mds in india or dds??

Started by dr37
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dr37

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello all....

mds in india is better or dds??

both need almost same time, hard work.. lot more money for dds
working in india with mds degree is better or leaving the country n doing dds is good..
many of u hv graduated from india..so how do u feel,,
ru happy with ur decisions,personally as well as professionally..

where do u think>>>

please post ur opinions..
 
58 people have seen this... and no body thought to say smthing..
 
well it all dependa where u liketo be settled, DDS does not have any value in india and so MDS does not help much in US and Canada. Choice has to be yours
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends.. means in india nowadays you can get admission in MDS by money... but to become DDS here you must required capable, determination, hardwork, and offcourse luck...
So, according to my feel if you are capable to get DDS its worth to do... But it will not work like try and error base.....
There are lots of other factor which affect for this decision and it varies with person to person..
 
DDS has no value in India? 🙂 thats news to me! coz i know that most people look specifically for degrees from abroad when chosing their doctors in India. dr37, if u have a BDS degree from India, i think doing DDS will be better for you, if given a chance...as u can practise both in India and in the US if u so choose. I think you should come here, see if you like it here..and then decide. there will be no regrets that way.
 
thanks..

well i am planing to write boards in aug & lets c how i perform there..
 
well if u plan on to stay in india then mds is a good option but if plan to move to some other country other then u.s then dds is much better according to me
dds cost lots of money so does mds but not as much as dds
its upto u
best of luck in what ever you do
 
I dont knw how I came across this thread today!
Brings back a saga of memories. That was 2007 and here in 2012, I have Masters and DMD and can not thank god enough.
For the wonderful friends who have been with me through the thick and thin, family who believed in me, members from SDN some of them are among the circle of good friends I have, complete strangers who guided me when I did not knw where to go and what to do.
To each and everyone of you out there, Sincere Thank you.

If there is anything I could do for a student who is in the same shoes I was few years back, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than glad.

Good luck everyone, It might not seem doable today, stay strong, work hard, give your best to your dreams and one way or other things WILL fall into place. :xf::luck:
 
I dont knw how I came across this thread today!
Brings back a saga of memories. That was 2007 and here in 2012, I have Masters and DMD and can not thank god enough.
For the wonderful friends who have been with me through the thick and thin, family who believed in me, members from SDN some of them are among the circle of good friends I have, complete strangers who guided me when I did not knw where to go and what to do.
To each and everyone of you out there, Sincere Thank you.

If there is anything I could do for a student who is in the same shoes I was few years back, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than glad.

Good luck everyone, It might not seem doable today, stay strong, work hard, give your best to your dreams and one way or other things WILL fall into place. :xf::luck:
great that you can trace your steps back...very few remember where they rose from which i guess is important...congrats on all the achievements and all the best in life ahead...
 
I dont knw how I came across this thread today!
Brings back a saga of memories. That was 2007 and here in 2012, I have Masters and DMD and can not thank god enough.
For the wonderful friends who have been with me through the thick and thin, family who believed in me, members from SDN some of them are among the circle of good friends I have, complete strangers who guided me when I did not knw where to go and what to do.
To each and everyone of you out there, Sincere Thank you.

If there is anything I could do for a student who is in the same shoes I was few years back, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than glad.

Good luck everyone, It might not seem doable today, stay strong, work hard, give your best to your dreams and one way or other things WILL fall into place. :xf::luck:

You've made a great choice and wish you the very best!!
 
Hii! plzzzz help me I m reallyy confused how to persue further! Plzz guide me and let me know whether DDS degree is valid in india?? Cming back to india after dds is it of any use?? Is dds better or mds fr who want to live in india?? Plsss replyyy???
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know what makes people think that DDS is not good in India. I think they too are of great value if not more but for sure equal to MDS. You can set up a very good practice in India with a DDS degree. Any course and experience from US is always advantageous and when we re talking about DDS its for sure.The only issue is the cost, but u can earn here , pay off your loans and then head back to India. This is what i feel . 🙂
 
Hii! plzzzz help me I m reallyy confused how to persue further! Plzz guide me and let me know whether DDS degree is valid in india?? Cming back to india after dds is it of any use?? Is dds better or mds fr who want to live in india?? Plsss replyyy???
If you want to live in India, then why spend so much money and effort on DDS.
There are more and more mds dentists applying for dds each year, but there won't be any dds dentist applying for mds in India.
 
