MD vs DO Salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuro85

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious about whether DOs and MDs with the same credentials and specialties make about the same? I am asking this question because I have heard that some people tend to look down on DOs so I was wondering whether salary is one of the factors.

Members don't see this ad.

Please refer here
Difference between MD and DO salary?

Physicians are hired as tradesman for the job of physician or surgeon, the degree qualifies you for the job but isn’t the job itself. Having said that, there is no discrepancy in salary between and MD and a DO, however it is debatable whether DOs or MDs make more money when self employed. There are way too many variable involved, such as location, local opinions, and individual performance to assess this. Here is a sample of discussions and opinions about this question:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=211261
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=202236
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=188100
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=184459
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=174042

neuro85 said:
I am just curious about whether DOs and MDs with the same credentials and specialties make about the same? I am asking this question because I have heard that some people tend to look down on DOs so I was wondering whether salary is one of the factors.

there is no appreciable difference in pay. and I've heard some argue that as a FM doc you can make more as a DO by using OMT, I doubt that this is the whole story personally, but it has been argued.

Members don't see this ad :)
Salaries are paid based on experience in the field regardless of your degree, MD or DO.

:)

neuro85 said:

You're kidding, right?

Doctors are paid for seeing patients and performing procedures; not for having an MD or DO. When you bill an insurance company, Medicare, or a patient for these things, you are re-imbursed the same amount, regardless of degree.

Differences in salary between all doctors are based upon: specialty, type of practice, geographic location, and a number of other factors.

Pegasus52082 said:
You're kidding, right?

The person seemed to ask the question calmly and professionally. Perhaps giving him/her the benefit of the doubt would be appropriate.

From what I've heard the answer always comes back resoundingly: they make the same amount.

I shadowed two physicians specializing in sports medicine + OMT and they said that they make in the mid 100's, which is about average I think. Now I don't know if they were being less than 100% honest but 150-200k seems reasonable for the type of practice.

JPHazelton said:
The person seemed to ask the question calmly and professionally. Perhaps giving him/her the benefit of the doubt would be appropriate.

Thanks JPHazelton. I am only in my second year of college so I am just trying to find out more about both the MD and DO programs. I didn't mean to offend anyone. All I want is to be a doctor, the title does not matter to mean. I am just asking the question because I saw some information somewhere that contradict what I thought. I don't think the salary should be different if they are essentially the same. I also read somewhere on the forum where someone was talking about the difficult in getting into private practice.

neuro85 said:
Thanks JPHazelton. I am only in my second year of college so I am just trying to find out more about both the MD and DO programs. I didn't mean to offend anyone. All I want is to be a doctor, the title does not matter to mean. I am just asking the question because I saw some information somewhere that contradict what I thought. I don't think the salary should be different if they are essentially the same. I also read somewhere on the forum where someone was talking about the difficult in getting into private practice.

I think it is great that you are doing research about the profession. I am really starting to get annoyed (didnt happen until I started posting on SDN) with ppl who make ignorant assumptions about the medical profession and DOs. Feel free to ask away! I am happy and proud to be a future DO :cool:

JPHazelton said:

Perhaps using the search feature would be appropriate.

haha i almost thought to myself i don't remember making this thread

neuro85 said:

The degree is irrelevant. Both have a medical license and get the same job. The pay is the same, just as if you got a job teaching at a high school with a BS in education or a BA in education.

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta be kidding me... not this post again, I wonder if it is the same person?

Long story short... we get paid the same, compete for the same jobs, rise to the top of the same food chain, and if you gotta know.... we all have one.

PDA that is :cool:

DrB said:
PDA that is :cool:

I've heard tht unless your an MD your PDA wont even turn on....is tht true?

JPHazelton said:
Adrian, This user just registered and this was their first post. Perhaps we can cut him some slack. There was a time when you too asked questions that were easily answered in a "Search"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=123570

I knew that was coming. Yet at the same time, people jumped me back then.

Additionally, I never posted the same question in multiple forums; but you already knew that since you looked through my previous posts.

neuro85 said:
I have heard that some people tend to look down on DOs.

PEOPLE don't look down on DO's... Pre-meds are the only ones hung up on this distinction...

When someone walks into the ER having chest pain, they don't care whether their physician is an MD or DO.. as long as they get some medical attention...thats the reality of it.

christinejane19 said:
PEOPLE don't look down on DO's... Pre-meds are the only ones hung up on this distinction...

And program directors at ACGME surgical residencies.

Buckeye(OH) said:
And program directors at ACGME surgical residencies.

If you do well on boards and on your audition rotation, it shouldn't matter.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you do well on boards and on your audition rotation, it shouldn't matter.

Yeah, whatever. There are PDs that look down on DO applicants for ACGME surgical residencies.

Doing well on your boards and rotations doesnt afford you an automatic in. Prestigious surgical programs still have a hard time letting DOs in; per my associate dean.

while true...there are enough PD's who don't think that way and DO surg residencies to apply to...so it all kind of evens out in the end......

Buckeye(OH) said:
Yeah, whatever. There are PDs that look down on DO applicants for ACGME surgical residencies.

Doing well on your boards and rotations doesnt afford you an automatic in. Prestigious surgical programs still have a hard time letting DOs in; per my associate dean.

Define prestigious.

OSUdoc08 said:
Define prestigious.

What good is that going to do? For every program I name, you are going to A) say someone from OSU did surgery at that program B) one of your faculty is a DO and did surgery at that program or C) that you know someone from your class that wants to do surgery and knows a DO that went through that program.

And by prestigious I don't mean top 10. Prestigious probably isn't even the right word. There are programs that I know of, with solid reputations, that would simply rather not take a DO.

Buckeye(OH) said:
What good is that going to do? For every program I name, you are going to A) say someone from OSU did surgery at that program B) one of your faculty is a DO and did surgery at that program or C) that you know someone from your class that wants to do surgery and knows a DO that went through that program.

And by prestigious I don't mean top 10. Prestigious probably isn't even the right word. There are programs that I know of, with solid reputations, that would simply rather not take a DO.

There reputation automically goes down the drain by being so ignorant as to not realize that DOs are not any differently qualified for surgery than an MD.

OSUdoc08 said:
There reputation automically goes down the drain by being so ignorant as to not realize that DOs are not any differently qualified for surgery than an MD.

Dude, I wish I had the osteopathic conviction that you do. Its not just in me.

My compliments.