Meals during Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI!

Here's a spin-off thread to another I made.

Basically, we're all going to be extremely busy students during dental school. In all that we have going on, we're going to have to find time to eat.

Eating out is the easiest option, but it is expensive. Though I admit I don't have much to contribute, I thought it would be good to make a thread of meals that we can feasibly make while we are in school.

Obviously, the recipes don't have to meet all of the following criteria, but it would be good if they were at least one of the following: good, easy, cheap, and/or healthy. :) If you get 2+ or more, you're a winner! :laugh:

So... take it away! I'm going to be asking my mom and grandma in the upcoming months for recipes they think would worth, and I'll be sure to add them.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw this one site and it looks pretty good, I have a link for the quick recipe section and you can browse around other sections of the site for other stuff. The person made the site solely with the intention of students in mind. From her page: "Welcome. My goal is to help you cook your way through college. Please check out my collection of quick, cheap, and easy recipes for college students on a budget. You can make my dishes on any school night, even with exams the next day."

http://fullthymestudent.com/category/quick/

I'll add some of my own recipes that are quick,cheap,healthy when I get some more time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll start off!
1517605_10203186252085319_118536951_n.jpg

Crescent Roll Burgers
Brown some ground beef. Once browned, put into a bowl and mix in ~2 cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese (or more depending on how cheesy you like it) and a packet of dry onion soup mix. Mix thoroughly. Unroll crescent rolls and put beef inside and fold into a pocket. Brush with egg and top with more shredded cheese. Bake as directed on the crescent roll container.

149316_10203057595628988_1572277752_n.jpg

Caesar Salad Sliders
In a crock pot, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts and ~half a bottle caesar salad dressing. Cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the chicken and place on a slider bun with lettuce, cheese, and whatever other salad toppings you desire.

1526435_10202957293481497_338385950_n.jpg

One Pot Wonder Chicken Lo Mein
Ingredients
½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into small chunks
12 oz. whole wheat linguini or fettuccini, broken in half
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut in thin 3 inch long strips
1 medium red bell pepper, cut in thin 3 inch long strips
1 bunch green onions, white part sliced and green part cut in 3 inch long strips
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon corn starch
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
½ cup water
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
Instructions
Add the chicken, then the pasta, then the remaining ingredients to a large stockpot and cover. Bring to a boil. Stir and reduce to a simmer. Cook covered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cook until most of the liquid is gone and the chicken is cooked through.

I've got lots more to add, but I'm late for class!

Reactions: 5 users
Cook in bulk and freeze the left over.

Use a crock pot to make things like beef stew, curry, chicken noodle soup, and pot roast.

Btw, salads can be made in bulk.

Always try to prepare your next days meal the night before by cutting and prepping the necessary ingredients before hand

:)

Here are some more I've thought of. No photos, unfortunately, but still yummy!

Crockpot Orange Chicken
In a crockpot, add boneless, skinless chicken breasts (as you may notice, my recipes aren't one for precise measurements. I usually add a whole bag of chicken - this is a recipe that reheats well). Add in a whole jar of orange marmalade and ~1/2 a bottle of sweet baby ray's BBQ sauce (must be that brand). Add a few squirts of soy sauce and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with brown rice. Depending on my dinner guests, I try and add some veggies into the crock pot.

Mississippi Roast
In a crockpot add a chuck roast, packet of dry ranch mix, packet of dry au jus gravy, 2-3 tbsp of butter, and pepperoncini peppers. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. I usually serve with mashed potatoes and the left overs make really good sandwiches

Of course we have all heard of a "coke" roast. Just put a roast (beef or pork) in a crockpot and a can of coke - cook on low for 6-8 hours. You can change it up by doing a different type of soda (Dr. Pepper, Rootbeer), add some seasoning, ranch packets, or BBQ sauce. A good, easy, cheap staple.

I'm meal planning today or tomorrow and I will share by successes and failures this week! For sure stuffed peppers on on the menu!