:xf:Thankyou alot for replying!!!that was reallyy helpful! Can smone plsss tell me wat r d n😵f seats available for indians for nbdepart1???wat r d fields in dentistry we can get ??fm wen we shud start studying for the exam????
 
I am too going to start the preparation.... still waiting for the suggestions like which all study material should i buy? Shadowing/observation duration, i have heard some dentists take money for allowing shadowing, is this true?
 
I have a very interesting story to share with you on this. Hope this helps you.
I had a similar situation in 2010, when I got a MDS oral surgery seat in Mumbai through the centralized process. I am from Nagpur (a small town in India) and the next morning I had to catch a train towards Mumbai to claim that seat(because the admission center was in Mumbai). The previous night, I had such a hard time (went through all the emotional turmoil) thinking about If I should claim that seat and stay in India forever or should I go to US, struggle, expense and get my DDS done.
I am glad I never got on that train. That was a very big decision in my life. But after I came to US, I started regretting that decision for a while. While I was preparing to get admission in DDS, I realized that the competition is pretty fierce here. There are very limited amount of seats with large amount of similar profiles of International Candidates applying for the DDS program. The waiting period before getting that lucky call of acceptance, is full of hard struggle, unexpected rejections, extreme dedication and roller coster ride of emotions. This struggle is something that you won't encounter in India.I think in India, things come to us pretty easily. But luckily for me the end result was really good (beyond expectation) and now since I have started my Dental school, I no more regret, not being on that train to Mumbai that day.
I understands that it is a big decision to choose between MDS and DDS. But I think this is a choice that you should make depending on your resources and capability to handle extreme pressures with having lot of patience. What ever you do in life, make sure you give your 100% in that and until and unless you excel in it, you wont ever regret your decision in life.
All the very best, both with India or US. 🙂
 
Hey, So could you please tell me what all study material i should buy and how to make my application for DDS more competitive?
 
I do have another story to share. I completed BDS from India in 1998 and MDS in Oral Surgery in 2007. I never planned to come in US though my wife is a citizen. But by the stroke of fate I had to immigrate with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in 2010. I gave up all hopes to start all over again and half heartedly took my part 1 and TOEFL. I did apply to a few schools and didn't get any good news. Staying in New York and reaching almost the end of the applying cycle I visited NYU one afternoon, just to have a feel of how the applying process works, if not for anything else. After 5 minutes of conversation with the admissions assistant, she immediately gave me an interview! Rest is history!

my point is, you never know where your fate will take you. So if you are determined to do DDS, just go for it and do not step back in spite of the hardships. If you want to do DDS just to have a good life, then my friend, let me tell you you can have that after MDS in India. I have seen both sides in both countries. Initial struggle period in US is very very hard and no words can describe it ! Make sure you can go through that phase before coming here.

As per your other question about acceptance of DDS in India, let me tell you it works: Acceptance of degrees always works in reciprocation; what that basically means is one country's degree will only be accepted in another country if that country's degree is recognized. So since US does not recognize BDS from India, DDS is not "officially" accepted by DCI in India. But think of another thing: what difference does it make? after all DDS is equivalent (although by a lesser degree) to BDS !! so technically you still can practice with your BDS. But with your DDS background, you should have a tremendous edge over others, even then you would be envied by the MDS people !! But then tell me some thing: how many people you know, who, after doing DDS has gone back to India? to my knowledge, very few, that too old people who, after 30-40 years of practice in US went back to have a retired life. Even I dont know of any.

