MD Residencies that ACCEPT COMLEX and DOs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDO2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was interested in pursuing neurology and want to know is it okay just to take the COMLEX? I know neurology isn't competitive except for well-known institutions and I did not want to torture myself in preparation for COMLEX and USMLE.

Also, do most allopathic programs just accept COMLEX and what are programs that won't take DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

It's awesome that you want to pursue neurology! It's an incredible field and it is becoming more and more popular. As a DO I would recommend taking the USMLE especially if you intend to apply to allopathic neurology programs. I say this because most program directors don't know what the heck the comlex is or how to compare it to the usmle. Since you will be competing against MDs for these spots you should make your application as competitive as possible and that means taking the usmle.

The best way to find out if a program is DO friendly is to search their current residents or look at the osteopathic match lists to see where people are matching.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you a DO student that had trouble matching into neuro without USMLE? The reason I ask is that I sort of don't want to take 2 board exams next summer and thought neuro wasn't that competitive so COMLEX would do, but I understand your point of allopathic program directors not understanding what COMLEX is...

Many programs I've seen do not accept DO's which is a shame because they take a few FMGs...

Maybe they didn't accept any DOs because they didn't take the USMLE like you, and the FMGs did? The PDs need a basis of comparison across all of the applicants. Just study for the USMLE, take it, study OMM for a week, and then take the COMLEX. Lots of kids do just fine according to your forum with that plan. My school takes DOs for every residency and fellowship, we even have DOs in heme/onc and neurosurg but you can bet they all took the USMLE and did well. If you don't take the USMLE, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

I took both exams. It really wasn't that bad. I actually liked the USMLE better than the COMLEX. It seems like a pain but it really is to your benefit to take both. I agree with the guy above that you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you don't. A classmate of mine only took the comlex and ended up with fewer interviews than those of us who took both exams.

While neurology isn't as competitive as derm it is still fairly competitive and getting a residency isn't a guarantee. You've put in a ton of work by going to medical school you should do everything you can to make sure you get to do the residency you want.

If you really only want to take the COMLEX then focus on applying to DO neuro programs.

I might take both...because I heard if you do bad on USMLE, you don't have to report your score?

I haven't researched much yet...I just survived first year of medical school and want to take everything step by step so I'll focus on second year classes and then boards...

I haven't researched much yet...I just survived first year of medical school and want to take everything step by step so I'll focus on second year classes and then boards...

Really? You don't have the ability to do well on classes while also looking forward to things in your future?

The biggest mistake that I made in my medical school career was not studying for the COMLEX as much as possible when possible. There is so much minutia and BS that your profs test that WILL NOT EVER make it to the COMLEX (or USMLE for that matter) and you will never see again.

My advice,
Youel's prep course. Just google it. I took his home based study course, well, over 10 years ago, I received a bunch of books and VCR tapes in the mail. THEY WERE WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!! If this stuff even still exists, I am sure that by now it is more modern .e.g. discs, ipad accessible,etc.

Now, Yoeul's is geared for the USMLE. Back in my day, if you called customer service, you GOT CONNECTED TO DR. YOUEL personally! I asked him if he thought it would help with COMLEX. He told me that many osteopathic students call him up and thanked him for his help. I would agree, it was one of the best preps minus the OMM stuff.

I highly suggest that you get Dr. Youels stuff and review it every week. I wish somebody had told me this back in my day!!!

Also, there are the Northwestern Board review courses. These are geared specificially for the COMLEX and and they will reimburse your board fee if you fail.

Listen, I remember how medical school was. I know that there are gunners out there that are probably already signed up for the USMLE and have been studying for it back when they were in pre-med because if they got a score of less than 99% in anything, then they might not match into ortho, ent, derm etc.

As much as I hate to say this, you could be the brightest individial on the face of the planet, you might even find a cure for HIV for all I care, if you screw up your boards, it WILL ALWAYS BE HELD AGAINST YOU, no matter what you do, EVER!!!

