MD vs DVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have heard many "pre-vets" state that human med would be there back up, since it is less competitive to get into. I dont' completely agree with them, but I did apply to both. And I had to make a hard decision.

When applying I didn't tell either types of schools that I was applying to the other. I did have a question come up in an interview regarding "what other profession I would choose?" I just considered vet and doctor to be the same and picked another type of profession, then I wasn't lying or hurting my chances at the school.

Peachy, regarding putting animals to sleep. If you do apply to vet schools, this is a very important topic, and they want to know that you will be able to perform euthansias. If this area of vet med makes you uncomfortable it may hurt your chances in becoming a vet.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting into med school!

Hi DizzyJon. I think that I've seen you posting at the physcianassociate forums? I was going to respond to your posts there but hadn't had the time. I was prevet all through college, applied to vet school and all that. I got in offshore but wanted to try again for a US school. I reevaluated my choice and decided to go the PA route. My PA school took all of my vet hours as experience and they asked me why PA school over vet school. For me the PA route was the best fit and I explained why etc... They must have liked it because I'm in and start in January. The way I see it...what I liked about vet med I can find in human medicine and not quite as many patients will be trying to bite me. :) There was more to it than that but anyway, you just have to look at both options and decide what your priorities are. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
leavinthelab,

I'm starting to figure that out. I have completed my PA application and began work on my vet school application this week. There are still many pros and cons to either field and if/when the times comes I will need to make a difficult decision. Yes, the not being bit aspect of human medicine is a definite PRO! I was bit about a month ago by a 155lbs G. Shephard. He weighs 3 lbs more than I do, LOL.

DizzyJon said:
leavinthelab,

I'm starting to figure that out. I have completed my PA application and began work on my vet school application this week. There are still many pros and cons to either field and if/when the times comes I will need to make a difficult decision. Yes, the not being bit aspect of human medicine is a definite PRO! I was bit about a month ago by a 155lbs G. Shephard. He weighs 3 lbs more than I do, LOL.

So it was written.

DizzyJon:

I hate to burst your bubble, but working in human healthcare certainly DOES NOT exempt one from being bitten! I have been a nurse for 18+ years, and have been bitten, punched, kicked and had various bodily fluids hurled my way.

At least in veterinary medicine you can muzzle your patients (and they only bite for self defense!).

loo said:
:rolleyes: Huh?

Are you for real, Herpeto?

My thoughts exactly. Based on your comments, I do not think that you have a true view of Vet or People Med. Perhaps you should go out and get some experience of your own in both fields rather then relying on the experiences of others.

I tried to say it the nice way earlier, but you just did not get it.

Best of luck with where ever you choose.

F4B