MD vs. DO Salaries?????.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone of there is any literature comparing the salaries of MD and DOs?

Members don't see this ad.

they both bill and get paid by insurance companies using the same codes....so....there is no difference...end of story

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone of there is any literature comparing the salaries of MD and DOs?

MD= Legal Physician
DO= Legal Physician

Legal Physicians get the same, based on their speciality.:thumbup:

I imagine if you calculated the mean income of all D.O.s in the country compared to M.D.'s then the D.O. figure would be slightly lower. However, this is because a greater proportion of D.O.s go into traditionally lower paying specialties in primary care.

Within a single specialty, you aren't going to find any differences. Like someone else said, all doctors bill using the same ICD-9 and CPT codes and get reimbursed at the same rate. You have self-determination over how many hours you work and how many patients you see and thus how many claims you submit.

Salaried doctors might be a different story, but I doubt it. I can't see a hospital hiring one M.D. to work in their ER for one salary, then hiring a D.O. with the same experience for the exact same position at a lower one. No way.

in theory, there is no difference.

Salaried doctors might be a different story, but I doubt it. I can't see a hospital hiring one M.D. to work in their ER for one salary, then hiring a D.O. with the same experience for the exact same position at a lower one. No way.

It used to happen many years ago, but legal action a while ago made it so that it can't be done anymore.

+pity+

I tried a search but got nothing

Difference between MD and DO salary?

Physicians are hired as tradesman for the job of physician or surgeon, the degree qualifies you for the job but isn’t the job itself. Having said that, there is no discrepancy in salary between and MD and a DO, however it is debatable whether DOs or MDs make more money when self employed. There are way too many variable involved, such as location, local opinions, and individual performance to assess this. Here is a sample of discussions and opinions about this question:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=211261
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202236
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188100
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=184459
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=174042

That's at the top of this page, in the FAQ that says read this before posting. (Marks down a point for himself)

If a hospital is offering a lower salary for the same work due solely to the fact that you are a DO ... the simple solution is to walk away. There is a shortage of physicians out there (in all fields) and hospitals are trying desperately to recruit (whether it is a local community hospital or a large tertiary care university hospitals - all hospitals are in need of physicians right now). If a hospital wants to handicap itself by low-balling potential recruits, then let it suffer the consequences.

As a board certified physician, you are marketable. You determine your self-worth. How much pay, bonuses, call, vacation time, incentives, etc. you are willing to take is a negotiation between you and the hospital (or you and the group). If you are willing to take a low offer because "well, you are a DO not an MD", then the problem isn't the DO profession but you. If that's the case, you need to take a negotiation course at a local business school, and hire a better headhunter and contract lawyer.

I remember reading that MD's average about 140k compared to DOs at about 120k. However, I am sure this is almost entirely due to more DOs choosing primary care. Within a given specialty I'm sure it is the same. I can't find the link right now, I remember I stumbled on it when I was looking for something else completely unrelated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, according to payscale.com, male DOs median income is 141k compared to male MDs at 154k. Female DOs are at 128k and female MDs earn 141k. Keep in mind that these are voluntary responses and cannot be independently verified. Also they are not the largest sample sizes with about 300 for DOs and 4000 for MDs. The difference is almost certainly due to specialty choice.

That's at the top of this page, in the FAQ that says read this before posting. (Marks down a point for himself)

Take more than one point. It was in a sticky for God's sake.

How many more of these MD vs. DO vs. whatever else you want threads are there going to be?

Ok, according to payscale.com, male DOs median income is 141k compared to male MDs at 154k. Female DOs are at 128k and female MDs earn 141k. Keep in mind that these are voluntary responses and cannot be independently verified. Also they are not the largest sample sizes with about 300 for DOs and 4000 for MDs. The difference is almost certainly due to specialty choice.

Once again showing that females are still being paid less than males for the same work. Talk about progress. :rolleyes:

Once again showing that females are still being paid less than males for the same work. Talk about progress. :rolleyes:

More female doctors choose to work part time (which in medicine may very well be 40 hrs/week) or other accomodations to work to give them time with their kids. Doesn't necesarily mean that there's any bias against women physicians leading to the difference in pay.
As to the DO/MD difference, that's probably tied to the fact that more DOs choose to go into primary care specialties that pay less (on average) than the more narrowed specialties.