Here's one I really love that's pretty simple and healthy:

Margarita Chicken:
margaritachicken.JPG

- 3 cans black beans (14 - 16 oz each), drained
- 3/4 tsp cumin (can add more if wanted)
- 3 tbsp lime juice (more if wanted)
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp canola oil
- 4 - 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half (depending on dish size)
- 1 can salsa verde
- 1/2 bag shredded pepper jack cheese (8 oz) - can use all if you want
- cilantro - however much you want, shredded

1. Combine black beans, cilantro, cumin, lime juice, in baking juice, put in oven

2. Turn oven to 450 and let ^ warm up/cook in oven as chicken is cooked on stove

3. Heat oil in skillet on med-high

4. Season chicken w/ salt & pepper (to taste), sear 3-6 min on first side, then 3-6 min on 2nd side till cooked through & browned on both sides

5. Remove baking dish from oven, put chicken breasts on top of beans

6. Cover chicken in salsa verde, then cheese on top

7. Bake at 450 until cheese is fluffy & bubbling, usually no more than 5 min.

Cook in bulk and freeze the left over.

Use a crock pot to make things like beef stew, curry, chicken noodle soup, and pot roast.

Btw, salads can be made in bulk.

Always try to prepare your next days meal the night before by cutting and prepping the necessary ingredients before hand

:)
Exactly. Just prep. Virtually anything can be made in advance, and it really isn't that hard to dedicate 3hrs on a Sunday to 6 days of meals.

Anyhow, are we really worried about having time to make our food?

Exactly. Just prep. Virtually anything can be made in advance, and it really isn't that hard to dedicate 3hrs on a Sunday to 6 days of meals.

Anyhow, are we really worried about having time to make our food?

When I got home at 5 or later, I'll probably just want to plop down and not have to put an hour or so into meal making!

When I got home at 5 or later, I'll probably just want to plop down and not have to put an hour or so into meal making!
Understandable, but it's not all that bad. It's something I've been doing for a few years now. Most of the Allrecipes and much of the Food Network stuff is 30mins or less. Plus, there's always steak :cool:

That's why I love the crockpot! Just throw it all in in the morning and forget about it for the day.

If you're worried about being gone more than the 6-8 hours to cook it on low, invest in one of the fancier crockpots that you program to go from low cook to keep warm after so many hours.

I have a formula: Protein + Carb + Veggie + Cookie = happy wife.

Proteins: Chicken, Steak (Sirloin and Strip are often cheapest), Roast (requires prep), Fish (very fast prep), Beans (Make a pot every Sunday. Delicious).
Carbs: Usually mashed potatoes or rice. Instant is fine (takes 5 mins).
Veggies: Anything. Salt, fresh ground pepper and olive oil will make any vegetable taste great. Roast @400 for 20-25 mins.

As others have said, crockpots are great. Protein + a can of cream of chicken or mushroom + some veggies = amazing.

All of this is <30 mins from prep to plate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anything that takes less than 1minute from start of prep to my mouth? Ain't nobody got time for all this. . . . . . . :boom:

Protein bars and Ensure nutritional shakes are the basic staples of my diet when school is in full swing. When bought in bulk theyre reasonably priced. They both taste good but after months of consuming them theyre indistinguishable from cardboard.

A recipe I once tried involved boiling the Ensure in a saucer pan then sprinkling crushed bits of the protein bar into the pan. Cheap, easy to make, but god awful I barely finished it...

I have a White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bar almost every single morning for breakfast. I've seriously eaten them for breakfast for almost 2 years. They're awesome. It's like dessert for breakfast... but good for you!

Some other Clif Bar flavors are pretty good, but this one absolutely tops the list.

I'm more concerned about whether or not I could properly count my macros during dental school.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a White Chocolate Macadamia Clif Bar almost every single morning for breakfast. I've seriously eaten them for breakfast for almost 2 years. They're awesome. It's like dessert for breakfast... but good for you!

Some other Clif Bar flavors are pretty good, but this one absolutely tops the list.
I've been eating them for years too. I said months before b/c I didn't want to be the weirdo who's been eating cardboard for such a long time.

I eat tons of Clif Bars as well, and I agree they are a more tasty flavor of cardboard.

