Med-Peds Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to start a thread for those applying to med-peds to share where they have gotten offers for interviews. I haven't really heard from many med-peds programs, so I'm just wondering if others have gotten interviews anywhere.

The only program that I've heard from so far is the University of Michigan Program 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Heard back from:

U of Minnesota - MN
USC - CA
Rush - IL
U of Illinois - IL
SUNY Stony Brook - NY
Rochester - NY
Albert Einstein - PA

I have interviews from Rochester, USC, and Case Wester/Rainbow. How many programs did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to med-peds as well. i submitted about a week ago and have heard from:
rush - chicago
illinois - chicag
wisconsin
cincinnati (strange email saying will be sending interview details)

hope more come soon:)

Heard from U of Michigan Program 1 and Baylor today.

Did anyone hear from any other programs?

Originally posted by scortch77
i applied to med-peds as well. i submitted about a week ago and have heard from:
rush - chicago
illinois - chicag
wisconsin
cincinnati (strange email saying will be sending interview details)

hope more come soon:)

Hey Scortch...

Since you're from Chicago, what do you think of UIC and Rush?

Heard from VCU/MCV - VA the other day too

sorry for not logging in sooner.
my school does not have a medpeds program, so my insider knowledge of the two (and other chicago programs) is limited to what i hear about the individual programs.
IM at uic is supposed to be pretty good with good diversity of cases and autonomy. i hear that the faculty is pretty good to so-so. I haven't heard too much about peds there as i think it gets overlooked by u of chicago and children's.
Rush Im i have been hearing variable things about. At first i was hearing a lot of good things about the faculty, but some of my friends who did rotations there did not get a good vibe from the residents in terms of being allowed to do much. again, i don't know much about the peds side.

i hope this helps. i'm hoping to find out more about these programs myself before i interview in the winter:)

Haven't heard from people applying to med-peds for a while. I just got an interview from Vanderbilt this week. Any news for you guys?

Hey I am a CC-III who would like to know some details about med-peds programs, we dont have one here at UVa. Most of the programs are 4-5 years correct? How competitive are these positions? I know that most programs frown on applying to two different types of programs say Intmed and surgery at the same time, but what about applying to Med-peds programs and then some plain med programs for backup in the incident you didnt get a med-peds spot?

Originally posted by jmattwilson
Hey I am a CC-III who would like to know some details about med-peds programs, we dont have one here at UVa. Most of the programs are 4-5 years correct? How competitive are these positions? I know that most programs frown on applying to two different types of programs say Intmed and surgery at the same time, but what about applying to Med-peds programs and then some plain med programs for backup in the incident you didnt get a med-peds spot?

Med-Peds programs are 4 years long. I still really don't know how competitive they are, even though I'm applying. There are a few programs where I applied to for both IM and Med-Peds, and I just got interview in the Med-Peds portion. I don't know if that's done on purpose where they only invite you to one of the two, or if it means Med-Peds is slightly less competitive. I really cannot tell at this point. As for applying to plain IM or plain peds programs on top of Med-Peds, it is actually very common for people to do that, since there are very few spots in Med-Peds.

Oh, and I also heard from Brown yesterday.

Anyone know much about the program at cincinnati?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys
realized that hte med-peds thread might be in IM and i found this one, nice :)

i applied to 15 of the 20 programs in NY and Ohio.
15 Program(s) Applied To
NY
1. albany Medical Center Program, Latham, NY
2 SUNY at Buffalo Graduate Medical-Dental Education Consortium 3 Staten Island University Hospital Program, Staten Island, NY
4 University of Rochester Program, Rochester, NY
5 St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York Program, 6 SUNY at Stony Brook Program, Stony Brook, NY
7 Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, NY
8 Maimonides Medical Center Program, Brooklyn, NY
Ohio
9 Akron General Medical Center/Children's Hospital Medical
10 Case Western Reserve University/MetroHealth Medical Center 11 Ohio State University Program, Columbus, OH
12 Western Reserve Care System/NEOUCOM Program, University 13 Hospital/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine Program, 14 RB&C/ University Hospitals/Case Western Reserve University
15. Summa Health System (Children's Hospital Medical Center)

i have heard from all but sinai and been offered interviews. I just interviewed at SIUH this past friday. I am probably going to interview at 10 of the 14 or 11 if sinai offers one. scheduling has been tough for sure!
i have heard that cincinatti is a great program but being out of state I am not sure how it compares to the rest of the ohio programs or nationally. I was under the impression that cinci, both case western programs, and ohio state were quality programs but i am not sure.
good luck all!