The next question is why??? The first obvious reason is the quality of life: once you get used to live by the rules here, I dont think you'd want to go back. Even if you want to go back and you do, you would be back within a year !!! I'm not saying this, Statistics do. So coming to the US is basically a one way ticket as far as DDS is concerned !

the next reason is Economics: I don't know if you can afford to finance your education and living expenses from home. Most of us don't, so we depend heavily on loans from US agencies, be it banks or Federal student loans ! Now, after you complete your DDS and ready to work, I dont think that you might be doing well in living a good life in India while paying back the loans in US ! that does not make a good economic sense ! On the other hand, I dont know any DDS dentist in US who is a pauper. And all of them paid back their loans or are doing good in paying them back regularly. The only reason financial institutions shell out $500K+ to every DDS students without any collateral is that they are known to be good in paying back !!

Dont take my words to be true, you use all means to judge the veracity of these facts and figures and take a well calculated step! this would be my advice to you. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors !
 
I do have another story to share. I completed BDS from India in 1998 and MDS in Oral Surgery in 2007. I never planned to come in US though my wife is a citizen. But by the stroke of fate I had to immigrate with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in 2010. I gave up all hopes to start all over again and half heartedly took my part 1 and TOEFL. I did apply to a few schools and didn't get any good news. Staying in New York and reaching almost the end of the applying cycle I visited NYU one afternoon, just to have a feel of how the applying process works, if not for anything else. After 5 minutes of conversation with the admissions assistant, she immediately gave me an interview! Rest is history!

my point is, you never know where your fate will take you. So if you are determined to do DDS, just go for it and do not step back in spite of the hardships. If you want to do DDS just to have a good life, then my friend, let me tell you you can have that after MDS in India. (seriously doubt this- may be 5-10% of all mds most of them old world dentists not the new mds , for the majority it is a pathetic situation with not those many jobs for mds and having to roam from one clinic to another all day as a consultant getting no respect from the bds . Most bds are doing their own work and learning everything through short courses. An mds will earn some money but at what cost is the question. Sitting in a non ac college for 8 hours daily as a lecturer or visiting clinics daily to get 60% of the treatment cost due to the dentist taking the remaining 40%) Also india is one of the few countires where most engineers or mba z end up earning more than dentists and have plush houses and cars from the company unlike dentists. That is where US is completley different..a dentist and engineer start with the same salary and in 10 years a dentist is earning over double. In india most likely the mba in a corporate firm will earn more than the dentist.) I have seen both sides in both countries. Initial struggle period in US is very very hard and no words can describe it ! Make sure you can go through that phase before coming here.

As per your other question about acceptance of DDS in India, let me tell you it works: Acceptance of degrees always works in reciprocation; what that basically means is one country's degree will only be accepted in another country if that country's degree is recognized. So since US does not recognize BDS from India, DDS is not "officially" accepted by DCI in India. But think of another thing: what difference does it make? after all DDS is equivalent (although by a lesser degree) to BDS !! so technically you still can practice with your BDS. But with your DDS background, you should have a tremendous edge over others, even then you would be envied by the MDS people !! But then tell me some thing: how many people you know, who, after doing DDS has gone back to India? to my knowledge, very few, that too old people who, after 30-40 years of practice in US went back to have a retired life. Even I dont know of any.
I agree. Very few dentists go back after dds..it doesnt really make sense financially. But if you are ready to take a bit of a cut on your pay check (at least initially) - you will definitely do very well in India as a dds....people are in awe of US degrees ..and if you market it well , sky is the limit

The next question is why??? The first obvious reason is the quality of life: once you get used to live by the rules here, I dont think you'd want to go back. Even if you want to go back and you do, you would be back within a year !!! I'm not saying this, Statistics do. So coming to the US is basically a one way ticket as far as DDS is concerned !

Also i must say this - it is very important at what age in life you are coming to the US .

the next reason is Economics: I don't know if you can afford to finance your education and living expenses from home. Most of us don't, so we depend heavily on loans from US agencies, be it banks or Federal student loans ! Now, after you complete your DDS and ready to work, I dont think that you might be doing well in living a good life in India while paying back the loans in US ! that does not make a good economic sense ! On the other hand, I dont know any DDS dentist in US who is a pauper. And all of them paid back their loans or are doing good in paying them back regularly. The only reason financial institutions shell out $500K+ to every DDS students without any collateral is that they are known to be good in paying back !!

