Med-Law???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shades McCool

Kal-el
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just like the Man-Law commercial, what should be debated as Med-Law?

Any good ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Dang I thought this was a thread about med student law student power couples. :love:

If there is free food involved it is your obligation to obtain some.

Members don't see this ad :)
Power couples? Why not dual degree? :laugh:

Well for me the appeal is in the satisfaction of being an MD who gets to be on the giving end of the physician-lawyer sodomy for a change.

Unless you have some weird sort of flexibility going on. Either way, I doubt it would be as satisfying...

when your college buddies question why you study for exams two weeks in advance, you will calmly laugh it off and not beat his head in with your reflex hammer, gauge his eyes out with your pen light, ball-tap him with your stethescope, and smother his face in Robbins' pictures of syphilis

What would the benefit of getting a JD and an MD be? I know of med schools that will pay for students to get their JDs - but I'm not sure what the point is. Can someone fill me in?

Med-Law: Anyone talking about how they didn't study at all and are so far behind later seen in a study cubicle at 1am and honoring the class shall be beaten mercilessly.

What would the benefit of getting a JD and an MD be? I know of med schools that will pay for students to get their JDs - but I'm not sure what the point is. Can someone fill me in?

It depends on what your interests are. MD-JDs can work in forensics, administration, malpractice, policy etc.

You could also be an expert witness if you have some experience practicing in a specialty; take a look in the back of any issue of the ABA Journal to get an idea of expert witness ads, which are disturbingly similar to personals ads.

Patent law is another field that could use some MDs, although all science types are useful as a whole.

What med school would pay for students to get JDs? That makes no sense to me. I seriously doubt folks in medicine feel that there aren't enough lawyers out there. And the ability to use both degrees together is pretty limited -- possibly only in health policy, consulting or academics, or maybe as an expert witness. No real point to have an MD for medmal -- 99.99% of all medmal lawyers have just the JD and do fine (they hire the medical expertise they need, on the client's dime). In most cases you are basically forced to use one degree or the other, or try to convince potential employers that they have some unrealized need for the combo -- basically you would need to be a trailblazer. Patent law actively seeks advanced science degrees, but would rather have PhDs than MDs. And in such case even if the MD got you in the door, you would be working as a lawyer, not leveraging your other advanced degree as much. And not being compensated beyond the other JDs at your firm in most cases. There is no evidence that folks with this combo earn more, so the additional credential does not pay dividends financially. So I cannot believe any med school would sponsor this.

You mean besides the Fat Man's laws?

Here's one for you: If you've never heard of the Fat Man's law's, you deserve a good a** kicking, and a copy of The House of God.

If you never again want to touch a patient, yet you aren't competitive for radiology. If you are schizophrenic. If you truly want to stand in the abyss of diametrically opposed entities in order to battle out a long standing personal moral dilemna.

Members don't see this ad :)
What med school would pay for students to get JDs? That makes no sense to me. I seriously doubt folks in medicine feel that there aren't enough lawyers out there. And the ability to use both degrees together is pretty limited -- possibly only in health policy, consulting or academics, or maybe as an expert witness. No real point to have an MD for medmal -- 99.99% of all medmal lawyers have just the JD and do fine (they hire the medical expertise they need, on the client's dime). In most cases you are basically forced to use one degree or the other, or try to convince potential employers that they have some unrealized need for the combo -- basically you would need to be a trailblazer. Patent law actively seeks advanced science degrees, but would rather have PhDs than MDs. And in such case even if the MD got you in the door, you would be working as a lawyer, not leveraging your other advanced degree as much. And not being compensated beyond the other JDs at your firm in most cases. There is no evidence that folks with this combo earn more, so the additional credential does not pay dividends financially. So I cannot believe any med school would sponsor this.

Mayo will send intersted students for a free 2 year JD (in Arizona) in between their 2nd and 3rd years of medical school.

If you never again want to touch a patient, yet you aren't competitive for radiology. If you are schizophrenic. If you truly want to stand in the abyss of diametrically opposed entities in order to battle out a long standing personal moral dilemna.

Hmmm....

Med-Law: Anyone who asks a question at the very end of lecture that either (a. showcases their above-average knowledge on the topic or (b. has absolutely nothing to do with what will be on the exam or (c. will make the lecturer brighten up and talk for another ten minutes or (d. all of the above is fair game in the parking lot.