Originally posted by jmattwilson
Is the albany program your top choice as of now?

probably not, but it is high up there. the numbers are not ranks just a way to organize. we shall see when I go see all the schools :)

Sorry to bother you all with one of these "what are my chances" posts, but I need to know how hard it is to get a med peds spot. I am a MS3 at Wayne State Univ (Detroit) and the director of the program there told me that 80-85% of the spots in the country fill every year.

My grades pretty much suck (definitely lower 1/2 of class, probably lower 1/3) and I got a 210 on Step I. My whole thing is that I really don't care where I end up. Is there hope?

Originally posted by jimmybee
Sorry to bother you all with one of these "what are my chances" posts, but I need to know how hard it is to get a med peds spot. I am a MS3 at Wayne State Univ (Detroit) and the director of the program there told me that 80-85% of the spots in the country fill every year.

My grades pretty much suck (definitely lower 1/2 of class, probably lower 1/3) and I got a 210 on Step I. My whole thing is that I really don't care where I end up. Is there hope?

You will match at least somewhere. You probably will match at a decent program as well. Med-Peds is actually not that competitive at all. It is probably around the same, if not less, competitive than categorical IM or Peds.

I understand your concern, since Med-Peds doesn't seem to be widely popular and not too many people know about it. However, Wayne State has one of the best Med-Peds resources web sites that I can find. I would assume that you can find out a lot from the med-peds residents and the med-peds program director.

If you want more info or want to know my "stats," you can PM me.

Hi, I have applied to 10 programs so far:
1. Cincinnati
2. U of Minnesota
3. U of Tenn-Memphis
4. Baylor
5. U of North Carolina
6. Cedars-Sinai (in LA)
7. U of Indiana
8. Harvard
9. UC-San Diego
10. U of Kansas-Wichita

I've had invites to #1-6. I have heard from people who interviewed in years past at Cincinnati that they really like the program, but don't like the city--has anyone else heard anything similar? I also had some friends who did externships at UCSD, and said it was very malignant, and that they're pretty big on themselves out there. If anyone wants more details on that, let me know. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to find out good info on programs--they pretty much sound the same on the websites, and some have such bad websites, I can't tell what's going on! Has anyone found any good resources? I think it will be helpful to post our interview experiences as we start on the trail. . .I'm also debating whether to apply to more programs or not. I definitely don't want to interview at more than 10 places, I'm also having problems gauging how difficult it is to get into the particular programs I've applied to, as I don't know which ones are the most competitive.

Try also the following website:

www.medpeds.org (it's also linked to the website previously mentioned)

Coming from a fairly good school (which does not have a Med/Peds program) on the West coast , I was told that I would match to a good program. This shows you how skewed the whole match thing is. I've applied to 22 programs and have heard back from 12 so far. Our dean's letter has not been released yet so I'm waiting to hear from maybe a few more programs.

I think Med/Peds is just as competitive as each program's respective categorical programs. In fact, many programs have peds and med interviewers. I've heard that the "better" programs have an actual med/peds PD and not associate med and peds directors.

About the UCSD thing, I've actually heard from a medicine intern who interviewed there last year that the reason she chose my school over UCSD for IM was because the IM residents didn't seem happy/ecstatic about the program. But she did say that the only resident she talked to who was happy was the med/peds resident. I'm still applying there as it would be a great place to live.

Here are the programs I've heard from:

USC - CA
U of Minnesota - MN
Rush - IL
U of Illinois - IL
Albert Einstein - PA
Yale Bridgeport - CT
SUNY Stony Brook - NY
Rochester - NY
VCU - VA
UMass - MA
U of Miami - FL

I've heard from 1/2 of my 8 (just applied 1 week ago... always been a bit of a procrastinator):

1. Indiana University (My Current Med School)
2. Milwaukee (Did an away rotation there- Peds has strong academics, Medicine was a bit lacking; I was a little surprised that they had so few interview spots left...)
3. Minnesota (I keep hearing great things about this program)
4. Ohio State

Awaiting:
1. Vanderbilt
2. Baylor
3. University of Chicago
4. University of North Carolina

As for getting into Med-Peds programs, I've been told by several Med-Peds interns that most programs (even the strong ones) are not very competitive. One intern told me that she was completely average (normal board scores, mainly passes and high passes in rotations and basic sciences) and she was surprised how interested many of the Med-Peds programs were, and she had no difficulty matching her #1 program.

