Med/Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm a D.O. will I have problems matching into med/peds residency?

Members don't see this ad.

allendo said:

not as long as you have decent scores (200 Step I). take a look at the residents of med-peds programs, esp in the midwest. they're peppered with DOs. Univ. of Missouri is one I know for sure that takes DOs.

P Diddy

I went to school at U of MO Columbia... they do take DOs with good scores... as does the program here in Louisville, KY where I'm doing my residency in Med/Peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
allendo said:
No more than you will in any other primary care residency. Some places will probably choke, but not a huge problem. Many, if not most, accept COMLEX scores (I didn't take USMLE). Like everything else, it'll help if you score above the mean. At least 3 med-peds program directors are DO's (Tulane, MCW, Marshfield Clinic).

I wish more DO's would apply to my program....

I am a D.O and med/peds intern at Penn State. Although I am the only D.O intern out of four, there are a couple currently in the program. I met only one along the trail but that doesn't mean anything. Overall, I don't think you should have any difficulty getting a spot.

good luck