Med-Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitaminK

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question , but what do you do after a med-peds residency? Do you open a clinic that is simply open to all ages? But then how is this any different the IM, besides the fact you get to see kids? Wouldn't you get paid the same? Can you just work as an hospitalist for all ages? Do you get paid the same? I'm just having trouble grasping the entire scope of med-peds and trying to figure out how it differs from FP and IM. I know FP can do OB and IM doesn't do kids. But in the end is there much difference in pay? I'm starting to think it may be the way for me to go, because I really like to do everything and see everyone of all ages. I thought originally I would do FP for that reason, but then started talking to someone about med-peds and realize there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

You do get paid the same. From an insurance companies standpoint, reimbursement has nothing to do with a provider's level of training. This is why nurse practioners and PA's could technically make as much as many physicians if they didn't always have to work under a physician (who siphons off part of their income to review their work or see the actual patient). Most med peders that I have talked with say that they are mainly doing it because they feel that FP is not sufficient training for primary care in all ages because you spend part of your 3 yr residency doing surgery, ob/gyn, and you don't have nearly as much in patient experience as med/peds. Some also talk about doing fellowships in things like endocrine where you can follow a patient their whole lives. One resident who I met wanted to start an adolescent clinic. I have found that most of these people seem primary care oriented though. And the pay is the same, if you end up doing the exact same thing that an FP does.