Good luck to all fellow Med-Peds candidates... hope to see you on the interview trail!!!

;)

Since everyone is summarizing, here are my interviews so far, in no particular order:
(1) University of Michigan Program 1
(2) University of Michigan Program 2
(3) Vanderbilt
(4) Case Western/RBC/University Hospital
(5) Baylor
(6) Brown
(7) Yale-Bridgeport
(8) USC
(9) Rochester

I'm still waiting to hear from 9 other programs.

Originally posted by 1996
Since everyone is summarizing, here are my interviews so far, in no particular order:
(1) University of Michigan Program 1
(2) University of Michigan Program 2
(3) Vanderbilt
(4) Case Western/RBC/University Hospital
(5) Baylor
(6) Brown
(7) Yale-Bridgeport
(8) USC
(9) Rochester

I'm still waiting to hear from 9 other programs.

1996 when are u at case western/rbc and rochester?
dec 8 for cw/rbc and dec 11 for rochester for me (or around then, i dont have my calendar in front of me now)

i am still waiting to hear from sinai. strange how all the others came so quickly. now i am wondering if i will be offerred one. :)

good luck guys and safe travels

What is the average salary for Med-peds?

Just to throw this on since people are wondering about how long it takes to hear [I am doing more the southeast region, I don't see a lot of overlap with some of you guys' programs]
I applied to 10, and finally have interviews at all 10:

--First was UNC Chapel Hill who responded in about 3 days
--Then Duke, UAB, Baylor, Minnesota, Tulane, UAMS, and Houston responded over the next week
--Vanderbilt took a bit longer, finally heard from them after 2 weeks,
--and then this past Friday i heard from Harvard (took a total of 3 weeks from them)

So that's all of them. The problem I'm running into is that 6 or 7 of these places all seem to want to interview on Monday or Tuesday, so it's a pain to schedule them.

If anyone has looked strongly at any of my places I'd love to see what you've found out, I'm probably a little behind on all of my research.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by aeneas3
1996 when are u at case western/rbc and rochester?
dec 8 for cw/rbc and dec 11 for rochester for me (or around then, i dont have my calendar in front of me now)

i am still waiting to hear from sinai. strange how all the others came so quickly. now i am wondering if i will be offerred one. :)

good luck guys and safe travels

I'll go to CWR on 12/2 and Rochester on 11/25.

I'm kinda worried about a few programs that I'm still waiting to hear from too, especially since it seems like there are people who have already heard from some of these programs.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the links, guys. I was wondering if anyone out there has heard anything about the Phoenix programs? Their websites are pretty sparse.

Originally posted by 1996
I'll go to CWR on 12/2 and Rochester on 11/25.

I'm kinda worried about a few programs that I'm still waiting to hear from too, especially since it seems like there are people who have already heard from some of these programs.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
\

yeah the whole sinai thing is confusing me since i heard from the others pretty quickly. we shall see, i dont have time to go there but i guess i will make time if they offer :)

re: phoenix - havent heard a thing. all i know is that the NM med schools didnt accept out of staters the year that I applied...not that that is relevant for residencies really

Just to update, I've gotten interview offers from UCSD and Univ. of MN. I'm just waiting on Harvard and U of Indiana now. Have any of you gotten rejections? I don't know if programs are done with invites or what. Should we be contacting programs we haven't heard from?

I would think it's a little early yet to start asking programs what your status is, because surely they aren't done with invites; in fact, a couple of friends of mine that are doing med-peds just got invites just yesterday.
Also, I haven't heard of anyone getting any rejections yet, but it would make sense to me that a program wouldn't send out any rejections until they had filled all the slots they want to, as opposed to sending out premature rejections and then having lots of people not respond for interviews. That's just speculation though..
And for Leslita- i didn't apply to IU; but i can tell you Harvard was the last one I heard from, they took a total of about 5 or 6 weeks after I applied to offer an interview.

