Particular Scenario - Send a LOI now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoopKid

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

The Context: Non-Trad Reapplicant privileged to have an A as well as being on a post-II waitlist for my top choice (known to have waitlist movement). Was waitlisted in November, sent an update two weeks ago, and was going to hold off on sending an LOI because if there was any time it would make an impact (which I know is unlikely), it’d be in a couple months after interviews and when waitlist movement actually begins.

However, I attended a recent presentation for applicants highlighting a new 3-year program which would truncate the post-clerkship phase for those who know what residency they’d want to enter and matches them directly into an affiliated program. As an older applicant who’d love to start practicing earlier and has had a lot of exposure and interest in internal medicine field (specifically heme onc) through my clinical position, I’d love to apply. But only current accepted students can apply and the deadline is the end of this month.

Question: is it worth it to send a LOI now, highlighting my interest in the 3 yr program and intent to apply to it? Or is this just going to be seen as the sad desperate plea of a waitlisted candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y’all,

The Context: Non-Trad Reapplicant privileged to have an A as well as being on a post-II waitlist for my top choice (known to have waitlist movement). Was waitlisted in November, sent an update two weeks ago, and was going to hold off on sending an LOI because if there was any time it would make an impact (which I know is unlikely), it’d be in a couple months after interviews and when waitlist movement actually begins.

However, I attended a recent presentation for applicants highlighting a new 3-year program which would truncate the post-clerkship phase for those who know what residency they’d want to enter and matches them directly into an affiliated program. As an older applicant who’d love to start practicing earlier and has had a lot of exposure and interest in internal medicine field (specifically heme onc) through my clinical position, I’d love to apply. But only current accepted students can apply and the deadline is the end of this month.

Question: is it worth it to send a LOI now, highlighting my interest in the 3 yr program and intent to apply to it? Or is this just going to be seen as the sad desperate plea of a waitlisted candidate?
Don't waste their time, or yours.

How would you interpret a nonbinding contract from a desperate candidate???

Hey y’all,

the thing is, even if they were willing to accept you after seeing your LOI, it's unlikely they would do so over the next two weeks. Plus, if they told you wait list movement isn't even occuring right now, then sending an LOI is pretty useless.

@Goro @allseasons appreciate the input, and will likely hang tight and let the cards fall where they may. They’d probably already note my attendance at the event anyways. Thanks y’all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure the deadline excludes anyone who is not accepted by the end of January, and that there is no ability to apply once you are enrolled? That seems unnecessarily exclusionary, since there is no reason for the first semester of the first year to be any different for people admitted to the program.

If so, then people like you are being intentionally excluded, since the entering class will certainly include many people admitted after 1/31, and they know it, since they are the ones doing the admitting! And, if that's the case, begging them to pull you off the WL earlier than they would otherwise so you can apply to the program is likely to fall on deaf ears.

Are you sure the deadline excludes anyone who is not accepted by the end of January, and that there is no ability to apply once you are enrolled? That seems unnecessarily exclusionary, since there is no reason for the first semester of the first year to be any different for people admitted to the program.

If so, then people like you are being intentionally excluded, since the entering class will certainly include many people admitted after 1/31, and they know it, since they are the ones doing the admitting!
Confident. There were quite a few questions asked at the presentation and upon mentioning the deadline one of the attendees asked if those yet to be accepted would still have a chance to apply - they gave a soft but firm no. I don't understand either, and it's unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Confident. There were quite a few questions asked at the presentation and upon mentioning the deadline one of the attendees asked if those yet to be accepted would still have a chance to apply - they gave a soft but firm no. I don't understand either, and it's unfortunate, but it is what it is I guess.
That SUCKS!!! Any idea why they are intentionally excluding people? Is there a reason they need to make decisions before orientation? Even then, any reason they can't wait until May or June to do this?

That SUCKS!!! Any idea why they are intentionally excluding people? Is there a reason they need to make decisions before orientation? Even then, any reason they can't wait until May or June to do this?
No idea. Maybe they feel onboarding people early is crucial? I know they mentioned setting up a sort of mentorship with a resident program director (for whichever speciality one applied for), but otherwise I really couldn’t say. Those in the program have the option to “degrade” back into the traditional 4 year program too. If I end up privileged with an A I’ll certainly inquire further.

No idea. Maybe they feel onboarding people early is crucial? I know they mentioned setting up a sort of mentorship with a resident program director (for whichever speciality one applied for), but otherwise I really couldn’t say. Those in the program have the option to “degrade” back into the traditional 4 year program too. If I end up privileged with an A I’ll certainly inquire further.
Good luck. I feel bad enough that I won't be invited to Second Look at schools where I am on the WL. It would really suck to be excluded from a program I was interested in merely because I didn't receive an A until later in the cycle. Especially given how early January truly is, since almost all schools are still conducting interviews now, and, at most schools, a majority if not all of the As are still to be issued.