I agree that in all likelihood, DOs and MDs in the same specialty will earn the same amount. However, if you are choosing between MD and DO you should know that, for whatever reason, DO schools do not seem to prepare their students for the USMLE as well as MD schools do. The pass rate for US MDs in 2006 for the USMLE Step 1 was 93% as opposed to 76% for DOs. This is important because many competitive residencies strongly recommend, if not require, taking the USMLE as opposed to COMLEX and the score you get is an important factor in their decision. Incidentally, these competitive residencies are generally in the higher-paying specialties to get back to your original question. That said, if you are very self-motivated you can do well on the USMLE regardless of what degree you have. Of course this whole discussion is moot if you know you want to go into primary care.

However, if you are choosing between MD and DO you should know that, for whatever reason, DO schools do not seem to prepare their students for the USMLE as well as MD schools do. The pass rate for US MDs in 2006 for the USMLE Step 1 was 93% as opposed to 76% for DOs.

Interesting, but I do not think I would say it is because of the DO preparation that is the cause of the discrepancy. I would guess that because (for the most part) MD students scored higher on the MCAT they are either more intelligent as a whole or are simply score better on standardized test scores (I prefer the later cause I'm not so great on the MCAT).

Therefore MD students will naturally perform better on the USMLE, not because of the education they receive in med school. Plus, I think USMLE success is more based on studying for the USMLE than what you actually learn in CLASS anyways...

I agree that in all likelihood, DOs and MDs in the same specialty will earn the same amount. However, if you are choosing between MD and DO you should know that, for whatever reason, DO schools do not seem to prepare their students for the USMLE as well as MD schools do. The pass rate for US MDs in 2006 for the USMLE Step 1 was 93% as opposed to 76% for DOs. This is important because many competitive residencies strongly recommend, if not require, taking the USMLE as opposed to COMLEX and the score you get is an important factor in their decision. Incidentally, these competitive residencies are generally in the higher-paying specialties to get back to your original question. That said, if you are very self-motivated you can do well on the USMLE regardless of what degree you have. Of course this whole discussion is moot if you know you want to go into primary care.

It is definitely not the education that is the reason for this discrepancy, because both 2 years of school are almost identical for both schools, but I agree that it is a combination of student body (more allopaths are better test takers) and the fact that DO students are trained to pass the COMLEX, which is a bit different compared to the USMLE. And if I were a DO student I would not be scared of a 75% passing rate. For one thing those are pretty good odds, but mostly you will pass and do well if you are confident and prepared. Remember, many DO students choose to go into AOA residencies meaning they dont need the USMLE, but will take it (whether they feel fully prepared or not) in case they completely ace it to maybe increase their chances of an ACGME residency. No allopathic student will take the USMLE if they are not fully prepared. Look at the COMLEX pass rates for DO schools and it is similar to the pass rates of allopathic students to the USMLE because DO students know they have to pass that test no matter what.

Look at the COMLEX pass rates for DO schools and it is similar to the pass rates of allopathic students to the USMLE because DO students know they have to pass that test no matter what.

or is the comlex just easier to pass?

This is one of those threads that should have been closed after the first reply.

Take your business elsewhere.

Interesting response...seems like someone is sensitive.

It seems like a legitimate question to me. Considering I am only applying to DO schools I dont know exactly where I am supposed to be taking my business.

Interesting response...seems like someone is sensitive.

It seems like a legitimate question to me. Considering I am only applying to DO schools I dont know exactly where I am supposed to be taking my business.

Read the post above the first one of yours I quoted. The tests are geared for the different schools. No test is easier than the other. DO students can do exemplary on the USMLE as well as the COMLEX.

DOs have a higher earning potential due to the training in OMT which allows them to bill for additional therapeutic modalities.

Riker here.

Males have been proven to be better at science and mathematics. Hence they would be better doctors in many cases, leading to a higher salary. In all candor, would you rather see a male or a female E.N.T. surgeon? No one will admit it openly but it's the unspoken truth. :cool:

Riker-Delta out.

Riker here.

Star Trek nerds have been proven to be better at science and mathematics. Hence they would be better doctors in many cases, leading to a higher salary. In all candor, would you rather see a Klingon or a Romulan E.N.T. surgeon? No one will admit it openly but it's the unspoken truth. :cool:

I'm-a-virgin-Delta out.

Fixed that up for ya

Status
Not open for further replies.