Originally posted by klopek
I would think it's a little early yet to start asking programs what your status is, because surely they aren't done with invites; in fact, a couple of friends of mine that are doing med-peds just got invites just yesterday.
Also, I haven't heard of anyone getting any rejections yet, but it would make sense to me that a program wouldn't send out any rejections until they had filled all the slots they want to, as opposed to sending out premature rejections and then having lots of people not respond for interviews. That's just speculation though..
And for Leslita- i didn't apply to IU; but i can tell you Harvard was the last one I heard from, they took a total of about 5 or 6 weeks after I applied to offer an interview.

Hey, Klopek, just out of curiosity, are there a lot of med-peds applicants at your school? The reason I'm asking is that my school strongly discourages people from going into med-peds, and, as a result, historically not many people applied from my school. Just want to see what the trend is like at other places.

Congratulations on your interviews.

Good question 1996, I was about to bring that topic up myself. It's an interesting question because it's sort of a hot topic around here this year.
Typically, there are around 3-4 applicants from each class here that do med-peds. This year, for some reason that no one can figure out, there is a glut of med-peds applicants. On our last count, there are 10-12 in our class out of 140. It's a little concerning to me because I wasn't sure if this is a national trend, which would obviously make med-peds more competitive, or just a fluke at our school. Our school takes 5-6 med-peds people, and I think most of the people in my class would like to stay here, which automatically makes that rather competitive. I am actually looking to go somewhere else, so the large number doesn't hurt me unless it's a nationwide issue.
I'm surprised to hear that other schools discourage med-peds. It just seems like such a good choice (obviously, that's why we're all here), which of course has pros and cons but it certainly isn't discouraged here.
One other thought is that I have already heard of 3 or 4 of those people in our class that may have switched from med-peds to something else even as late as 3 weeks ago; so maybe that will settle out as people choose other things but there will still be more than usual...

I just interviewed at UNC, and the program director there said that nationwide, 280 people applied to Med-Peds. I was shocked that the number was so low, although it made me a bit more confident that I would match somewhere! There is a relatively large number of people applying to Med-Peds at my school as well, although like klopek said, several people have decided to go either medicine or peds lately too.

Originally posted by leslita
I just interviewed at UNC, and the program director there said that nationwide, 280 people applied to Med-Peds. I was shocked that the number was so low, although it made me a bit more confident that I would match somewhere! There is a relatively large number of people applying to Med-Peds at my school as well, although like klopek said, several people have decided to go either medicine or peds lately too.

280 for 305 spots? cant remember the exact number of seats. i wonder if that 280 includes IMGs or not. at my school no one knows much about med-peds. most people when i tell them didnt know that it exists. i think we average 1-2/year out of 150. of course we dont have a program either so that may have something to do with it.

just curious too - i know it is early but i wonder how many of you guys and how many of those 280 applicants are going to specialize afterwards. I know that doing a combined fellowship can be very hard because most do not cater to med + peds together, only separately. Except for allergy and immunology

ok so more than 305. i counted 318 doing a quick scan on freida but a lot of schools didnt report. interesting :)

Those numbers are interesting... My school too has tons of candidates going into M/P this year. Usually we have 0-1/year. This year 5-7.

Interesting... so out of our sample size of 3 or 4, it looks like a lot of school have significantly more applicants than usual. However, it looks like overall the number may not be inflated. The FMG thing could be complicating things, but it seems like they should be included in that 280 (they still use ERAS don't they?? i don't really know...)

As far as specializing, to answer aeneas' question... I most certainly plan on specializing. In fact, that's one of the reasons I chose med-peds, the large variety of choices you have for fellowships. And it's true that combined fellowships are rare and more demanding, if I have to pick peds or adults only, no big deal, I obviously like them both since I'm doing med-peds.

I was just going to add, since we were talking about it.. right after my last post I ran into the med-peds program director here, who also happens to be my advisor... and I asked him if he knew if this was a nationwide trend.
He said that yes, overall there is a nationwide increased in med-peds applicants.. he said that looking at the past 2-3 years, medicine is stable, peds is down, family is down, and med-peds is up. How much, he didn't say; he didn't make it sound like a ton but I guess it's safe to say med-peds will be a little more competitive this year but not a huge change.

