This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STK106

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im getting out of the Navy at the end of the year and going back to college and have been stuck in which route I want to take. I know I want to work in the medical field but I don't know in what setting. Originally I was looking into just going to get my BSN and be a RN but I want to be more in a leadership role and not work under anyone, if im being honest. I know that you are always going to have a boss and have to report to someone but it would be nice to be able to work independently. I want to work with patients and build a relationship and see them get better, that is why im leaning more toward Internal Medicine but also interested in PT. Im just stuck in a rut and could use some advice. I want to major in Nursing just in case I don't get accepted, is that a bad idea? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

DO may unironically be a top choice for you.

Physical therapy is much of what we do, just with different names attached.

DO may unironically be a top choice for you.

Physical therapy is much of what we do, just with different names attached.

I’m an MD....but no.

I have no idea of what a “doctor” of PT is but I feel it’s an over education for what you actually do. I’d rather be a physiatrist (PM&R) if I was going that route.

And yes, majoring in nursing is a waste if you want to be a physician. They are very different fields. Choose one. Both are important, but nursing is not MD lite or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a biased opinion as I’m a PT who is going to medical school this fall. I do see a difference in practice patterns in the bachelors vs masters vs “doctorate” PTs, but that’s a moot point since if you pursue PT, you will be getting a docotorate. Different topic for a different post.

One of the reasons I’m leaving the field is because of the pseudo-autonomy. Yes, while some states allow practice without a referral from a physician, insurance typically won’t pay and that dictates the reality of needing referrals from MDs. The same healthcare environment that is making physician owned practices almost a thing of the past is hitting the PT world as well.

I would actually agree that the premise behind DO seems much more inline with PT. Whether you incorporate that into your actual specialty as a physician is up to you. I would encourage you to shadow shadow shadow. See all the different fields you mentioned in all the settings possible. For instance there is absolutely no autonomy for PTs in the hospital setting. Much more so in school or outpatient settings, etc. Also, look at the laws and trends in the state you plan to settle in if your able. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I’m an MD....but no.

I have no idea of what a “doctor” of PT is but I feel it’s an over education for what you actually do. I’d rather be a physiatrist (PM&R) if I was going that route.

And yes, majoring in nursing is a waste if you want to be a physician. They are very different fields. Choose one. Both are important, but nursing is not MD lite or vice versa.

Whether or not you care about PT is irrelevant when looking at how similar OMM is to PT.

If OP genuinely wants to be both a physician and experience some PT training, DO is a real option.

As you’ve mentioned, the likes of PM&R can also give some exposure to this.

I would love to talk to you a little more about the issues you faced in the PT field and your thought process behind transitioning to for the MD. I’m a postback student with a degree in Finance and I’m applying to DPT school this coming cycle. However, I’m considering MD.
I’m a biased opinion as I’m a PT who is going to medical school this fall. I do see a difference in practice patterns in the bachelors vs masters vs “doctorate” PTs, but that’s a moot point since if you pursue PT, you will be getting a docotorate. Different topic for a different post.

One of the reasons I’m leaving the field is because of the pseudo-autonomy. Yes, while some states allow practice without a referral from a physician, insurance typically won’t pay and that dictates the reality of needing referrals from MDs. The same healthcare environment that is making physician owned practices almost a thing of the past is hitting the PT world as well.

I would actually agree that the premise behind DO seems much more inline with PT. Whether you incorporate that into your actual specialty as a physician is up to you. I would encourage you to shadow shadow shadow. See all the different fields you mentioned in all the settings possible. For instance there is absolutely no autonomy for PTs in the hospital setting. Much more so in school or outpatient settings, etc. Also, look at the laws and trends in the state you plan to settle in if your able. Good luck

Hello everyone. Im getting out of the Navy at the end of the year and going back to college and have been stuck in which route I want to take. I know I want to work in the medical field but I don't know in what setting. Originally I was looking into just going to get my BSN and be a RN but I want to be more in a leadership role and not work under anyone, if im being honest. I know that you are always going to have a boss and have to report to someone but it would be nice to be able to work independently. I want to work with patients and build a relationship and see them get better, that is why im leaning more toward Internal Medicine but also interested in PT. Im just stuck in a rut and could use some advice. I want to major in Nursing just in case I don't get accepted, is that a bad idea? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hey, what did you end up doing?

DPT sounds like your best choice to do what you want. If hands-on therapy is what you're interested, I don't see any real reason to get your MD or even your DO, but if you're set on med school I think DO is your best route. Don't see any reason to go the MD route for someone interested in physical therapy. If I were you I would do DPT.

Hello! Would you mind giving an update as you how med school is going for you? I am graduating from a DPT program in this fall & am considering going to med school afterwards.