Mechanisms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scotties123

GrandMacDaddy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do we need to know mechanisms for o-chem? i know we dont need to know every single little arrow, but do we need to know what attacks what, where they attack, etc.? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

short answer NO, you don't

long answer NO, but it will HELP you not only on your mcat but also in your ochem classes. KNOW the mechanisms... they make sense! nucleophile attacks an electrophile. think in term of electronegativity! you should know this, it will make life(ochem life) alot easier.

long answer NO, but it will HELP you not only on your mcat but also in your ochem classes. KNOW the mechanisms... they make sense! nucleophile attacks an electrophile. think in term of electronegativity! you should know this, it will make life(ochem life) alot easier.

thanks for ur reply. the nucleophile attacking the electrophile is a basic concept and easy to get, but what im asking is how detailed of a mechanism do we need to know? just as far as Nuc. hittin Elec.?

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for ur reply. the nucleophile attacking the electrophile is a basic concept and easy to get, but what im asking is how detailed of a mechanism do we need to know? just as far as Nuc. hittin Elec.?

I would learn these rules, because if you really understand them you can derive any mechanism:

http://courses.cm.utexas.edu/biverson/ch310m/fall2005/MainPagesFl05/GoldenRulesFl05.html

This guy does a amazing job of breaking down o-chem into simple rules and guidelines that show how easy and logical complex reaction mechanisms really are.

In fact, I'd suggest anybody struggling with o-chem poke around this site.

i agree here. i learned the stuff in o-chem and didn't really do much of o-chem for mcat studying b/c you already know what is going to happen, even if you can't remember the name of the reaction.