Originally posted by klopek
Interesting... so out of our sample size of 3 or 4, it looks like a lot of school have significantly more applicants than usual. However, it looks like overall the number may not be inflated. The FMG thing could be complicating things, but it seems like they should be included in that 280 (they still use ERAS don't they?? i don't really know...)

As far as specializing, to answer aeneas' question... I most certainly plan on specializing. In fact, that's one of the reasons I chose med-peds, the large variety of choices you have for fellowships. And it's true that combined fellowships are rare and more demanding, if I have to pick peds or adults only, no big deal, I obviously like them both since I'm doing med-peds.

I would think the IMGs should be included too. not sure though. I will ask at my interview tomorrow at the end of the day if possible about the total number of applicants for med-peds or even better email them later. i have to drive to NJ to hang out with the folks before st. vincent's tomorrow so i better get going.

oh, i am going to specialize too. have a good weekend all

Klopek - since you're obviously a very strong candidate, I was wondering if there was any specific med-peds advice you could give to an MS2 student? I'm sure you did well on the boards and the core third year rotations, but was there anything else that might have helped land your interviews (Harvard in particular?)

I know this type of question comes up often, but thanks for indulging me and good luck to all. :)

Lara- I will PM you with my numbers and specifics on my application, but in general-
There's not really anything i can think of that's specific to med-peds regarding making your application strong. It's pretty much the same as any residency as far as what programs look for... 3rd year GPA, overall GPA/class rank, Board Scores, Rec Letters, Clerkship evaluations, AOA status, volunteerism, research, etc. What different places value more highly than others is sort of the big mystery, I guess, that's what everyone would like to know.
I guess the most med-peds specific advice I would give is try to really excel in your medicine and peds rotations [however your school does grades... try to get an A, or Honors, or whatever, at least in medicine and peds]. Then picking a good advisor (I used our med-peds program director) can be really helpful.
I'm sure other people have advice too, and you'll hear more as you go through. At your stage I wouln't worry too much about it, though. I didn't even know I was going to do med-peds until late in my junior year.
Hope that helps.

not sure if u guys saw this. got it today whilst i was at st vincents.
think they wil give me the $20 i spent on applying to them ;-)
ALSO
talked to a sinai student who said they just started sending invites this week, in case anyone is interested.

from email:
November 14, 2003

Dear Applicants:

I regret to inform you that we will not be interviewing applicants for
medicine/pediatric positions for the academic year beginning July 2004. We
plan to terminate the Medicine/ Pediatric Residency Program at Maimonides
Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York effective immediately.

If you are interested in applying for a pediatric position, please e-mail
Venice VanHuse, Education Program Administrator at [email protected].
If you are interested in applying for a medicine position, please e-mail
Norma Mercado, Education Program Administrator at [email protected].
(Don't forget to mention that you originally applied for medicine/pediatrics
and also mention your AAMC ID#).

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

Sincerely,

Henry A. Schaeffer, M.D.
Program Director,
Vice-Chair, Pediatric Education

Originally posted by aeneas3
what are quota and matched? confused as to what those mean :) i know albany took more than 1 last year :)

I think quota means size of the program (first number) and matched is the number who matched on matchday (second number)... This is the list of programs that did not fill on matchday and had had to scramble. It doesn't show the final filled positions... check their websites...

Has anyone heard from Maine program?

thanks for the explanation. i find it odd that buffalo, st. vincents and albany all did not match for all the spots last year. that is interesting. i guess that was part of the reason maimonedes disbanded their med-peds forces?

i am not sure about maine since i did not apply there.

Originally posted by leslita
Thanks for the links, guys. I was wondering if anyone out there has heard anything about the Phoenix programs? Their websites are pretty sparse.

This is what I know about the phx programs (native of the area and current MS3 student here).

Maricopa has more autonomy, more pathology than Good Sam. Good Sam has the faster, better, bigger aspect to it, since it's private and Maricopa is county. Totally simplistic answer. But it's something...

Oh - and every single person I have ever come in contact with from Maricopa, regardless of specialty has been great. Can't say the same for Good Sam.

The information I have been getting (primarily from the med-peds professional organization website). All says that in the past three years there has been an anticipated decline in med-peds applications and that their estimations have been accurate. From their information Med-Peds applications were down 2.9% in 2002-2003.

http://www.medpeds.org/match.htm