Not sure what you mean by this....are Med-Law studnets looked down on by MD students?

Your missing the point. This is not about MD/JD students. This thread is supposed to be creating "Man-laws" of medicine.

Med Law (per Panda, not personal experience) It is a very bad idea to 1)ask if there is anything else your resident needs 2)malinger, or 3)return for forgotten items once your resident says you may go home. Escape immediately or end up staying at least 2 more hours

Mayo will send intersted students for a free 2 year JD (in Arizona) in between their 2nd and 3rd years of medical school.

Wow. That's the most absurd waste of a school's money I ever heard. I see no real benefit to that. I hope they are at least smart enough to have those students sign an agreement never to practice medmal...

Wow. That's the most absurd waste of a school's money I ever heard. I see no real benefit to that.

Sounds like someone is worried about future competition.

Wow. That's the most absurd waste of a school's money I ever heard. I see no real benefit to that. I hope they are at least smart enough to have those students sign an agreement never to practice medmal...

Jealous b/c you had to pay for your law degree?

Your missing the point. This is not about MD/JD students. This thread is supposed to be creating "Man-laws" of medicine.

Oh I see...didn't realize I was off topic.

Yeah, that's it, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Why are you two so negative about the free, accelerated JD? Seems like the only thing another top notch professional degree could do is potentially open doors.

Why are you two so negative about the free, accelerated JD? Seems like the only thing another top notch professional degree could do is potentially open doors.

You certainly lose nothing from shaving a year off of law school; the more I sit around in class, the more I suspect the third year exists mainly so firms can test-drive new lawyers as summer associates during the 2nd summer.

What law school in AZ is this, anyway?

Open doors to what? What would be the incentive to have both degrees? More money? No standard job requires both degrees, therefore no employer is going to pay an MD/JD more to fill a position that could be filled by a regular MD or JD.

Open doors to what? What would be the incentive to have both degrees? More money? No standard job requires both degrees, therefore no employer is going to pay an MD/JD more to fill a position that could be filled by a regular MD or JD.

It seems like a combination of degrees that is better suited for a person with lots of leadership potential. The degrees aren't going to better qualify you for cookie-cutter MD or JD positions, but I could envision the right person making some pretty big things happen by utilizing all that knowledge. (Don't know that I'm such a person ;) But I could see how there are some people out there)

What's the point of getting both degrees???

It seems like a combination of degrees that is better suited for a person with lots of leadership potential. The degrees aren't going to better qualify you for cookie-cutter MD or JD positions, but I could envision the right person making some pretty big things happen by utilizing all that knowledge. (Don't know that I'm such a person ;) But I could see how there are some people out there)

Someone like David Kessler.

http://www.fda.gov/oc/commissioners/kessler.html

Med-Law: Anyone who asks a question at the very end of lecture that either (a. showcases their above-average knowledge on the topic or (b. has absolutely nothing to do with what will be on the exam or (c. will make the lecturer brighten up and talk for another ten minutes or (d. all of the above is fair game in the parking lot.

I second that!

Jealous b/c you had to pay for your law degree?

Nah. It's a done deal and I already recouped my investment with it several times over, so I'm cool with that. But given that I don't see much of a future use for it on this medicine path and I've already got one, it seems a bit strange that a school would pay for something of such limited utility in medicine. Where's the benefit that makes it worth such expenditure? It just boggles my mind.

Sure. But we are talking about 1 or 2 such people out of the hundreds who have that combination. Not exactly worth it for a school to pony up. You get better return on investment at the track.

You certainly lose nothing from shaving a year off of law school; the more I sit around in class, the more I suspect the third year exists mainly so firms can test-drive new lawyers as summer associates during the 2nd summer.

What law school in AZ is this, anyway?

Which is why I did law school in 2.5 years.:D

Sure. But we are talking about 1 or 2 such people out of the hundreds who have that combination. Not exactly worth it for a school to pony up. You get better return on investment at the track.

Yeah, like this guy. Doesn't seem to have used the medical degree at all besides for some marketing kitsch.

Yeah, like this guy. Doesn't seem to have used the medical degree at all besides for some marketing kitsch.

Haha

That guy is horrible! I hope the Mayo students who choose MD-JD do something more construvive than THAT!