MD/PhDs Well Suited to International Work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe a silly question, but are there any MD/PhDs combination that are particularly well suited to work in developing countries? Maybe something like epidemiology or studying infectious disease? Basically something that could be combined with spending time in the field collecting data and providing medical services in less developed regions of the world...

Members don't see this ad.

You can get your phd in a public health related field, which would definitely give you the opportunity to do international work.

Maybe a silly question, but are there any MD/PhDs combination that are particularly well suited to work in developing countries? Maybe something like epidemiology or studying infectious disease? Basically something that could be combined with spending time in the field collecting data and providing medical services in less developed regions of the world...
yes, a PhD in international health or just an MPH would be helpful, but if your goal is to do int. stuff I don't think an MD. PhD is the best use of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Paul Farmer is an MD/PhD. He did his PhD in anthropology.

I would say you can find a way to do international work with almost any MD/PhD. Epi and ID are the most usual routes, but the many of the same medical issues face countries all around the world. For instance, we're starting to hear more about research into cardiovascular disease in countries like India where life expectancy is increasing along with access to medical care. Additionally, there is a push to include developing countries in clinical trials of all types to reduce the disparities in early access to novel treatments.

Paul Farmer is an MD/PhD. He did his PhD in anthropology.

I would say you can find a way to do international work with almost any MD/PhD. Epi and ID are the most usual routes, but the many of the same medical issues face countries all around the world. For instance, we're starting to hear more about research into cardiovascular disease in countries like India where life expectancy is increasing along with access to medical care. Additionally, there is a push to include developing countries in clinical trials of all types to reduce the disparities in early access to novel treatments.
and what use does a PhD do for his current work? It never hurts, but the opportunity cost I don't think is worth it.

yes, a PhD in international health or just an MPH would be helpful, but if your goal is to do int. stuff I don't think an MD. PhD is the best use of your time.

Ideally, I agree, but certainly there is something to be said for flexibility. An MD/PhD is perhaps not the most expedient route to that goal, but it doesn't strike me as a bad place to be either. Still, the point is well taken.

and what use does a PhD do for his current work? It never hurts, but the opportunity cost I don't think is worth it.

Long-time lurker here - thought I'd join and respond to the Paul Farmer-related question.

What use does a PhD do for his current work? Perhaps you're not that familiar with his work. He has published over 100 scholarly articles and a few landmark texts in his field, writing extensively about global health disparity and human rights, and the role of socioeconomic inequalities in the epidemiology of otherwise treatable diseases. He isn't only a giant among physicians doing global health work, but also a well respected anthropologist - very much the quintessential physician/social scientist.

In short, the PhD, at least in his case, doesn't just "not hurt" - it's a critical aspect of the niche he's carved out for himself in socially and globally conscious academic medicine.

Long-time lurker here - thought I'd join and respond to the Paul Farmer-related question.

What use does a PhD do for his current work? Perhaps you're not that familiar with his work. He has published over 100 scholarly articles and a few landmark texts in his field, writing extensively about global health disparity and human rights, and the role of socioeconomic inequalities in the epidemiology of otherwise treatable diseases. He isn't only a giant among physicians doing global health work, but also a well respected anthropologist - very much the quintessential physician/social scientist.

In short, the PhD, at least in his case, doesn't just "not hurt" - it's a critical aspect of the niche he's carved out for himself in socially and globally conscious academic medicine.
I see your point, but I don't think that is the goal of most MD, PhD programs. If I wanted to do international health stuff I wouldn't waste my time studying for quals.

I see your point, but I don't think that is the goal of most MD, PhD programs. If I wanted to do international health stuff I wouldn't waste my time studying for quals.

Fair enough. I guess the OP's question seemed to be more about whether there were any MD/PhD's well suited to international health work - and not necessarily whether MD/PhD is the "optimal" or "best" way to prepare for this kind of work. At the end of the day, I suppose it boils down to what each person feels is the best use of her/his time.