Dont take my words to be true, you use all means to judge the veracity of these facts and figures and take a well calculated step! this would be my advice to you. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors !
 
Last edited:
Hiii!!! Can someone plsss tell me what r the no. Of seats available for dds and what r d fields available for indians? I mean like oral surgery , orthodontics, endodontics etc???? Plsss help me as I don't ve any relative of mine in usa ...is it easy to stay there during struggling period ..
 
No reply since a long time ! Is my question that bad?
There are 300-350 seats for international students, and foreign trained dentists from all countries can apply. The question you should be asking yourself is why dds from here? If you are passionate enough you'll get over the struggling period, otherwise it can get quite expensive with lot of frustration.
 
I dont knw how I came across this thread today!
Brings back a saga of memories. That was 2007 and here in 2012, I have Masters and DMD and can not thank god enough.
For the wonderful friends who have been with me through the thick and thin, family who believed in me, members from SDN some of them are among the circle of good friends I have, complete strangers who guided me when I did not knw where to go and what to do.
To each and everyone of you out there, Sincere Thank you.

If there is anything I could do for a student who is in the same shoes I was few years back, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be more than glad.

Good luck everyone, It might not seem doable today, stay strong, work hard, give your best to your dreams and one way or other things WILL fall into place. :xf::luck:

hi
i m finishing my MDS from india in one month, also planning to migrate to US ( LA)
can u pl help me with what are my options in USA
i want any schools of california, are there any post grad options if i dnt want to do a DDS 2yr prog again.
 
Thank you alot archi56 for replying on sdn even after DDS....sorry for the basic question actually I m just a beginner.and I really want help from sdn fellow members.. I m a student of 2nd year and I wanted to know if I want to do mds then is there any degree other than dds that we can do from usa that will be helpfull to me .? Should we do it before mds or after mds?? Plss do relpy ! Thankyou in advance 🙂 ve a long life .
 
I do have another story to share. I completed BDS from India in 1998 and MDS in Oral Surgery in 2007. I never planned to come in US though my wife is a citizen. But by the stroke of fate I had to immigrate with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in 2010. I gave up all hopes to start all over again and half heartedly took my part 1 and TOEFL. I did apply to a few schools and didn't get any good news. Staying in New York and reaching almost the end of the applying cycle I visited NYU one afternoon, just to have a feel of how the applying process works, if not for anything else. After 5 minutes of conversation with the admissions assistant, she immediately gave me an interview! Rest is history!

my point is, you never know where your fate will take you. So if you are determined to do DDS, just go for it and do not step back in spite of the hardships. If you want to do DDS just to have a good life, then my friend, let me tell you you can have that after MDS in India. I have seen both sides in both countries. Initial struggle period in US is very very hard and no words can describe it ! Make sure you can go through that phase before coming here.

As per your other question about acceptance of DDS in India, let me tell you it works: Acceptance of degrees always works in reciprocation; what that basically means is one country's degree will only be accepted in another country if that country's degree is recognized. So since US does not recognize BDS from India, DDS is not "officially" accepted by DCI in India. But think of another thing: what difference does it make? after all DDS is equivalent (although by a lesser degree) to BDS !! so technically you still can practice with your BDS. But with your DDS background, you should have a tremendous edge over others, even then you would be envied by the MDS people !! But then tell me some thing: how many people you know, who, after doing DDS has gone back to India? to my knowledge, very few, that too old people who, after 30-40 years of practice in US went back to have a retired life. Even I dont know of any.

The next question is why??? The first obvious reason is the quality of life: once you get used to live by the rules here, I dont think you'd want to go back. Even if you want to go back and you do, you would be back within a year !!! I'm not saying this, Statistics do. So coming to the US is basically a one way ticket as far as DDS is concerned !

the next reason is Economics: I don't know if you can afford to finance your education and living expenses from home. Most of us don't, so we depend heavily on loans from US agencies, be it banks or Federal student loans ! Now, after you complete your DDS and ready to work, I dont think that you might be doing well in living a good life in India while paying back the loans in US ! that does not make a good economic sense ! On the other hand, I dont know any DDS dentist in US who is a pauper. And all of them paid back their loans or are doing good in paying them back regularly. The only reason financial institutions shell out $500K+ to every DDS students without any collateral is that they are known to be good in paying back !!

