Md Spouse….is It Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toocomplicated?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I know that this is a little bit too intimae and maybe is not appropriate to be asked but I don’t know what to do!!!

My MCAT is 25. I also love the idea to be a DO. Thus I will apply only to DO schools. I am going to get married in this summer. My future wife will finish her MD degree outside of USA this summer. I heard that DO schools do not like too much the idea of a spouse MD. I do not understand WHY?

What should I do? Unfortunately I do not have time at all right now to send the application. I hope that I will have some time after the summer.

Will this make my application worse? Should I send my application before getting married?

Members don't see this ad.

toocomplicated? said:
I heard that DO schools do not like too much the idea of a spouse MD.

This is false. Nobody will care if your wife is an MD.

No where on your transcript does it ask the occupation of your spouse and I doubt it would be brought up in interviews unless you made a big deal about.

toocomplicated? said:
Hi,

I know that this is a little bit too intimae and maybe is not appropriate to be asked but I don’t know what to do!!!

My MCAT is 25. I also love the idea to be a DO. Thus I will apply only to DO schools. I am going to get married in this summer. My future wife will finish her MD degree outside of USA this summer. I heard that DO schools do not like too much the idea of a spouse MD. I do not understand WHY?

What should I do? Unfortunately I do not have time at all right now to send the application. I hope that I will have some time after the summer.

Will this make my application worse? Should I send my application before getting married?

I don't know if you're kidding but if you're not - that is not true. Who told you that information? I'd definately question any further information you get from them. They might ask about your parents being M.D.'s just out of curiousity (i.e. "So your father is an M.D. Why didn't you choose to go M.D. and how does he feel about your decision?") but it still won't hurt your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
toocomplicated? said:
Hi,

I think it'll be ok really. I've never heard of a DO school turning someone down because their spouse was an MD.

Just curious, what lead you to beleive that person who told you that DO schools would not like your spouse being an MD?

toocomplicated? said:
Hi,

What you should do: get marrierd, enjoy the ceremony, apply, and stop worrying (about the issue of spouse being an MD affecting your chances). DO schools will not discriminate based on your personal life. Whoever told you that is NOT very encouraging, supportive, or knowledgeable.

I wish you the best!

Who cares about MD or DO stuff. Seriously, it doesn't really matter where you go to medical school as long as it is fully accredited and in the US. The reason I am going to a DO school is because my Mentor is a DO and I am honoring him and the profession because he is the one who got me interested in medicine. I could have gone to an MD school and if my Mentor wasn't a DO i probably would have. Really, MD/DO stuff doesn't matter, we all like eachother. The only MD's you see that discriminate are the ones from the carribean. This is because they feel inadequate and try to find some way to vent their frustrations.

better watch out. next she may start shopping for pants, and we all know what happens after that.

Dude, my wife's an MD. She's encouraging me to go to DO school!

I know another married couple here who has the MD/DO combination. They are favorite speakers at pre-med events. You know, "What's the difference between an MD and a DO?" that pre-meds love to agonize about.

And if it is a problem for a particular school -- so much so that they wouldn't accept you for this reason -- you wouldn't want to attend there anyway.

HunterGatherer said:
This is false. Nobody will care if your wife is an MD.

No where on your transcript does it ask the occupation of your spouse and I doubt it would be brought up in interviews unless you made a big deal about.

Nobody cares about what degree your wife has.