All the recipes here are great, but they are not easy to do! I don't think I will ever have the energy to cook after long day in school.
My food right now: any type of pasta that I cook on the microwave (easier than oven, and cooks better), Uncle Ben's different type of rices. Potatos in the microwave (seasson with salt and black pepper). Those are all healthy and easy to do.

That's why I love the crockpot! Just throw it all in in the morning and forget about it for the day.

If you're worried about being gone more than the 6-8 hours to cook it on low, invest in one of the fancier crockpots that you program to go from low cook to keep warm after so many hours.

This.

Buy some carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, chicken, potatoes, onions, gingerroot, green onions, soy sauce, sesame oil, cooking wine. Mix and match.

I usually do that and cook some rice. Then I stir fry some watercress or spinach with garlic. Nom nom nomz.

I'm hungry.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Anyone else consider doing juice diet? :D

There's protein shakes haha. I'm just going to gain over the summer and try to maintain between my breaks. All I really need is a pull up bar and tons of protein lol

Will just eat at Chinatown Boston all day everyday.
$7 meal I can eat twice? I can dig it

Chili.
Simmer for a day.
Put in fridge.
Eat for a week.

YESS!!! I eat those too in the morning for breakfast! :)

So much Clif Bar love. :hardy:

Is it those granola bar type ones, or those energy square looking ones?

I basically know how to make rice in a rice cooker and make sausage with tomato sauce. It will last me two days. Repeat after two days with a different meat, but still tomato sauce. Aren't those cliff bars expensive though? I usually have to eat 6x a day to keep my weight. If those Cliff bars are cheap, it's a good way to not waste studying time and keep my weight up.

Rice cooker, steak/chicken, sriracha, and multivitamins. Oh, and a 40 oz.

I've contemplated putting together a cookbook for the broke azz dental life. I've mastered cooking healthy gourmet meals for a week under $25.

Lemon pepper baked cod. Full of flavor. Perfect with any seasonal vegetables.

15153_731608972733_1221359_n.jpg

Homemade organic guacamole
1526712_10101767089899613_1423259789_n.jpg

Homemade raspberry jam

417628_10100517436554933_895394667_n.jpg

Grilled shrimp over spinach salad

12317_786284562413_5472142_n.jpg

Slow cooker vegetable soup. So full of flavor
30534_797535640163_1575739_n.jpg

Sweet and spicy marinated chicken
15153_731608977723_2027121_n.jpg

I don't mess around.

Reactions: 2 users
I've contemplated putting together a cookbook for the broke azz dental life. I've mastered cooking healthy gourmet meals for a week under $25.
Woah you cook like that and only spend 25 bucks in a week? Or did I read that wrong

Lemon pepper baked cod. Full of flavor. Perfect with any seasonal vegetables.

15153_731608972733_1221359_n.jpg

Homemade organic guacamole
1526712_10101767089899613_1423259789_n.jpg

Homemade raspberry jam

417628_10100517436554933_895394667_n.jpg

Grilled shrimp over spinach salad

12317_786284562413_5472142_n.jpg

Slow cooker vegetable soup. So full of flavor
30534_797535640163_1575739_n.jpg

Sweet and spicy marinated chicken
15153_731608977723_2027121_n.jpg

I don't mess around.

I'm starving at the library....trying to get some work done and here you go trying to be Paula Deen with a pinch of Rachel Ray. If you have a roommate, he/she is one blessed son of a gun.

I'll try to take a picture when I make my next one, but here's my dietary secret (you have to like routine / monotony though):

Ingredients:
-Frozen Costco Strawberries (12 lbs. for $8.99)
-Kirkland Signature Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (two quarts for $7.00)
-Two gallons any variety milk ($3.40 for 2 gallons at Costco) **It's actually even tastier with soymilk if that's your thing and you have that kind of cash to spend**
-Spinach (2.5 lbs for $4.29)
-Bananas ($1.39 per bag at Costco)

Strawberry Banana Smoothie (a blender full):
-2.5 cups of milk first
-Handful of spinach next (you will not taste it, don't worry, it just adds nutritional value)
-Two handfuls of frozen strawberries
-Two or three tablespoons of Greek yogurt
-One banana

Blend until smooth.

