Med-Prelim/Neurology vs a Preliminary year, what's the difference??

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by ipodtouch, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

I'm researching prelim positions to apply to. I saw that Emory offered a:

Medicine-Preliminary
    Med-Prelim/Neurology

options for their prelim year. I was wondering what the difference was between these.
    I was thinking the Med-Prelim/Neurology was a categorical program, but it is specifically listed as "Preliminary" under internal medicine. Emory offers an advanced Neurology program, but no categorical.

2. TUGM

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Med-Prelim/Neurology spots are likely reserved preliminary medicine spots specifically for neurology residents. When in doubt, contact the program coordinator.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LuccaDO

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you please reveal how you searched for these programs on ERAS/FREIDA? I haven't broken my back searching for them yet but, I can't find them anywhere.

4. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

Go to programs on ERAS and then you can search for all Neurology programs.

Does no one really if I need to apply to these? Nearly every program with a categorical Neuro residency has the Med-Prelim/Neurology.

Surely someone must have applied for prelims in the past...

5. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Med-Prelim/Neurology is a spot where if you match you get both the prelim year (PGY-I) and the Neurology residency (PGY-II to PGY-IV). The Medicine-Preliminary is just the PGY-I yr by itself. Double check with the PD but that's how it was when I applied. Some programs have a guaranteed Prelim year linked with the 3 years of Neurology and others offer it to any applicant separately regardless of their specialty (Neuro, Rads, Ophtho, Anesthesia, Derm, etc).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

Yes that is correct. It is quite confusing.

SUNY Upstate has a:

-Neuro Categorical
    -Neuro Advanced
    -Medicine-Preliminary
    -Med-Prelim/Neurology

So, do I apply to all four of these options if I want to work at Upstate for any time (prelim, neuro, both)? Why is a Med-Prelim/Neurology even offered if they have a categorical?

I would email the PDs, but this is a common situation in most schools so I assumed it would be a known detail by those who applied to prelims before...

7. babeexphat

7+ Year Member

I'm also having difficulty grasping this as well. Can anyone3 care to chime in on the differences between med-prelim/neurology and a neuro categorical?
    Also, since i ma only applying to neuro, if a school has med-prelim/neurology AND medicine-prelim as an option, do i still apply to both?

8. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    -Med-Prelim/Neurology=PGY-I year in Internal Medicine+PGY-II to IV in Neurology

-Neurology Categorical=Med-Prelim/Neurology, unless it says Neurology-Advanced then it's the PGY-II to PGY IV years without a Preliminary year. Double check it but that's the way it was a few years ago.

-if you want to do your Prelim year at the same place then it's easier to apply to either the Neurology Categorical or the Med-Prelim/Neurology. Those have the Preliminary year linked with the Neurology Residency automatically if you match there. Keep in mind that a separate Medicine-Preliminary PGY-I year is offered to any applicant separately regardless of their specialty that requires it (Neuro, Rads, Ophtho, Anesthesia, Derm, etc).