MD School suggestions

Started by mafiate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mafiate

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying to med school this summer and am looking at possible places to apply.

I goto UC Berkeley, am a California resident and my stats are:

GPA: 3.77
MCAT: 37

lots of research, publication, and health related activities including 1 year of clinical experience and loads of leadership experience

I am obvious applying to all the California schools, but what are other schools that would fit my research interest, is in a cosmopolitan environment, and is a school that fits my stats.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I didn't mean it in that way. I just want to get into the best med school as I can. I'm sure you guys feel the same.

Originally posted by sgilani
oh brother 🙄
 
Will you people ever learn that THERE IS NO BLOODY WAY OF TELLING WHAT SCHOOL MAY ACCEPT YOU!!!

There are no upper GPA cutoffs
There are no lower GPA cutoffs
There are no MCAT cutoffs
There are no volunteering hour cutoffs
There are no race cutoffs
There are no age cutoffs


Get my drift?
 
Originally posted by mafiate
I will be applying to med school this summer and am looking at possible places to apply.

I goto UC Berkeley, am a California resident and my stats are:

GPA: 3.77
MCAT: 37

lots of research, publication, and health related activities including 1 year of clinical experience and loads of leadership experience

I am obvious applying to all the California schools, but what are other schools that would fit my research interest, is in a cosmopolitan environment, and is a school that fits my stats.

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

You're fine, just pick like 12 places you would really like to go to and Im pretty sure you will get into one. Since youre Cali, you probably want at least half your schools to be out of state due to low acceptance %-ages at some of your state schools.
 
I would tend to disagree with idq1i. The OP can be pretty sure he'll get in SOMEWHERE (some schools are all about numbers, so he could be pretty wooden and still get in), which is pretty good. Also, from all my friends who applied, there were few surprises, which all had to do with extra-curriculars or personality stuff.

GO with your state schools + some top twenty schools you like + some private schools that you statistically are a lock at.

PLEASE, do some research into your schools before you apply. A shotgun approach (like most people do) is wasteful in time and money. Consider stuff like what environment you want to be in, states, and stuff like that. That's just good advice for anyone above a 30 3.5.

Also rank isn't everything. There are some top twenty schools with some sketch facilities, and some lesser schools with nice facilities. Also, as several (well known) professors here have said, when you walk into any school in the top ten, you really can't tell the difference. They're all very similar. I don't have enough experience to make that comment, but I believe it.
 
Originally posted by idq1i

There are no lower GPA cutoffs
There are no MCAT cutoffs

Get my drift?

this is not correct.

In my state USF and UM both have know cut offs. Other schools in the state may as well but keep them to themselves.
 
If you like Cosmopolitan places, go for:

Columbia and Cornell (NY)
U of Chicago and Northwestern (Chicago)
Emory (Atlanta)
UCLA and UCSF

Some other good schools are:
Duke
U Penn
Hopkins
Stanford
Yale
U of Michigan
Baylor
U of Pittsburgh
Washington University, St. Louis
University of Washington
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill