Army MDSSP / STRAP / HPLRP - Extensive Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr_Churchill

Student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I read through at least a dozen old posts on this forum about the various programs and I am still left with questions. Here is a useful link I just found that clarifies what each one is: https://civmil.hms.harvard.edu/file...inancial_assistance_programs_hms_20180822.pdf.

So, in my own words, here's what each offers.

MDSSP:
  • Service obligation: 1 year for each 6 months that I receive the stipend in medical school.
  • ~$2,200/month while in school
  • Will not utilize military match
  • No monthly duty obligations
STRAP:
  • Service obligation: 1 year for each 6 months I receive the stipend in residency.
  • ~$2,200/month while in residency
So, at this point, assuming 4 years of med school MDSSP and a (minimum) of a 3 year residency with STRAP, my service obligation would be: 14 years to army reserves.

Now, with HPLRP thrown in:
  • (Up to) $250,000 loan repayment afterresidency is completed, regardless of whether you took MDSSP or STRAP
    • Paid in $40,000 installments at end of each year, with the last $10,000 (to make it $250k) coming in the 7th year
  • Service obligation: 1 year for each year that you take an installment (up to $250k total/ 7 years of service total).
A FINAL NOTE ON THAT LAST BULLET POINT: the link I posed above states for each year that you take HPLRP, you can basically subtract 1 year of service obligation from STRAP. As in, if you take 4 years of MDSSP (8 years of AR service), 3 years of STRAP (6 years of AR service), and 3 years of HPLRP (3 years of AR service, your total service obligation is not 17 years of AR, it's actually 14 years because 6 years (from STRAP) minus 3 years (from HPLRP) = 3 years plus the 8 years from MDSSP....... so 14 years.

PLEASE clarify anywhere that I made a mistake!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s complicated, if you don’t take the hplrp during residency but you did take the mdssp and strap then the time during strap changes your mdssp obligation to 1:1 and starts paying it off while in residency

Also if you are taking strap you can take hplrp starting your third year of residency at the same time

Lots of rules

It’s complicated, if you don’t take the hplrp during residency but you did take the mdssp and strap then the time during strap changes your mdssp obligation to 1:1 and starts paying it off while in residency

Also if you are taking strap you can take hplrp starting your third year of residency at the same time

Lots of rules

So I guess my question becomes: assuming money isn’t an issue during mes school due to loans, what’s the most efficient combination of the 3 to minimize service obligation but maximize loan forgiveness? Just not bother with mdssp/strap and only take hplrp?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
No amount of mdssp/strap is good for “minimize obligations”

I don’t recall HPLR taking time from strap. You can suspend your STRAP payback while receiving HPLR, but I don’t think (having done this in the past few years) you can count HPLR time towards STRAP. I had to sign a memorandum stating I was ceasing the HPLR program and entering the STRAP payback phase.

In terms of minimizing obligation, I would wait to join reserves until you begin residency, then I would take STRAP for the final 2.5 years of your 3 year residency giving you a 5 year pay back...so that your minimum obligation runs up at the same time your STRAP payback runs out (8 years). If you want to take HPLR in there, it just delays your plan by a year (Or 7 if you take the whole 250k). But, at that point, you will already be in for 15 years...might as well make it 20!

However, under the new retirement system (which I’m not a part of), you may not benefit from the 20 year mark. Remember also that you can only contribute $X,XXX.00 per year to tax deferred accounts (like 401k or TSP) which you will probably max out in your civilIan job before contributing to TSP. This year, the max is around $19,000. assuming you get a 50% match on your contributions from your employer up to 6%, if you make $320,000, you will max that out and have nothing to offer the TSP without getting a penalty or using post-tax dollars.

you should probably get clarification on the new blended retirement system Pros and cons, especially if you decide to do a >3 year residency and take STRAP the whole time + HPLR...that’s an easy 20 year commitment right there!

also, I thought HPLR was just $240,000? Been a while since I looked at it. If not, I wouldn’t give an extra year for $10,000

Having used STRAP during residency to supplement my income and let my wife stay at home with our kids; and then HPLR to pay off my loans...its the best deal going IF YOU ALREADY WANT to serve in the military. Being a ARNG physician has been very rewarding for me. Sure, I could think of lots of other things I could be doing 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks a year, and all the other random days that become required including up to 120 days of deployment.

Again, IF YOU ALREADY WANT TO SERVE, it is pretty good. Otherwise, stay away and don’t be that miserable A-hole that we all have to deal with at every drill.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t recall HPLR taking time from strap. You can suspend your STRAP payback while receiving HPLR, but I don’t think (having done this in the past few years) you can count HPLR time towards STRAP. I had to sign a memorandum stating I was ceasing the HPLR program and entering the STRAP payback phase.

In terms of minimizing obligation, I would wait to join reserves until you begin residency, then I would take STRAP for the final 2.5 years of your 3 year residency giving you a 5 year pay back...so that your minimum obligation runs up at the same time your STRAP payback runs out (8 years). If you want to take HPLR in there, it just delays your plan by a year (Or 7 if you take the whole 250k). But, at that point, you will already be in for 15 years...might as well make it 20!

However, under the new retirement system (which I’m not a part of), you may not benefit from the 20 year mark. Remember also that you can only contribute $X,XXX.00 per year to tax deferred accounts (like 401k or TSP) which you will probably max out in your civilIan job before contributing to TSP. This year, the max is around $19,000. assuming you get a 50% match on your contributions from your employer up to 6%, if you make $320,000, you will max that out and have nothing to offer the TSP without getting a penalty or using post-tax dollars.

you should probably get clarification on the new blended retirement system Pros and cons, especially if you decide to do a >3 year residency and take STRAP the whole time + HPLR...that’s an easy 20 year commitment right there!

also, I thought HPLR was just $240,000? Been a while since I looked at it. If not, I wouldn’t give an extra year for $10,000

Having used STRAP during residency to supplement my income and let my wife stay at home with our kids; and then HPLR to pay off my loans...its the best deal going IF YOU ALREADY WANT to serve in the military. Being a ARNG physician has been very rewarding for me. Sure, I could think of lots of other things I could be doing 1 weekend per month, 2 weeks a year, and all the other random days that become required including up to 120 days of deployment.

Again, IF YOU ALREADY WANT TO SERVE, it is pretty good. Otherwise, stay away and don’t be that miserable A-hole that we all have to deal with at every drill.

I appreciate all the information. I wanted to ask, how are you balancing a civilian career with the 2 weeks a year commitment and possible 120 days deployment? Is it just about finding a practice that is understanding of the commitment?

Good Morning,

Just a general question, I have accepted the MSSP scholarship. Upon completion, do you have to accept STRAP or is it optional? Not complaining either way just curious.

I appreciate all the information. I wanted to ask, how are you balancing a civilian career with the 2 weeks a year commitment and possible 120 days deployment? Is it just about finding a practice that is understanding of the commitment?

You have to find the right practice.
Easier for some specialties than others.
In general, the bigger the practice, the easier it is be in the reserves or guard.
If you are in a shift work type specialty, the easier (hospitalist, ER, anesthesia)
If you are an employee, easy too.

Good Morning,

Just a general question, I have accepted the MSSP scholarship. Upon completion, do you have to accept STRAP or is it optional? Not complaining either way just curious.
Strap is optional

Having an honest upfront conversation with any potential practice about your commitment to be away and how they would want to handle that. I spent the majority of my practicing career (the first 5 years) working more or at least equally to my peers, then giving the weekends and AT periods to the Guard on top of that (taking the time from my family, not from my practice). Learn from my error, especially if you have a family, and don’t work 120% in practice and then just add the guard or reserves on top of that. Find a way to carve the time from your full time gig/practice so you don’t burn out. You have legal protections for time away, but you really want to find a place that respects the other commitment in your life so you aren’t made to feel bad when you take the time off to serve without stealing all of that time from your family. For instance, once I started taking the day before drill weekend off and taking fewer weekend call shifts (giving those days to my family as well as my own interests) I have been much happier. I had to make some changes in my work schedule to achieve this and I make less money now (still make plenty) but I’m happier and feel like I can sustain what I’m doing

Sorry for the delayed response, hope that helps

I made sure both residency directors and employers knew about my commitment. By law they cannot be upset with it but reality is different than law, it ended some conversations because not everyone is really on board with that. I ended up steering away from smaller practices because of it.

agree on putting your family before extra work after you meet your .mil duties, i have abandoned some personal career aspirations and i’m fine with that