most of your time in the clinic or the lab? I thought about it and I realized I needed a challenging variety and would never want to be a solely a clinician or researcher, so MD/PhD makes sense. Even though it is unlikely you can do research and clinic work simultaneously for your entire career, if that's what you think is ideal you should shoot for MD/PhD

I'm an MD-only student who thought of doing an MD, PhD, however, all my PIs and the vast majority of MD, PhD attendings and fellows I met regretted their decision (caveat emptor). There is a lot of misinformation in some of the above posts, but instead of addressing them directly, I'm going to make a few short points

1. You do not need a PhD in order to have a translational or basic research career. A major grievance I've heard over-and-over again is that while you learn techniques and are well read on your thesis topic, by the time you finish your PhD, you will be out of the lab for two years during M3-M4, you may only get a few research weeks during your IM or peds residency, and during fellowship, your dedicated research time is primarily in the second and third year, thus your skills atrophy and your knowledge on a topic 7 years ago is outdated and no longer relevant.

2. The value of the PhD is NOT the PhD; the value of the PhD is having the opportunity to plan long experiments, practice grant writing, write papers, learn how to trouble shoot when experiments fail, and learning to put-up with all the BS in research. Point is, there are many ways to learn these skills: take a few years off after college and work as a tech, take a year off during med school and do a research fellowship, go to a med school with an MD-with-thesis track, and plan to postdoc during and after your fellowship.

3. Having an MD, PhD does not mean you magically get grants easier than an MD.

4. Not all MD, PhDs stay in research: many students get burned out and choose to leave academics or stay but elect to have minimal research duties.

5. I've met some MDs who felt they would have gotten a higher faculty status sooner if they also had a PhD, but I've also met MD, PhDs who are jealous of MDs because the MDs finish training sooner and thus were able to start a family before them, buy a house before them, start making an attendings salary before them, etc.

6. With IBR, the monetary value of doing an MD, PhD really isn't there anymore

Some people decide to get an MD, PhD, and for many of them, that's the right choice. For me, I saw too many jaded and burned-out MD, PhDs to think it was a viable option. I had several years of research before med school, I am doing an MD-with-thesis program, I am planning taking a year off after M3, and I am dedicated and excited at the prospect of having a career as a physician-scientist.

If you want to do basic research in academic medicine and commit a large portion of your career to running a lab then MD/PhD is a superior path to MD-only UNLESS you plan to supplement your MD training with research as Brachyury said.

In the end it doesn't matter MD or MD/PhD or MD/PhD/PhD/PhD. Whoever has the grants aka the MONEY has the power. That said, with the extra street cred (more contacts, more publications, more grants, more experience, etc.) that you acquire with MD/PhD training may make navigating the system and acquiring grants a little easier. MD/PhD is not the only route to get those skills and resources and there definitely are others. However, having an MD-only with no extra research experience is not one of them.

Also the people who regret doing MD/PhD either did it for the wrong reasons (money), did not have enough research experience to know what they were getting themselves into signing up for a PhD, or did not fully understand the commitments of the program. I see those more as flaws in those people rather than a flaw of the program. It always cracks me up when MD/PhD students whine about not being able to do X as early or make as much as MD students as fast. What were they expecting?

I would like to see patients for a majority of the time and do research on the side. So I'm guessing I going to stay away from the MD/PHD track then

No one should be doing MD/PhDs unless they're absolutely sure they don't like the clinician part of medical practice.

If you want to do bench research as a physician, you have to get wet lab experience somewhere. Whether it's a formal PhD or a post-doc after residency or research time spent in the lab during a residency/fellowship. It's extremely unlikely that you'll be able to get a faculty position (as a, primarily, basic science researcher) if you only do medical school and a clinical residency. Medical school and residency are designed to put out clinicians, not bench researchers. So, if you want to conduct basic science research, you'll have to put in the time somewhere to gain the experience necessary to run a lab successfully.

The benefit of doing a PhD is that it's protected time for you to develop into a scientist. It's more of a sink-or-swim type of situation if you're doing a post-doc after residency in order to get bench experience (with the added stress of interest accumulating on student loans). At least, that's how I understand it. MD/PhD students or others with a better understanding can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about something.
^ This is a good explanation.

Seriously though, to all those saying you can do research with an MD, you're mixing things up. They are allowed to do research, but how can you do research without research training (i.e. a PhD)? Some of you make it seem like MDs can just decide, "Hey why don't I go set up a lab". You will need to compete for grants, lab space, you need to convince an administration to protect your research time, you need to think of feasible yet interesting projects, etc. You can't do any of that without a track record in research.
^ This is a bad explanation. As far as I know, MD's applying for grants don't compete against PhD's or MD/PhD's applying; their funding sources are different. "Research" doesn't always mean basic science either, clinical research is often done by MD-only clinician/researchers.
No one should be doing MD/PhDs unless they're absolutely sure they don't like the clinician part of medical practice.
^ This is just plain wrong.