Nobody wants to believe this but I've seen it more times than I care to mention. I'll give only one example. I recall once in my residency we were reviewing applicants. We had one spot left and it came down to two applicants. One guy had an awesome record!! Great grades, high USMLE scores, etc. He failed to match into ENT but argued on his application that he liked head/neck neuro, neurotology and was once a nurse on a neuro ward. The other applicant was mediocre and did not match into PM&R. I casted my vote for the later applicant, with the argument that there was more cross over in neuro with PM&R than ENT. I watched everybody else vote for the former applicant for no reason other than he had higher board score. Well, he lasted one year before he resigned. The other person went to a different program and today is a neurologist.

Okay, back to the point, no matter what you do, whether you take COMLEX or both COMLEX/USMLE, start your studies early!!

Also, DO bias, in my experience didn't have much to do with grades/scores as it did geography. DO's are a dime a dozen in Michigan and most of the Mid-atlantic. Out West, seriously, some PDs are not even aware that DOs can practice medicine and think they are the equivalent to chiropractor. I would base your decision to take the USMLE upon where in the country you wish to be located. If you want to practive in the mid-west or mid-atlantic, then you might be wasting your time.

The biggest mistake that I made in my medical school career was not studying for the COMLEX as much as possible when possible. There is so much minutia and BS that your profs test that WILL NOT EVER make it to the COMLEX (or USMLE for that matter) and you will never see again.

My advice,
Youel's prep course. Just google it. I took his home based study course, well, over 10 years ago, I received a bunch of books and VCR tapes in the mail. THEY WERE WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!! If this stuff even still exists, I am sure that by now it is more modern .e.g. discs, ipad accessible,etc.

Now, Yoeul's is geared for the USMLE. Back in my day, if you called customer service, you GOT CONNECTED TO DR. YOUEL personally! I asked him if he thought it would help with COMLEX. He told me that many osteopathic students call him up and thanked him for his help. I would agree, it was one of the best preps minus the OMM stuff.

I highly suggest that you get Dr. Youels stuff and review it every week. I wish somebody had told me this back in my day!!!

Also, there are the Northwestern Board review courses. These are geared specificially for the COMLEX and and they will reimburse your board fee if you fail.

Listen, I remember how medical school was. I know that there are gunners out there that are probably already signed up for the USMLE and have been studying for it back when they were in pre-med because if they got a score of less than 99% in anything, then they might not match into ortho, ent, derm etc.

As much as I hate to say this, you could be the brightest individial on the face of the planet, you might even find a cure for HIV for all I care, if you screw up your boards, it WILL ALWAYS BE HELD AGAINST YOU, no matter what you do, EVER!!!

Nobody wants to believe this but I've seen it more times than I care to mention. I'll give only one example. I recall once in my residency we were reviewing applicants. We had one spot left and it came down to two applicants. One guy had an awesome record!! Great grades, high USMLE scores, etc. He failed to match into ENT but argued on his application that he liked head/neck neuro, neurotology and was once a nurse on a neuro ward. The other applicant was mediocre and did not match into PM&R. I casted my vote for the later applicant, with the argument that there was more cross over in neuro with PM&R than ENT. I watched everybody else vote for the former applicant for no reason other than he had higher board score. Well, he lasted one year before he resigned. The other person went to a different program and today is a neurologist.

Okay, back to the point, no matter what you do, whether you take COMLEX or both COMLEX/USMLE, start your studies early!!

Also, DO bias, in my experience didn't have much to do with grades/scores as it did geography. DO's are a dime a dozen in Michigan and most of the Mid-atlantic. Out West, seriously, some PDs are not even aware that DOs can practice medicine and think they are the equivalent to chiropractor. I would base your decision to take the USMLE upon where in the country you wish to be located. If you want to practive in the mid-west or mid-atlantic, then you might be wasting your time.

Hmm, this is the first I've heard about Dr. Youel's prep course. He's listed as an Assistant Clinical Professor at my school. How much does it cost?