Measurable items for "metrics"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our large health group developed a contract where a portion of salary is connected to quality metrics. This is something that can be measurable (think of A1c for diabetics) and repeated yearly or more frequently. Psychiatry also has metrics (for now its monitoring Li/renal fxn on Lithium patients and metabolic panel for atypicals). Charts get audited and to get the entire quality component of salary you need to have demonstrated that you completed these labs. Not a good contract but thats how it is.

I was wondering if anyone else has to follow such requirements. If so what measurable clinical items do you track in your clinics? Im looking for something that is easy to get done, and also get the administration to approve it (who by the way are not psychiatrists).

Members don't see this ad.

PHQ-9
AUDIT-C / AUDIT
Fagerstrom Nicotine Dependence Scale
Q 6 month metabolic monitoring for SGA - waist circumference, BMI, lipid, AIC, fasting glucose
Q 6 month serum Li and renal function

The admin love their checkboxes and forms. Every QI meeting seems to result in more paperwork for the docs.

Don't have any requirements at present, but when I was working in a public clinic, there was a push to have all patients complete a rating scale every 3 months. Can't remember which one it was, but it had 32 questions, the completion rate was very low and the case managers wasted a lot of time trying to get patients to do it.

Would think that any rating scale that isn’t going to too onerous could be appropriate. A self-reporting scale like the K10 or PHQ9 can be completed by the patient in a consult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I mention that quality metrics are 5% of my salary (as well as meeting patient satisfaction score targets being additional 5% of salary)?
PHQ-9 is already being completed and cant be used for the metrics.
Needless to say Im leaving the job this month, but Im trying to make metrics that are easy to meet for our remaining Docs.

PHQ-9
AUDIT-C / AUDIT
Fagerstrom Nicotine Dependence Scale
Q 6 month metabolic monitoring for SGA - waist circumference, BMI, lipid, AIC, fasting glucose
Q 6 month serum Li and renal function

The admin love their checkboxes and forms. Every QI meeting seems to result in more paperwork for the docs.

I forgot to add AIMS testing every quarter.