^
^ This is a bad explanation. As far as I know, MD's applying for grants don't compete against PhD's or MD/PhD's applying; their funding sources are different. "Research" doesn't always mean basic science either, clinical research is often done by MD-only clinician/researchers.

Of course the funding sources are the same.

I mean the application process for NIH funding is split between PI's that hold PhD's and those that only hold MD's.
I know what you meant, but the NIH doesn't put applications in different pools depending on the PI's degrees.

I know what you meant, but the NIH doesn't put applications in different pools depending on the PI's degrees.
Well that's what I'm wondering about, I remember reading that somewhere and I'm trying to find a source for either side.

Edit: In any case, I still don't believe it's as difficult as you're making it out to be for MD's to do research, provided it's not strictly basic science in nature. If you want to do wet lab research, such an endeavor simply requires a bigger commitment for the reasons you mentioned, and I agree having a PhD and prior basic science research experience makes one more competitive. For an MD wanting to do clinical research to whatever extent as part of their practice, I don't think a PhD is significantly necessary.

Last edited:
Well that's what I'm wondering about, I remember reading that somewhere and I'm trying to find a source for either side.

Edit: In any case, I still don't believe it's as difficult as you're making it out to be for MD's to do research, provided it's not strictly basic science in nature. If you want to do wet lab research, such an endeavor simply requires a bigger commitment for the reasons you mentioned, and I agree having a PhD and prior basic science research experience makes one more competitive. For an MD wanting to do clinical research to whatever extent as part of their practice, I don't think a PhD is significantly necessary.
Nobody ever said clinical research required a PhD so everyone is on the same page there. We were discussing the advantage of having a PhD for basic research and now that you agree that having a PhD makes one more competitive we are all on the same page there as well. OP, I hope that helps answer your question.

As far as funding, pretty sure it's all the same. There is no MD-only fund, PhD-only fund, etc. Given that it's all the same pool of cash you are competing for, as an MD with little research experience how well do you think your grant proposal will compete with some PhD that has years of extra experience on you, more research contacts than you, more street cred (past grants, papers, talks, etc.) than you, and devoting 100% of their time to research?

MDs can obviously still do basic research. You just need the research training through another route. MD/PhD programs are one route, there are other routes, but opening a lab is not something you do on a whim with little research experience (like a summer or two in med school) and that's what I wanted to emphasize here.

Nobody ever said clinical research required a PhD so everyone is on the same page there. We were discussing the advantage of having a PhD for basic research and now that you agree that having a PhD makes one more competitive we are all on the same page there as well. OP, I hope that helps answer your question.
Well since the OP didn't specify and the concept just kind of materialized in the first handful of responses, I didn't find it that obvious that we had made a distinction. But yes, glad we're all in agreement finally lol.

I would like to see patients for a majority of the time and do research on the side. So I'm guessing I going to stay away from the MD/PHD track then

I don't know why everyone assumed you wanted to do basic science research unless I missed something. :confused:

If you want to see patients a majority of the time, just do the MD. You can do clinical research on the side very easily (no training needed). I've published in my spare time doing clinical research.

I don't know why everyone assumed you wanted to do basic science research unless I missed something. :confused:

If you want to see patients a majority of the time, just do the MD. You can do clinical research on the side very easily (no training needed). I've published in my spare time doing clinical research.
:thumbup:

Exactly my goal and exactly why I don't feel that I need a PhD, though I'm interested in MD/MS in Clinical Research/Investigation.

If your an oncologist (MD) you will know if the lung cancer is big cell or small cell, but if you're an MD/PhD that studies cancer, you know that this particular cancer is caused by over phosphorlyation of the EGF receptor, which interacts with the Grb2 protein, in a signalling cascade that promotes cell proliferation.

BRTky.jpeg

You can do research with just a md.
But some students are just interested in fields like biophysics, cell/molecular bio, endocrin, psychology..etc and want to have a deeper understanding of the field.

ugh.... I realized this was an old thread halfway through my multi-quote.... whelp, i guess I'm committed....

However MD/PhD ppl get bigger hiring packages (more money, more space, etc) than MD ppl who get bigger packages than PhD ppl (or at least that's what I heard), but you're not at a disadvantage. It's just what work you do/ what you choos eto do with yourself and what you make out of your career. You can pretty much choose how much/ what kind of research - clinical research vs. bench work is VERY different in terms of lifestyle/pressure/projects/team/schedule. You can choose what proportion of each you want to do. And pay drops significantly - my friend who graduated from HMS and did her residency at MGH is making 90K/year because she decided research is her passion. It's stressful because sometimes she's not sure if grants will come through (and if they don't she can't maintain her salary, and she has mortgages etc to pay), so once in a while she'll completely drop off the radar and vanish from life, only to reemerge when grants kick in. Just some anecdotal stuff. She does do clinical one day a week and serves as attending once in a while on a calendar rotation and whatnot. She's happy where she is. She has faith that things will continue to grow and lift off. It's what she likes to do. So yes it is possible. She could have chosen much less research or a very different lifestyle, it's what she enjoys.

