Mechanical engineer applying to Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikekijiji

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a Mechanical Engineer graduate from Canada, I have a 3.3 GPA and I write my MCATs January of 2015, Also doing the premed courses this coming September (biology, physics, and chem). I do not have any volunteer experience. I am wondering about if you can give me any advice towards caribbean schools . I was in contact with AUC, and they seem helpful. I have been reading that Caribbean schools as of lately are not what they used to be and I should stay away.
If you have any pointers that would be great. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

My pointer on Caribbean schools? Don't apply to any of them, especially since you have yet to even make an attempt to get into a Canadian or American MD/DO school. Second, start getting some volunteer experience (including clinical experience if you don't have any yet). Third, make sure you are serious about doing well in school before you step foot back in the classroom; your goal is to make all As in your prereqs (or as close to it as possible). Given your prior academic record, taking all three prereqs you listed with all three labs in one semester while studying for the MCAT is almost certainly not a very wise decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I've done a lot of physics. This is just introductory. So basically it will be chem, organic chem, and biology. Also those are courses covered in MCATs so they would compliment each other. With Engineering I had 6 or 7 classes/semester so that won't be as bad. My biggest question still. Is why Caribbean is a no go. Everyone says do not go there, but my question is why. There are a lot of ppl matching from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank You, I am wondering which DO schools would be recommended.

Apply to US DO schools that accept international applicants.

Hello, I am a Mechanical Engineer graduate from Canada, I have a 3.3 GPA and I write my MCATs January of 2015, Also doing the premed courses this coming September (biology, physics, and chem). I do not have any volunteer experience. I am wondering about if you can give me any advice towards caribbean schools . I was in contact with AUC, and they seem helpful. I have been reading that Caribbean schools as of lately are not what they used to be and I should stay away.

As someone who took bio Chem and physics in one quarter I highly recommend that you DO NOT do this. Even if you are intellectually capable, RESPECT the process. I was told this by some SDN'ers a while back after I burned out of trying to take all three pre-reqs in one quarter.

I dug myself a hole that I now have to work HARDER to climb out of.

Last edited:
I'm taking them in in one year. physics 1, chemistry 1, organic chem 1, biology 1 (first semester)
Physics 2, chemistry 2, organic chem 2, biology 2 (second semester)
what's your suggestion, that is only 4 courses/semester

I'm taking them in in one year. physics 1, chemistry 1, organic chem 1, biology 1 (first semester)

You sound like an extremely bright and smart guy. By all means, follow this route :)

Reactions: 1 user

I think this is doable as long as you are doing school only. Trying to fit it around a work schedule would be rough.

Do you already have a background in chemistry or sciences in general? Taking Organic Chemistry before taking any chemistry seems to be ill advised. On top of that, you plan to take four science courses (don't forget about labs) in one semester and immediately take the MCAT a month later does not seem like a wise game plan.

I understand that feel of being in a rush as a nontraditional but I would suggest for you to take things slower as much as you want to be in a rush.

As many have said, going to the Caribbean is a high risk proposition. I'm not familiar with Canadian medical schools but are they open to non-traditional students?

I think most schools require general chem 1 and 2 before being allowed to take organic.

Definitely exhaust the possibility of going DO before you go into the Caribbean. While true many in the Caribbean match, they have a high attrition rate, many unmatched students and most graduates are doomed into primary care. There are some chances to match general surgery, gas or EM, but even the rockstar students could never attain something like Dermatology, Urology or ENT, whereas a rockstar DO can.

Definitely exhaust the possibility of going DO before you go into the Caribbean. While true many in the Caribbean match, they have a high attrition rate, many unmatched students and most graduates are doomed into primary care. There are some chances to match general surgery, gas or EM, but even the rockstar students could never attain something like Dermatology, Urology or ENT, whereas a rockstar DO can.
dudemu5y.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

To be fair, with the current uncertainty due to upcoming changes in Medicine, I think this is a valid concern. You have encroachment from NP and PA into primary care. I personally would be very worried about future job security, especially if the politicians decide that primary doctors are redundant and too expensive, and in an effort to lower healthcare costs offload everything to the aforementioned caregivers.