MD vs DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentstd

Fena Gonzales
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went into dentistry because I wanted to work with my hands. Now that I'm in dentistry, my back is telling me I should've stayed in medicine.

...just sayin'. I'm just venting. Carry on, people.

Members don't see this ad.

I went into dentistry because I wanted to work with my hands. Now that I'm in dentistry, my back is telling me I should've stayed in medicine.

...just sayin'. I'm just venting. Carry on, people.

If you are using proper body mechanics, you back shouldn't be killing you. I went head first into a windshield 17 years ago and have had back issues since. But, when using indirect vision and proper body mechanics, I have not had any problems. The only time I ever feel anything is when I am cheating and trying to look at prepping teeth directly. Ask someone to watch you and critique your technique. Ask for feedback on how you might be able to improve your positioning.

Also, take up walking for 30-45 continuous minutes.

Most (assuming lower-back) problems people encounter are muscular knots in the lower back area (near the butt-dimples). Walking allows you to stretch those muscles, squeezing out the built up inflammation. Try it once, and you should feel a difference.

all the best to you