It takes five minutes to make, produces one blender full, has tons of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, high quality protein, low fat (depending on your milk choice), low salt, and lots of water.
I usually have 2-3 blenders full each day with avocado toast (toasted bread with half a slice of avocado on each) and scrambled eggs (2 yolks + 6 whites)

I consume around 4,000+ calories because I lift three days a week (maxing @ 460lbs. on deadlift), and I run every day I don't lift. With this diet I never run out of fuel. When I was eating the standard three or four meals a day I used to get tired, unmotivated, and burned out because it was hard to keep my meals consistent and healthy. Now I spend no more than 15 - 20 minutes per day making all of my meals, the dishes are easy (doesn't take much to drink smoothies!) and I eat consistently and healthily. Another added benefit is that I no longer throw away uneaten food and my food spending dropped by 25% or 30%. Someone consuming half my daily caloric intake (say ~2,000 cals) would likely spend ~$30 per week with smoothies + some other staple foods as I currently spend ~$60 total per week @ 4,000+ cals.

No special blenders or juicers required. I use a $30 blender I got for Christmas one year. Definitely not cooking like kitty^2 though...

Last edited:
I'll try to take a picture when I make my next one, but here's my dietary secret (you have to like routine / monotony though):

Ingredients:
-Frozen Costco Strawberries (12 lbs. for $8.99)
-Kirkland Signature Non-Fat Greek Yogurt (two quarts for $7.00)
-Two gallons any variety milk ($3.40 for 2 gallons at Costco) **It's actually even tastier with soymilk if that's your thing and you have that kind of cash to spend**
-Spinach (2.5 lbs for $4.29)
-Bananas ($1.39 per bag at Costco)

Strawberry Banana Smoothie (a blender full):
-2.5 cups of milk first
-Handful of spinach next (you will not taste it, don't worry, it just adds nutritional value)
-Two handfuls of frozen strawberries
-Two or three tablespoons of Greek yogurt
-One banana

Blend until smooth.

It takes five minutes to make, produces one blender full, has tons of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, high quality protein, low fat (depending on your milk choice), low salt, and lots of water.
I usually have 2-3 blenders full each day with avocado toast (toasted bread with half a slice of avocado on each) and scrambled eggs (2 yolks + 6 whites)

I consume around 4,000+ calories because I lift three days a week (maxing @ 460lbs. on deadlift), and I run every day I don't lift. With this diet I never run out of fuel. When I was eating the standard three or four meals a day I used to get tired, unmotivated, and burned out because it was hard to keep my meals consistent and healthy. Now I spend no more than 15 - 20 minutes per day making all of my meals, the dishes are easy (doesn't take much to drink smoothies!) and I eat consistently and healthily. Another added benefit is that I no longer throw away uneaten food and my food spending dropped by 25% or 30%. Someone consuming half my daily caloric intake (say ~2,000 cals) would likely spend ~$30 per week with smoothies + some other staple foods as I currently spend ~$60 total per week @ 4,000+ cals.

No special blenders or juicers required. I use a $30 blender I got for Christmas one year. Definitely not cooking like kitty^2 though...

Is that 4k calories for maintenance ?!! That's crazy. Mine is only 3k. I'm on a cutting session right now though so my macros and calories are way different :(

Bulking is more fun

Nah, I'm bulking right now (without having to consume tons of brown rice and chicken breast either!) and have steadily been increasing my lifts almost every week. Bench is @ 315lbs. and squat is @ 425 lbs. so it is possible to make gains, eat cheaply, and make quick simple 'meals'. :) My maintenance is around 3,000 calories (6'4" @ 215lbs).

I have a friend who consumes 6,000+ calories per day! He's a monster though and I'm almost certain 'roids make up at least half of those calories haha.

Last edited:
Toaster oven is my best friend. Tuna melts for days son!

On the menu for next week: loaded baked potato and chicken casserole, buffalo chicken sliders, stuffed peppers, and cheesy chicken and rice. Also gonna prep some lettuce for easy, quick salads and going to make bulk french onion and parmesan rice for a easily reheated side.