I also know a lot of MDs who regret not doing a PhD because they feel a learning curve when they get thrown into lab after residency
I do not know this to be true.... at my institution there is a pretty even spread between MDs and MD/PhDs who have massive labspace. we also have a redonkulous number of plain PhDs running around as well. It comes down to your publication history, and it isnt really any harder to start research as an MD vs a "Dr Dr"

yes. experience is key and gives a leg up when wanting to do research as a clinician. It def doesnt hurt :thumbup:

PhDs are "allowed" to do research as well. The problem is that PhD-only cannot really break into clinical, and MD vs MD/PhDs are on pretty similar footing when it comes to translational or clinical research. basic sciences only? probably not an MDs gig, but why would you want to when your lab can focus on the bench stuff and you can tie into practice.

You can do it either way. If you want to be primarily a researcher, MD/PhD programs will help you develop in that field of interest (especially if it's bioengineering/math/humanities) and will allow you to graduate with minimal debt from the program. However, if you're interested in clinical research or lab science, try to get involved during medical school and do a research residency. It will prepare you enough to spend your career as a physician-scientist without adding years to your training. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk to someone partway through an MD/PhD :)
absolutely!:thumbup::thumbup:

The thing that helped me decide though is really introspection. As undergrad we have limited experience in both the lab and clinic, but you know what type of person you are. If your an oncologist (MD) you will know if the lung cancer is big cell or small cell, but if you're an MD/PhD that studies cancer, you know that this particular cancer is caused by over phosphorlyation of the EGF receptor, which interacts with the Grb2 protein, in a signalling cascade that promotes cell proliferation. Are you the type of person who really wants to know what is going at the molecular level, or are you happy just understanding the physiological/disease outcome? Just try to figure out what type of person you are and the answer will become clearer.

Lastly, can you see yourself spending most of your time in the clinic or the lab? I thought about it and I realized I needed a challenging variety and would never want to be a solely a clinician or researcher, so MD/PhD makes sense. Even though it is unlikely you can do research and clinic work simultaneously for your entire career, if that's what you think is ideal you should shoot for MD/PhD
this is just an incredibly naive statement....

let me put it into perspective for you: if a pre-med can also tell us this in an open forum, then I suspect your MD can also tell you the same ;)

Also, why the hell, as a patient, would you want to know the molecular side of your illness? Go to medical school first, then start drawing up the similarities and differences once you are informed :confused:

^ This is a good explanation.

^ This is just plain wrong.
I am on the fence for joining the MD/PhD program after 2nd year... I have actually been told that it is easier getting NIH funding as an MD only (I have some difficulty swallowing this, but still, ive been told...) because the NIH is more interested in funding transnational and clinical work at the moment which is a more "sure thing" without a PhD. I still think it will come down to prior work and your proposals, but I am not in the middle of the research world at the moment and the people who told me this are currently submitting grant proposals... so take it for what it is worth. either way we have a huge "physician scientist" push at our school which is headed up by "just an MD" :laugh:, this "just an MD" and several other "Just an MD's" also make many sink-or-swim decisions for the MD/PhD program around here. It just comes down to what you want to do and how you want to go about doing it. There are also research fellowhsips which offer good opportunities for "just MDs" to get their feet wet.

There is also the money argument, but if you think about it, in a dual degree program you get 4 years of med school paid for which is usually about 200-300k. You also miss out on 3-4 years of physician salary and if we assume similar total working years for the population of physicians, you actually come out behind since that adds up to 600-1,200k assuming about a 200k average salary (and remember, residency is another constant, so remember to factor out terms which are on both sides of the equation) :thumbup:

I am on the fence for joining the MD/PhD program after 2nd year... I have actually been told that it is easier getting NIH funding as an MD only (I have some difficulty swallowing this, but still, ive been told...) because the NIH is more interested in funding transnational and clinical work at the moment which is a more "sure thing" without a PhD. I still think it will come down to prior work and your proposals, but I am not in the middle of the research world at the moment and the people who told me this are currently submitting grant proposals... so take it for what it is worth. either way we have a huge "physician scientist" push at our school which is headed up by "just an MD" :laugh:, this "just an MD" and several other "Just an MD's" also make many sink-or-swim decisions for the MD/PhD program around here. It just comes down to what you want to do and how you want to go about doing it. There are also research fellowhsips which offer good opportunities for "just MDs" to get their feet wet.
Interesting. Thanks for the input. It seems I was way off before about the funding thing, but it makes sense that the degree difference could still play a role.

as I said... I am still not completely convinced it works like that, but the PhD people ive talked to are adamant.... who knows, they may just blame the MD's when they don't get their funding ;)

Either way I do not anticipate having difficulty getting involved in research during my practice so again, it is just about what you want and how you want to get there.