Med School and 90 Credit Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ogdavelee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting my intensive research on Med Schools, I've noticed a tiny little footing that reads something along the lines of

"Require a minimum of 90 Credit Hours, however, Bachelors preferred"

I will be reach my 90 credits next summer. (20 credit semesters, hey! hey!) - but I have this inkling that, just maybe, I could enter with just that. It's probably doubtful, but I love the challenge. I somehow managed to graduate HS during my 11th grade year (I know HS isn't the same as entering Med School).

What say you in regards to achieving this? Save for stellar GPA and MCAT, what would help?

My Sciences GPA is 4.0, Cum GPA is around a 3.2 - I graduated LPN school with something of a 3.0 (I don't remember exact details), have years of working in healthcare related fields (CNA, LPN, etc) will be shadowing Physicians (I plan on 40 hour weeks for 10 weeks) and hopefully some stellar LORs

Members don't see this ad.

Get a full degree. While many things are possible, you will significantly weaken your app by applying without one. Getting into med school will be challenging enough even if you do everything as ideally as possible. Don't be cocky thinking you've found a magical shortcut that the rest of us missed. You haven't.

Reactions: 3 users
I apologize if I came off as arrogant, as it wasn't my attention. I'm not actively searching for a shortcut. I'm just curious if I can accomplish it. Plus, it helps stoke the proverbial fire under my butt.

Members don't see this ad :)
ogdavelee said:
I'm currently attending my local university and here in lies the problem. Administration and Faculty at this school is terrible. My "pre-med" adviser is PhD in Biology, and offered absolutely no guidance, just threw me into a bunch of classes (much to my objection and even after taking the matter to a Dean)., this adviser would making disparaging remarks and loved to call his class idiots. I've switched advisers and have received no help. I also realize it's not up to them to help me, but at least offer me some insight.

You need a serious reality check.

Because I had a problem with my local Uni?

I apologize if I came off as arrogant, as it wasn't my attention. I'm not actively searching for a shortcut. I'm just curious if I can accomplish it. Plus, it helps stoke the proverbial fire under my butt.
My point is that this process is challenging enough even when you have all your ducks lined up in a row. Don't go looking to make it harder. You want to challenge yourself personally just to see if you can accomplish something? Go train for a marathon.

Reactions: 1 user
Cum GPA is around a 3.2 - I graduated LPN school with something of a 3.0 (I don't remember exact details)

If you were to guess at the characteristics of the applicants they offer admission without a bachelors, would the first thing that comes to mind be people with GPAs that are essentially borderline in the applicant pool? Exceptions are for exceptional people or exceptional circumstances. People who are even misconstrued to think they are special when they're not don't have good outcomes in this field.