MD MD vs DO from MD perspective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to take into account years three and four, and from what I have heard the quality of clinical rotations at a DO generally are not as high as most MD schools. That could lead to some differences in training outcomes at least going into intern year
I mean, MDs also dont know how to treat GERD with OMM so we have that going for us.
OMM for acid reflux/GI??
http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/coils/5-1-gerd.pdf?sfvrsn=2

You heard wrong......you sources are not legit
Might want to look at this
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Allopathic-Seniors-2016.pdf
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Charting-Outcomes-US-Osteopathic-2016.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

What does that have to do with what you said? This data shows DOs are successful in getting even the most competitive residencies...

Members don't see this ad :)
What does that have to do with what you said? This data shows DOs are successful in getting even the most competitive residencies...
Oh, no...

AnatomyGrey you need to write up a copy-pastable post for debunking this claim... it's your bread and butter.

Reactions: 1 user
Why hasn't this been moved to premed forum? I thought this forum was for med students

Why hasn't this been moved to premed forum? I thought this forum was for med students
It'd be a lot more productive if pre-meds wouldn't come on here and tell us how to be medical students thats for sure

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a hard question to answer because nobody has really done both. I’d say most USMD schools are just better organised with better standards in general for teaching.

First and second year nobody went to lecture. Which is pretty standard for both. We had some good teachers and some bad ones. 1st year was taught by mostly by PhDs and second year was taught by a mix of DOs and MDs

Most of my rotations as a DO didn’t have residents. There are no formal didactics 3rd or 4th year. Some preceptors teach. Some don’t even try. Some don’t make you show up at all. We are forced to do ~10 months of primary care called one thing or another (rural medicine, geriatrics, FM, peds, etc)

That’s not to say DOs graduate as worse doctors but the quality of education is not as good generally and it depends on the individual. I did some rotations with Caribbean MDs and DO School is still >>>>> than that.

I’ve never had a USMD Bring up a concept that I’m just completely unfamiliar with. Possibly some newer treatments that just came out in the past 5 years but there doesn’t seem to be a difference in material taught. Most DOs pass USMLE. In my view we just waste more time with some bad and unregulated rotations. Also most of us have never had an individual conversation with our dean. I think USMDs in general get more support. We also learn OMM which 90%+ of us never use professionally.

Accidentally commented to my attending (who is a DO) yesterday how cool I thought his "massage" technique with a patient was. Got a steely glance and "it's called manipulative medicine" haha woops...faux pas. I claim ignorance. No wonder he pimped me later.

Reactions: 3 users
Accidentally commented to my attending (who is a DO) yesterday how cool I thought his "massage" technique with a patient was. Got a steely glance and "it's called manipulative medicine" haha woops...faux pas. I claim ignorance. No wonder he pimped me later.
Lol no you're not ignorant. Our OMM professors get upset whenever we refer to soft tissue techniques as massages. But I will always know them as nothing more than just massages because truthfully that's what they are

Reactions: 3 users
Having been on Faculty at both types of schools, the students get the same thing, but in different flavors. The stuff of what doctors do seems to be more hands on that from the MD school I saw (but that was also some 20 years ago). Basic science stuff will be the same, but based upon the complaints I see on SDN, at MD schools research faculty sure seem to teach a lot more stuff about their own research, and less what med students actually need to know.
Giro you’ll have to forgiv me, but your last line in your post is the reason our PhDs are the bane of my existence

Lol no you're not ignorant. Our OMM professors get upset whenever we refer to soft tissue techniques as massages. But I will always know them as nothing more than just massages because truthfully that's what they are

Yeah pretty much. Feels good though, and one of the things I can actually see as being somewhat useful. My wife asks for a sub-occipital release about twice a week.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah pretty much. Feels good though, and one of the things I can actually see as being somewhat useful. My wife asks for a sub-occipital release about twice a week.

This is how the DOs are going to get back at the MDs. Better patient satisfaction from the female population in term of EVERYTHING, including their wives. :)

This is how the DOs are going to get back at the MDs. Better patient satisfaction from the female population in term of EVERYTHING, including their wives. :)

We're totally off-topic now, but I've actually had a few MD's ask me to teach them a few techniques precisely for that reason. Their thought process was that OMM makes their patients feel better almost immediately, when patients feel immediate relief they're happy, then they like their doctors, give good reviews/recommendations, and come back. Even in medicine, customer service is a thing, even if it shouldn't be.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd say that med school is really what you make of it. You can ask both DO and MD med students about the quality of education from their perspective and some will say it is good and others not so good

You can debate and talk until you’re blue in the face... (no. Don’t try to diagnose) but MDs are often arrogant, self-important, narcissistic jerks. But I don’t want a DO anywhere near me. Statistically not all are the same... but I’ve seen far too much holistic nonsense from DOs. “Go to herbal supplement store are get this trash that won’t help you but i want to interject my personal opinion over medical solutions.

Much like “straight” chiropractors as opposed to mixed. I’ll take the doctors who diagnose the problem head on.

MD please.

You can debate and talk until you’re blue in the face... (no. Don’t try to diagnose) but MDs are often arrogant, self-important, narcissistic jerks. But I don’t want a DO anywhere near me. Statistically not all are the same... but I’ve seen far too much holistic nonsense from DOs. “Go to herbal supplement store are get this trash that won’t help you but i want to interject my personal opinion over medical solutions.

Much like “straight” chiropractors as opposed to mixed. I’ll take the doctors who diagnose the problem head on.

MD please.
Can we shut this thread already?

Troll hard.

Reactions: 1 users

MD please.
Sorry to hear you’ve had bad experiences. Fortunately, your anecdotes are not representative of thousands of other physicians trained at DO schools.

Student quality? MD & DO have no differences. We're all nerds. MDs are better test takers though & have much better rotations.

MD please.

There's a truck load of evidence for a ton of herbal supplements. It's dangerous to attempt to treat true pathology with any supplement but to say that it doesn't have a role in prevention (mainly) & treatment shows you have very poor knowledge in this area.
Closing your eyes and hiding from literature or cherry picking studies to say "oh look supplements don't do anything!" shows you either lack intellectual curiosity or you're a premed.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.