On the menu for next week: loaded baked potato and chicken casserole, buffalo chicken sliders, stuffed peppers, and cheesy chicken and rice. Also gonna prep some lettuce for easy, quick salads and going to make bulk french onion and parmesan rice for a easily reheated side.
Teach me your ways sensei

Teach me your ways sensei
I'll post the recipes tomorrow - hopefully with progress reports throughout the week. But the secret to my success is taking Pinterest recipes and modify them for the palate of my household. I love using Pinterest to meal plan. I cannot stress it enough!

I'll post the recipes tomorrow - hopefully with progress reports throughout the week. But the secret to my success is taking Pinterest recipes and modify them for the palate of my household. I love using Pinterest to meal plan. I cannot stress it enough!

Idk if you're female, but pinterest is for females.
I refuse to get one.. so hook it up!
Lol jk, but no really

Nah, I'm bulking right now (without having to consume tons of brown rice and chicken breast either!) and have steadily been increasing my lifts almost every week. Bench is @ 315lbs. and squat is @ 425 lbs. so it is possible to make gains, eat cheaply, and make quick simple 'meals'. :) My maintenance is around 3,000 calories (6'4" @ 215lbs).

I have a friend who consumes 6,000+ calories per day! He's a monster though and I'm almost certain 'roids make up at least half of those calories haha.

Yeah, you could bench 2 of me at a time lol; wish I had that kind of motivation. What a beast!

All this food looks amazing, but if I'm being realistic, I'll happily consume boxed and frozen food for weeks on end. Really dough, Tombstone pizzas are the staple of my "diet."

Last edited:
I hope I go to school with one you amazing cooks...

Yeah, you could bench 2 of me at a time lol; wish I had that kind of motivation. What a beast!

All this food looks amazing, but if I'm being realistic, I'll happily consume boxed and frozen food for weeks on end. Really dough, Tombstone pizzas are the staple of my "diet."

Haha thanks. It doesn't take as much motivation or commitment as you might think though. Most of my gains were made with workouts totaling 3-4 hours per week. The most important thing is consistency.

Plain white rice. You can buy a 10 pound bag of rice for like 5-6 dollars. I am pretty big into lifting so I have gone through a few so far. Add some soy sauce and it is really tasty. Rice is a good source of carbs too to keep you going.

In for kitty's guac recipe

Here are my upcoming recipes for this weeks meals:

Chimichanga (this is kind of a cheater recipe, I make homemade ones on occasion, but if I'm short on time this is a go to)
Place frozen chimichangas in a baking dish. In a bowl mix a can of cream of chicken soup and 1 cup shredded cheese (I use a mexican blend). Blend together and pour over chimichangas. Top with a jar of white queso. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with mexican style rice and a margarita.

French Onion and Parmesan Rice ( I usually double or triple this so I have a side to reheat throughout the week)
1 c. long grain rice
1 (10 3/4 oz.) French Onion soup
1 (10 3/4 oz.) beef consume (can replace with beef broth)
1 stick butter
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Place rice in a 8x11 baking dish. Add soup and consume'. Stir to combine. Place stick of butter in center of rice mixture. Bake for 40 minutes until most of the liquid has absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from oven. Stir well. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake 5-7 additional minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and stir before serving.

Loaded Baked Potato & Chicken Casserole
3 – 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp, cooled and crumbled
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 4 green onions, sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan or casserole dish.
Spread half of the diced potatoes in bottom of pan. Place the diced chicken breasts evenly on top. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half the bacon crumbles, 1/2 cup of the cheese, and half the green onions.
Spread the remaining diced potatoes on top, followed by the remaining bacon, another 1/2 cup cheese, remaining green onions and another 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Pour heavy cream over top of casserole and then dot with the butter. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake another 30 minutes. In the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until melted. Serve.

Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (17.5 fluid ounce) bottle buffalo wing sauce, divided
1/2 package dry ranch salad dressing mix
2 tablespoons butter
6 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise

Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker, and pour in 3/4 of the wing sauce and the ranch dressing mix. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours.
Once the chicken has cooked, add the butter, and shred the meat finely with two forks. Pile the meat onto the hoagie rolls, and splash with the remaining buffalo wing sauce to serve.