MD program in Bulgaria

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noticiero

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback about the MD programs in Bulgaria.

Some of the Bulgarian schools offer 6-year programs in English. Any thoughts on that?

Members don't see this ad.

I would not go to med school in Bulgaria. Many of the professors can barely speak English and you'll need a translator when working with patients. Additionally, you won't get quality clinical experience because the BG hospitals are in terrible financial and physical condition and don't have the high-tech equipment that you'll need to know how to use if you want to practice in the US. Although I'm Bulgarian, I'm currently applying to US medical schools. If your stats are too low to get into an US allopathic school try applying to DO schools and/or Carribean schools. I know University of Krakow in Poland has an English MD program which I've heard is much better than any English MD program in BG.

Listen to kiko, s/he's right. Bulgaria is not exactly an environment conducive to learning for someone who isn't from the country. The Caribbean is a far better option if your grades/MCAT are not competitive for US MD & DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there, i guess if you want to practice in Europe, your best bet would be the central european medical universities (Czech Republic, Hungary, and Poland).

here are some of the best univs. in Central Europe (and Europe for that matter of fact):

Czech Republic: Charles University (First Faculty of Medicine, Second faculty of medicine, Hradec Kralove faculty of medicine)

Poland: KMU, Warsaw medical university etc.

Hungary: DOTE, SOTE etc.

If you have more questions, just send me a pm. I'm currently studying in the Charles First Faculty of Medicine, Prague and the quality of education (in terms of the curricula) is very challenging and good despite few problems like the language barrier (which btw only happens with a few profs.)

I`ll have to agree with Kiko. I`m also Bulgarian and I`m a student in MA Sofia Pharmaceutical Faculty. The level of teaching is good as far as I`m concerned although the equipment we`re working with is a few decades old. I personally wouldn`t rely on education in Bulgaria to get me a work position in another country. I`m planning to apply to the ERASMUS program held in the University of Roma to get the kind of experience necessary for working in a foreign country.

So I wouldn`t advertise Bulgaria to someone from the USA or GB or anywhere else. Truth is you`ll have much better opportunities in your own country and Bulgaria won`t be good for you even as an escape option having failed the exams where you live.

Matter of factly we have a couple dozen students from countries like Turkey Macedonia Greece... For what their opinion counts for they like the education here.

I`ll have to agree with Kiko. I`m also Bulgarian and I`m a student in MA Sofia Pharmaceutical Faculty. The level of teaching is good as far as I`m concerned although the equipment we`re working with is a few decades old. I personally wouldn`t rely on education in Bulgaria to get me a work position in another country. I`m planning to apply to the ERASMUS program held in the University of Roma to get the kind of experience necessary for working in a foreign country.

So I wouldn`t advertise Bulgaria to someone from the USA or GB or anywhere else. Truth is you`ll have much better opportunities in your own country and Bulgaria won`t be good for you even as an escape option having failed the exams where you live.

Matter of factly we have a couple dozen students from countries like Turkey Macedonia Greece... For what their opinion counts for they like the education here.

I'm sure your honesty is helpful for potential students, so thank you for that.

As far as Turks, Macedonians, and Greeks liking it there, I suppose that is to be expected. I'd assume, due to proximity, those students would have no problem moving over to Bulgaria. Also, it's probably less of a culture shock than a Western European or American uprooting themselves halfway across th world to live in a place like Bulgaria.

Also, let's not forget that moving from Turkey or Macedonia is an improvement in some ways. Bulgaria has a higher purchasing power parity than both Macedonia and Turkey as well as a higher human development index rating. Bulgaria would be very hard for someone to adjust to coming fro ma wealthy Western country, but coming from poorer areas, it's probably quite comfortable.

Meh... I`m glad we made those things clear. Other than that I will never be caught saying I dislike my country. I enjoy my university training I do well on exams and don`t have any problems with corruption or lack of enthusiasm in lecturers. Everything`s so thrilling to a firstie :p (first-year).

So if you ever feel like coming here as a tourist even there`s a lot of things that Bulgaria has to offer. That`s if you`re interested in the nature history monasteries mountines - the rural area is a great place to just go out backpacking moving from town to town. For example I sort of stumbled on this girl from Washington DC one day in Koprivshtica - she was backpacking all through countries in Eastern Europe during her summer vacation in uni. She ended up taking a ride with us to Sofia and we talked a lot about what she liked in Bulgaria.

Check the thumbnails bottom page on the link bellow to get an idea of what Sofia looks like.

http://photo-forum.net/res/15izlojba/

PP: We can cry over how misunderstood we are around the world 24/7 and still we`re the only ones who are able to do something about it. ;)

Naselenie02.jpg