Dont take my words to be true, you use all means to judge the veracity of these facts and figures and take a well calculated step! this would be my advice to you. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors !




Hello begottedBDS,
First of all congratulations on your success!
I myself have not come across anyone who has moved back to India with a DDS. I was a fresh BDS when I moved to USA and not much experience in the field.
I am in the 2 year DDS program and eventually want to move back close to my family, as soon as i can pay back at least part of my loan of $150k which may take close to 2 years. Even though I love the quality of life I am very Indian at heart and nothing like being close to family specially when in emergencies and health related issues.

Now will this work out ? not sure, may be I will just be happy to try out. I would like to know what options does a DDS return have in India ?
Also what kind of income range can one look forward to as a general dentist in India ? I understand it also depends on the particular city. If anybody can throw any light it will surely help to execute the plans.

Thanks and good luck to everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a very interesting story to share with you on this. Hope this helps you.
I had a similar situation in 2010, when I got a MDS oral surgery seat in Mumbai through the centralized process. I am from Nagpur (a small town in India) and the next morning I had to catch a train towards Mumbai to claim that seat(because the admission center was in Mumbai). The previous night, I had such a hard time (went through all the emotional turmoil) thinking about If I should claim that seat and stay in India forever or should I go to US, struggle, expense and get my DDS done.
I am glad I never got on that train. That was a very big decision in my life. But after I came to US, I started regretting that decision for a while. While I was preparing to get admission in DDS, I realized that the competition is pretty fierce here. There are very limited amount of seats with large amount of similar profiles of International Candidates applying for the DDS program. The waiting period before getting that lucky call of acceptance, is full of hard struggle, unexpected rejections, extreme dedication and roller coster ride of emotions. This struggle is something that you won't encounter in India.I think in India, things come to us pretty easily. But luckily for me the end result was really good (beyond expectation) and now since I have started my Dental school, I no more regret, not being on that train to Mumbai that day.
I understands that it is a big decision to choose between MDS and DDS. But I think this is a choice that you should make depending on your resources and capability to handle extreme pressures with having lot of patience. What ever you do in life, make sure you give your 100% in that and until and unless you excel in it, you wont ever regret your decision in life.
All the very best, both with India or US. 🙂



Hello sir.
Your experience has motivated and inspired me. Thank you.
I am a 22 yo female graduated last month with BDS degree from a reputed dental college in mangalore with a decent score.
I was planning on writing the neet exams in jan 2018 for mds.
But now I have a proposal from an engg in the US and so I am really confused about if there is scope and hope for me in the US and how to go about it.
I am very determined to crack the nbde.
Also someone suggested i do MPH and this has got me more confused.
Kindly please guide me.
Thank you so much.
 
I do have another story to share. I completed BDS from India in 1998 and MDS in Oral Surgery in 2007. I never planned to come in US though my wife is a citizen. But by the stroke of fate I had to immigrate with my wife and 2 yr old daughter in 2010. I gave up all hopes to start all over again and half heartedly took my part 1 and TOEFL. I did apply to a few schools and didn't get any good news. Staying in New York and reaching almost the end of the applying cycle I visited NYU one afternoon, just to have a feel of how the applying process works, if not for anything else. After 5 minutes of conversation with the admissions assistant, she immediately gave me an interview! Rest is history!

my point is, you never know where your fate will take you. So if you are determined to do DDS, just go for it and do not step back in spite of the hardships. If you want to do DDS just to have a good life, then my friend, let me tell you you can have that after MDS in India. I have seen both sides in both countries. Initial struggle period in US is very very hard and no words can describe it ! Make sure you can go through that phase before coming here.

As per your other question about acceptance of DDS in India, let me tell you it works: Acceptance of degrees always works in reciprocation; what that basically means is one country's degree will only be accepted in another country if that country's degree is recognized. So since US does not recognize BDS from India, DDS is not "officially" accepted by DCI in India. But think of another thing: what difference does it make? after all DDS is equivalent (although by a lesser degree) to BDS !! so technically you still can practice with your BDS. But with your DDS background, you should have a tremendous edge over others, even then you would be envied by the MDS people !! But then tell me some thing: how many people you know, who, after doing DDS has gone back to India? to my knowledge, very few, that too old people who, after 30-40 years of practice in US went back to have a retired life. Even I dont know of any.

