MD vs DO for High Stats (GPA >3.8 and MCAT >516)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LondonVibes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I need to reapply, I was considering applying DO and MD next cycle with a 4.0/519. What are the differences in the difficulty of obtaining an acceptance for MD and for DO for higher stat applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

Acceptance is 100% on you no mater where you apply.

Your high stats will be more likely to garner you IIs at DO schools.

DO schools do not engage in resource protection either. In any given 2-3 week interview cycle this past year, I'd say 10-30% of the interviewees had MCAT scores > 514 (ie, in the 90%ile).

Reactions: 1 user
If you need to reapply, you need to perform an autopsy on your entire app and application process. Interview skills,, personal statement, ECs, volunteering, shadowing, etc.. As my wise friend @Goro said above, acceptance is 100% on you. The limited info you have provided is certainly competetive, but GPA and MCAT are only 2 parameters for admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Acceptance is 100% on you no mater where you apply.

Your high stats will be more likely to garner you IIs at DO schools.

DO schools do not engage in resource protection either. In any given 2-3 week interview cycle this past year, I'd say 10-30% of the interviewees had MCAT scores > 514 (ie, in the 90%ile).
Thank you Goro! I am aware that the acceptance is on me and I have been working on my reapplication since May and feel it should be significantly stronger (at least if I write about it well). To clarify, you said that obtaining IIs are easier and acceptance is of a similar difficulty right.

Thank you Goro! I am aware that the acceptance is on me and I have been working on my reapplication since May and feel it should be significantly stronger (at least if I write about it well). To clarify, you said that obtaining IIs are easier and acceptance is of a similar difficulty right.
Correct

Got it. I was curious as to whether not applying DO was the downfall of this cycle (with the assumption that I did not want to reapply) but sounds like you're saying it's hard to know for sure. Especially with stories of people getting into MD and not DO> My MD apps did garner 3 IIs so the application has some merit at least I guess. Either way much stronger application if I need to reply.

Got it. I was curious as to whether not applying DO was the downfall of this cycle (with the assumption that I did not want to reapply) but sounds like you're saying it's hard to know for sure. Especially with stories of people getting into MD and not DO> My MD apps did garner 3 IIs so the application has some merit at least I guess. Either way much stronger application if I need to reply.
With stats like yours, you didn't need to apply DO.

For candidates like yourself, I always recommend it only upon a re-app.

Reactions: 1 users
With stats like yours, you didn't need to apply DO.

For candidates like yourself, I always recommend it only upon a re-app.
Yeah I see your point. I've already posted about my current cycle and plenty of weaknesses were pointed out, so those are probably bigger hinderances than not applying DO. Just curious, why do you recommend DO to high-stat people as reapplicants specifically?

Yeah I see your point. I've already posted about my current cycle and plenty of weaknesses were pointed out, so those are probably bigger hinderances than not applying DO. Just curious, why do you recommend DO to high-stat people as reapplicants specifically?
Because they've already lost one year of attending salary in applying, and all of their deficits might not be known (like poor interview skills or meh LORs).

Because they've already lost one year of attending salary in applying, and all of their deficits might not be known (like poor interview skills or meh LORs).
I see what you mean especially since more interviews would definitely help with an interview weakness.

Depends on how much you care.

If you care zero, apply both DO and MD from the get go.

If you care enough, and simultaneously recognize that this option may result in a lost cycle, apply MD only first cycle and MD/DO the second.

There's not really a right answer here. It's dependent on you and where your own wants/desires lie. I would only say it's objectively wrong if you're on your third+ cycle and still not applying DO.

• Love