Med School and partying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Playa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there was a thread posted about this earlier, but please just try to stay on topic for this one guys, it makes it easier for me to actually find what i'm looking for lol.

I know a lot of people on here probably don't party even in their undergrad let alone med school.

I was wondering if this was even heard of? Do med school students get out and have fun on top of all that work? I loved to party (who doesn't?), to go out with some friends and have a good time in my undergrad, I don't want that to stop when I get to med school.

Is it possible to still do well in med school, and go out on the weekends and have a good time? Do people ever really do this? If so how?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, easily. It depends on 1) your studying abilities and b) your grade expectations. Plenty of students party on the weekends

I know that there was a thread posted about this earlier, but please just try to stay on topic for this one guys, it makes it easier for me to actually find what i'm looking for lol.

I know a lot of people on here probably don't party even in their undergrad let alone med school.

I was wondering if this was even heard of? Do med school students get out and have fun on top of all that work? I loved to party (who doesn't?), to go out with some friends and have a good time in my undergrad, I don't want that to stop when I get to med school.

Is it possible to still do well in med school, and go out on the weekends and have a good time? Do people ever really do this? If so how?

Of course we do. It's part of being human.

Members don't see this ad :)
People get f'd up in med school practically just as much as undergrad. We have post exam parties that are practically sponsored by the school for god sake

Our school sponsored "holiday" party had a keg in the cafeteria, hahaha.

But yes, I went out most weeks other than exam weeks. So I would say I partied just as much, if not more than I did as in undergrad. I also was in the top 1/2 of my class, so it can be done with out too much trouble. For the first 2 years at least, 3rd year is much more of a time sink

People get f'd up in med school practically just as much as undergrad. We have post exam parties that are practically sponsored by the school for god sake

Yeah, this.

We have "social chairs" whose jobs seem to be centered largely on setting up coordinated drinking activities after or between tests, and there's nothing stopping you from getting your fun on in your own time. If you can manage your time, you can find time to hang out with friends, or get trashed, depending on your preference.

I prefer a little bit of column A, a little bit of column B (in moderation! Stay classy, folks!)

seems like it would be better to party in med school since everyone is over 21 by then and you don't have to worry about the cops / drinking tickets..

stupid ALE officers. sneaky bastards..

Bwaahahaha. That's a great joke. Med school and partying LOL.

Our school sponsored "holiday" party had a keg in the cafeteria, hahaha.

But yes, I went out most weeks other than exam weeks. So I would say I partied just as much, if not more than I did as in undergrad. I also was in the top 1/2 of my class, so it can be done with out too much trouble. For the first 2 years at least, 3rd year is much more of a time sink

+1

We're busting our butts studying everyday. Partying can be a great break after an exam or during the non-exam weekend. And yeah, you can still do well in class.

three of my four housemates still go out a lot. one averages 2/3 times a week. they're all in the top half of the year so it can be done (only just in the top half). their ''aim'' is to simply pass though.

personally, i don't have the energy for parties. i go out for casual drinks twice a week but that's probably not what you're asking about :p.

there are extremes at both ends (going out a ton and not going out at all) but most people go out on a regular basis the first 2 years until money runs out.

partying is down 3rd year due to early mornings and weekend call. replaced by drinking at home every night after work

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people do, some people don't. The people who don't drop out or go crazy.

:D

okay. Not true - but yes, everyone makes time to do their hobby of choice. If that's partying, then you'll have time. You just live on a different schedule than the rest of the world, so while the UGs are going out on Friday nights you are going out on "after-the-test" nights no matter what day that is.

I could if I wanted to. When I have free time I tend to spend it cooking or hanging out with close friends.

Yes majority of successful students are not always nerds and Grinds, they study when its time to study and party when its time to party. You need to know how to prioritize your tasks and learn how to do effective time management. IMO one should keep a nice balance b/w studying and partying.

Absolutely. Last weekend was our first quiz, and one of the people in our class sponsored an 'post quiz rave'. Everyone got drunk, then went to the bars and got more drunk. I opted out of the bars, but the house party was nice.

And then if you're not into the partying scene... this weekend we have a group going up to the orchard nearby, and then we have a group going to one of the swimming holes. We have a movie night tomorrow night, as well as a virgo birthday party (since we had like 10 people have birthdays in the past two weeks). So yeah, there's plenty of opportunity to go out and party.

seems like it would be better to party in med school since everyone is over 21 by then and you don't have to worry about the cops / drinking tickets...

