MD to Flight Paramedic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FroggerMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an EM attending but I used to be an EMT-D (years ago). I'm now working as an independent contractor so I have quite a bit of flexibility in my schedule. One thing i've always dreamed of doing is working as a flight doc for a helicopter medivac service. Unfortunately in the US, and where I live in CA it's essentially all flight nurses and paramedics. I've been flirting with the idea of challenging the paramedic exam, doing 40 hours of EMS shadowing (not sure how exactly this would work) and then applying for a part time spot.

Has anyone else done something like this? What do you think - doable?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know anything, just chiming in to say that would be a sweet gig to get...

I feel like there is something about having to have completed a certified program for education (i.e. gone to medic school), but I could be wrong.

As far as the test goes, when I took the NRMP exam, it was pretty straight forward. If I didn't know a question I followed the ABC rule and usually got me to an answer that was justifiable. Just remember, you are coming from the perspective of EMS and not an attending on the test.

I am mostly posting to see what the experts say here. Having been a former medic and having my license lapse due to med school, I'd be curious to see what people say, and if I could get it back easily or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine a situation where you have to jump through the hoop of becoming an EMT-P, when you are an EM attending, resulting in a fulfilling and meaningful flight medicine experience.

Flight physician here.

It's a misconception that there are no positions for physicians to do air medical/retrieval medicine in the US. There just aren't many places you can do it (as a physician). As you may or may not know, most other 1st-world countries have primarily physician-led HEMS - England, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, etc....

Off the top of my hand, institutions that fly attending physicians regularly are:
University of Wisconsin
Aero Med in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Cleveland Metro
University of Cincinnati

University of Cincinnati also flies resident physicians heavily, as does University of Chicago, and a few other institutions.

Having said that, if you're committed to California and not available to travel/move, then I don't know any places there that fly physicians, so moonlighting as a flight medic might be your best bet.

Reactions: 1 user
I know the UCLA/CHLA pediatric transport teams always have a physician in flight, and it's often a moonlighting EM resident, but they're obviously not treating on scene.

I've had Arrowhead residents come in with Reach Air from scene, but I assume it's just an elective for them.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
your and idiot if you think aeromed and car commutes have the same risk.

Thanks pre med! Obviously didn't catch the humor. Have fun at your "dank partayz" and "ragers" in medical school.

Also.. *you're. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Flight physician here.

It's a misconception that there are no positions for physicians to do air medical/retrieval medicine in the US. There just aren't many places you can do it (as a physician). As you may or may not know, most other 1st-world countries have primarily physician-led HEMS - England, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, etc....

Off the top of my hand, institutions that fly attending physicians regularly are:
University of Wisconsin
Aero Med in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Cleveland Metro
University of Cincinnati

University of Cincinnati also flies resident physicians heavily, as does University of Chicago, and a few other institutions.

Having said that, if you're committed to California and not available to travel/move, then I don't know any places there that fly physicians, so moonlighting as a flight medic might be your best bet.

Thanks! Yes, I know about those programs but was previously under the impression that it was mainly for residents to rotate during their training. Looks like Aero Med in Grand Rapids is hiring for per diem positions so that may be an option. I'm committed to California, at least for the next few years, but I'm definitely willing to fly out every 4-6 weeks for a few shifts. Let's see how it goes!

Yes -but only if you fly in small single engine helicopters run by for profit HEMS corporations
yeah, I remember skimming an article years ago about how flight evac choppers operate under a different jurisdiction (or something like that) than other helicopters in other industries and that comparatively their risks were much higher than flying in other circumstances....but that was many years ago and I'm sure they've tightened it up a bit now.

and you also draw an important distinction between types of flight evac

yeah, I remember skimming an article years ago about how flight evac choppers operate under a different jurisdiction (or something like that) than other helicopters in other industries and that comparatively their risks were much higher than flying in other circumstances....but that was many years ago and I'm sure they've tightened it up a bit now.

and you also draw an important distinction between types of flight evac

Sadly, regulations have changed little since that article was published. Usually, it is up to the program themselves to set and maintain a high enough bar to maximize safety margins.

MS1 here with interests in EM/EMS. I have nothing to add regarding the OP, but couldn't this be a legal gray area? An attending physician with an unrestricted license working as a flight paramedic under the medical direction of another physician (unless you're the medical director)?

Air ambulance services have incredibly high rates of malpractice lawsuits. There are a few reasons for this, but largely in part due to the fact that air ambulances usually pick up high risk cases, and patient's all expect a perfect outcome. The question is, do you want to tangle up your status as a physician in that mess trying to work as a flight paramedic? My two cents is that you find a place that will employ you as a physician, and will cover your malpractice...

I am a second year (going into 3rd year) and was a paramedic for 13 years before that. I worked the last 6 years of that time as a critical care flight paramedic. I often think about doing what you are talking about once I am out and done with residency. I maintain my paramedic and my FP-C still for just that reason.

I do some CE education and may have the opportunity to work limbo (PRN, maybe once a month) for a flight service here in town.

Honestly, it is a mixed bag. I will say that even flight services now seem to be getting more and more patients who likely did not need aeromedical transport. My opinion (for what it's worth) is that this stems from the saturation of and aggressive push from air medical providers encouraging EMS agencies to contact them - which leads to more patients being flown as a "precaution" due to mechanism. This is also happening at hospitals too. Air medical agencies and their parent hospitals are catching on to the fact that transporting sick and injured patients and drawing them into the system can pay (in some cases, in others it is a losing proposition). So hospitals are becoming aggressive with interfacility transfers...whether it be from one of their outlying facilities that flies under the same flag, or from another regional hospital that they have marketed to with the line, "we have a helicopter, if you ever need to transfer a patient, we can get there fast...".

Anyway, I digress a little bit, but the point I am trying to make is that in some shifts, there may be 2 out of 3 flights where you just shake your head, and at the end of the mission, realize the advanced level of care you COULD provide really made no difference for that patient, as they did not need it. You became an expensive taxi. So I just wanted to give some perspective. This varies by region and flight service, so making sure you target services with good safety cultures, good mission profiles, and progressive management is important.

Now with all of that, I will say this, even with all of the flights where I may not have felt like my services were needed, I was always happy that I was there in case I was needed, so please don't mistake my little rant as a criticism of the patients, the ground providers, the hospitals, or the work. It was really just a fact of life.

I said earlier 2 of 3 flights may be just an expensive taxi ride, but sometimes on that third flight you and your partner get to really pull a rabbit out of your hat and, as my old medical director used to say, "save the lives that nobody else can save." I am not so bold as to think that I am the only person in the world who has the skills or abilities necessary to do the work that I have done, but I will say that there have been more than a few calls where my partner and I looked at each other afterwards and knew that we got a chance to save a life that day...I am sure you know this already, but nothing really replaces that feeling. You probably get that feeling in the ER, but when it is just you, your partner, and the pilot with that patient, and you're managing 3 pressors, titrating sedation, adjusting vent settings and coming in for final at the hospital with the patient (relatively) stable and in 10 times better shape than when you picked them up...it is just a really satisfying feeling. That's about the best way I can describe it.

I can't help you directly with the question you asked regarding the logistics of getting on with a flight service as an MD or challenging the paramedic course, but feel free to PM me if you want to know any more about the nature of the work, or what to look for in a potential service to work for. There are services out there that I would work for in the drop of a hat, and there are services that I would turn and run as fast as I could. It can be difficult to tell the difference when you are looking to get your first flight gig.

Reactions: 3 users