MD4 at St. James (in St. Vincent) - transfer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

a761506

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just began my MD4 semester, I'm top 5 in the class and have a solid grasp of everything, should be fine on step 1 with more study, and I'm pretty confident I'll be able to get a match in internal or family...

When I began a year ago, MD5 was held in Chicago, but during my MD2, the school announced it will be moved to St. Vincent, thus I have to spend another 4 months here. St. Vincent is not a nice island, it's brutal living here and I was planning on being in the states for my final semester.

Should I transfer to another Carib school which will allow me to complete MD5 in the states or tough it out here? I've been checking into CMU, with mixed findings including one person's horror story w/ administration on here from 2014, but nothing totally concrete. I do not have MCAT or undergrad degree, so transferring to a school which requires either seems impossible.

Also, I live near Detroit and would like to do rotations at a metro Detroit hospital but SJSM has affiliation only with a hospital near Flint (60 miles away) and CMU's website shows affiliation with a metro-Detroit hospital.

Many of the other SJSM students have transferred to other Carib schools, although I cannot be sure of their reasons. Does transferring schools have a negative impact on perception of a student when they are trying to match?

Thank you for your help.

Members don't see this ad.