Not everyone in med school is over 21. Most are, but not everyone.

Where are my professional party people at?

Looking forward to meeting some during my interviews :)

Last edited:
Practically any free weekend I had was spent drinking and going out hitting on the ladies. Med school, aside from 1st and 3rd year, largely kicked ass.

Not everyone in med school is over 21. Most are, but not everyone.

You are correct.

doogie-howser-md.jpg

People DEFINITELY party in medical school. I was actually shocked by just how often (and hard) they party. During orientation week, every single event revolved around alcohol: picnics+beer, Bowling+beer, baseball game+beer, float trip+ LOTS of beer, and four nights out at the bars (including one bar hop night). Some of the guys in my class even took a short road trip to head to a strip club in the next town over.

Now, we just finished our first test, and the people in my class have spent the past 3 or 4 nights totally wasted (one guy passed out in the doorway of the bar halfway in the rain for 45 minutes and then got up to go dancing). The test was on Thursday, and I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of my class either didn't show up Friday or showed up looking like garbage from awful hangovers. I don't really drink (one of maybe 5-10 in my class of 180); so, it's kind of stunted my social life. I'm now understanding the truth of "We work hard but play hard."

Oh, and a good chunk of the people who are partying the hardest are also the ones who know the material the best... just depends on how you prioritize and study best.

Oh, and a good chunk of the people who are partying the hardest are also the ones who know the material the best... just depends on how you prioritize and study best.

Don't know if I'd put much into this rather than these people are probably the kind of innately gifted ones that would do well no matter what they were doing.

Last year, a bunch of the med students at my school got in huge trouble for hiring a stripper and partying inside the med school building :smack:

Last year, a bunch of the med students at my school got in huge trouble for hiring a stripper and partying inside the med school building :smack:

LOL nice.

If you partied a lot in college, you will likely continue partying in med school. If you did not party much in college, the same will also be true in med school.

LOL nice.

If you partied a lot in college, you will likely continue partying in med school. If you did not party much in college, the same will also be true in med school.

I've gone to more parties in the 5 weeks I've been in medical school than I went to in all of undergrad. It's totally dependent on the person.

I don't really drink (one of maybe 5-10 in my class of 180); so, it's kind of stunted my social life. I'm now understanding the truth of "We work hard but play hard."

I don't drink either...I hope that doesn't make people exclude me from social events in med school.

I don't drink either...I hope that doesn't make people exclude me from social events in med school.

Based on your signature and reference to Mass Effect in name title, I'd say your prospects are rather bleak Johnson.

Kids who abstain from every bad habit usually are the gunner types in my very professional opinion.

Haha, no, there are other opportunities to be social, especially if you're in a larger city with lots to do. You just have to make a point to attend the activities where people aren't falling-down drunk.

Partying doesn't stop once you get to residency either. Residents are human beings too, and they need to get trashed and laid just like everyone else. Of course, work time constraints drastically decrease the frequency with which they can do this, but you catch my drift. They still play hard whenever possible.

...Because it's impossible to have a good time and be sociable without alcohol and dance clubs.

that's what ecstasy's for :soexcited:

incidentally, if i could find a career that revolved around raving, i would definitely say screw medicine... hello DJ!!

Haha, no, there are other opportunities to be social, especially if you're in a larger city with lots to do. You just have to make a point to attend the activities where people aren't falling-down drunk.

Yeah, I guess I haven't noticed a huge drinking scene among my peers. I mean, I'm sure it exists and I'm just not really aware of it, but all I'm saying is that most of my immediate friends aren't huge drinkers and I haven't had to go out of my way to meet non-drinkers. I am in a somewhat bigger city, too, as GoG points out.

I mean, you can usually know by looking at an event whether or not it's going to be highly EtOH-filled or not...Common sense, as always :D.

Based on your signature and reference to Mass Effect in name title, I'd say your prospects are rather bleak Johnson.

Kids who abstain from every bad habit usually are the gunner types in my very professional opinion.

Religious reasons are why I don't drink, not because I think its bad to do, even though I should.

Sweet.

Now I know I definitely want to be a doctor.

Thanks for this thread SDN.

the first week of med school we learned that moderate alcohol intake is associated with decreased incidence of all manner of chronic ailments, led to longer lifespans, and was correlated with reported higher quality of life.

this was one of those "ah hah" moments when i was reassured that this is the life for me :D