MD schools contacting me to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evo512

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for schools to contact you by email to ask you to apply? I have been contacted by Creighton and Feinberg. Seemed surprising considering im out of state for both of them and my stats are on the low end of MD 506 MCAT, 3.45 cGPA (I understand they probably dont know that). I am a URM which at least one of them mentioned. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Normal? Sure, why not? I wouldn't take it too much to heart though.

Pretty much all schools are feeling pressure to increase URM enrollment, so there is a scramble to identify and attract qualified URM applicants. The e-mail is nothing more than an effort to get you in the pool. It doesn't mean anything by itself.

They are buying your name from AAMC, and all they know about you is what range your MCAT falls into, plus that you self-identify as URM. The smart move is to only apply where you would like to attend and think you are a fit, without reading anything into marketing efforts designed to increase URM representation.

If you don't think you are a fit, you are probably correct. A blind e-mail sent to hundreds or thousands of people like you who recently took the MCAT is really not going to increase your chances of admission. OTOH, if they throw in a fee waiver, then there is absolutely no reason not to take a shot, even if it's a very long shot!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Both programs do this - part of a diversity initiative. If I remember correctly they screen using the AAMC mcat database. It means you cleared their MCAT minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got contacted by a couple schools where I was below their average MCAT (even 10%tile for some of them!). I ended up getting interviews and later As at about half of them. It is definitely worth trying!

I'd they come from a diversity inclusion office, send them an email mentioning the form of contact you received. I got a few fee waivers that way!

Is it normal for schools to contact you by email to ask you to apply? I have been contacted by Creighton and Feinberg. Seemed surprising considering im out of state for both of them and my stats are on the low end of MD 506 MCAT, 3.45 cGPA (I understand they probably dont know that). I am a URM which at least one of them mentioned. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.
Both of these schools are private schools and don’t really care about IS v OOS. They do care about recruiting qualified URM students.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally, I say if you’d be interested in either of those programs you should go for it. There really isn’t much to lose.

Reactions: 1 users