The next question is why??? The first obvious reason is the quality of life: once you get used to live by the rules here, I dont think you'd want to go back. Even if you want to go back and you do, you would be back within a year !!! I'm not saying this, Statistics do. So coming to the US is basically a one way ticket as far as DDS is concerned !

the next reason is Economics: I don't know if you can afford to finance your education and living expenses from home. Most of us don't, so we depend heavily on loans from US agencies, be it banks or Federal student loans ! Now, after you complete your DDS and ready to work, I dont think that you might be doing well in living a good life in India while paying back the loans in US ! that does not make a good economic sense ! On the other hand, I dont know any DDS dentist in US who is a pauper. And all of them paid back their loans or are doing good in paying them back regularly. The only reason financial institutions shell out $500K+ to every DDS students without any collateral is that they are known to be good in paying back !!

Dont take my words to be true, you use all means to judge the veracity of these facts and figures and take a well calculated step! this would be my advice to you. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors !


I have a very interesting story to share with you on this. Hope this helps you.
I had a similar situation in 2010, when I got a MDS oral surgery seat in Mumbai through the centralized process. I am from Nagpur (a small town in India) and the next morning I had to catch a train towards Mumbai to claim that seat(because the admission center was in Mumbai). The previous night, I had such a hard time (went through all the emotional turmoil) thinking about If I should claim that seat and stay in India forever or should I go to US, struggle, expense and get my DDS done.
I am glad I never got on that train. That was a very big decision in my life. But after I came to US, I started regretting that decision for a while. While I was preparing to get admission in DDS, I realized that the competition is pretty fierce here. There are very limited amount of seats with large amount of similar profiles of International Candidates applying for the DDS program. The waiting period before getting that lucky call of acceptance, is full of hard struggle, unexpected rejections, extreme dedication and roller coster ride of emotions. This struggle is something that you won't encounter in India.I think in India, things come to us pretty easily. But luckily for me the end result was really good (beyond expectation) and now since I have started my Dental school, I no more regret, not being on that train to Mumbai that day.
I understands that it is a big decision to choose between MDS and DDS. But I think this is a choice that you should make depending on your resources and capability to handle extreme pressures with having lot of patience. What ever you do in life, make sure you give your 100% in that and until and unless you excel in it, you wont ever regret your decision in life.
All the very best, both with India or US. 🙂



Hello sir.
Your experience has motivated and inspired me. Thank you.
I am a 22 yo female graduated last month with BDS degree from a reputed dental college in mangalore with a decent score.
I was planning on writing the neet exams in jan 2018 for mds.
But now I have a proposal from an engg in the US and so I am really confused about if there is scope and hope for me in the US and how to go about it.
I am very determined to crack the nbde.
Also someone suggested i do MPH and this has got me more confused.
Kindly please guide me.
Thank you so much.
 
Hello sir.
Your experience has motivated and inspired me. Thank you.
I am a 22 yo female graduated last month with BDS degree from a reputed dental college in mangalore with a decent score.
I was planning on writing the neet exams in jan 2018 for mds.
But now I have a proposal from an engg in the US and so I am really confused about if there is scope and hope for me in the US and how to go about it.
I am very determined to crack the nbde.
Also someone suggested i do MPH and this has got me more confused.
Kindly please guide me.
Thank you so much.
 
Hello sir.
Your experience has motivated and inspired me. Thank you.
I am a 22 yo female graduated last month with BDS degree from a reputed dental college in mangalore with a decent score.
I was planning on writing the neet exams in jan 2018 for mds.
But now I have a proposal from an engg in the US and so I am really confused about if there is scope and hope for me in the US and how to go about it.
I am very determined to crack the nbde.
Also someone suggested i do MPH and this has got me more confused.
Kindly please guide me.
Thank you so much.