Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Med-Prelim/Neurology vs a Preliminary year, what's the difference??

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by ipodtouch, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

I'm researching prelim positions to apply to. I saw that Emory offered a:

Medicine-Preliminary
    Med-Prelim/Neurology

options for their prelim year. I was wondering what the difference was between these.
    I was thinking the Med-Prelim/Neurology was a categorical program, but it is specifically listed as "Preliminary" under internal medicine. Emory offers an advanced Neurology program, but no categorical.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TUGM

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Med-Prelim/Neurology spots are likely reserved preliminary medicine spots specifically for neurology residents. When in doubt, contact the program coordinator.

4. LuccaDO

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you please reveal how you searched for these programs on ERAS/FREIDA? I haven't broken my back searching for them yet but, I can't find them anywhere.

5. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

Go to programs on ERAS and then you can search for all Neurology programs.

Does no one really if I need to apply to these? Nearly every program with a categorical Neuro residency has the Med-Prelim/Neurology.

Surely someone must have applied for prelims in the past...

6. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The Med-Prelim/Neurology is a spot where if you match you get both the prelim year (PGY-I) and the Neurology residency (PGY-II to PGY-IV). The Medicine-Preliminary is just the PGY-I yr by itself. Double check with the PD but that's how it was when I applied. Some programs have a guaranteed Prelim year linked with the 3 years of Neurology and others offer it to any applicant separately regardless of their specialty (Neuro, Rads, Ophtho, Anesthesia, Derm, etc).

7. ipodtouch

7+ Year Member

Yes that is correct. It is quite confusing.

SUNY Upstate has a:

-Neuro Categorical
    -Neuro Advanced
    -Medicine-Preliminary
    -Med-Prelim/Neurology

So, do I apply to all four of these options if I want to work at Upstate for any time (prelim, neuro, both)? Why is a Med-Prelim/Neurology even offered if they have a categorical?

I would email the PDs, but this is a common situation in most schools so I assumed it would be a known detail by those who applied to prelims before...

8. babeexphat

7+ Year Member

I'm also having difficulty grasping this as well. Can anyone3 care to chime in on the differences between med-prelim/neurology and a neuro categorical?
    Also, since i ma only applying to neuro, if a school has med-prelim/neurology AND medicine-prelim as an option, do i still apply to both?

9. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    -Med-Prelim/Neurology=PGY-I year in Internal Medicine+PGY-II to IV in Neurology

-Neurology Categorical=Med-Prelim/Neurology, unless it says Neurology-Advanced then it's the PGY-II to PGY IV years without a Preliminary year. Double check it but that's the way it was a few years ago.

-if you want to do your Prelim year at the same place then it's easier to apply to either the Neurology Categorical or the Med-Prelim/Neurology. Those have the Preliminary year linked with the Neurology Residency automatically if you match there. Keep in mind that a separate Medicine-Preliminary PGY-I year is offered to any applicant separately regardless of their specialty that requires it (Neuro, Rads, Ophtho, Anesthesia, Derm, etc).