Med School and Spouse's Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rob_Hooke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is a spouse's job worth bringing up in an interview? For instance, my spouse was just promoted and really likes her job. There is a medical school close to us that would allow her to keep her job and for me to commute (~20 mins). This school is also my top choice. Is it worth explaining this situation in an interview or update letter? Would ADCOMs take this into consideration? For what it's worth my stats are very competitive for this school (>90th percentile).

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is a situation that you want the school to know that it is not a safety and you are not going to run off to someplace more prestigious. Just say you have ties to the area and that your wife has been working in the area (or name the industry or company) for xx months (years) and that you look forward to putting down roots. That might be exceptionally well received if the school's mission is to serve the people of that geographic area and/or if it is the only school within 100 miles.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a HUGE help. Thank you both.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this is a situation that you want the school to know that it is not a safety and you are not going to run off to someplace more prestigious. Just say you have ties to the area and that your wife has been working in the area (or name the industry or company) for xx months (years) and that you look forward to putting down roots. That might be exceptionally well received if the school's mission is to serve the people of that geographic area and/or if it is the only school within 100 miles.

On a similar note, would it be worth it to mention that I have immediate family and a fiancée in the area when applying to my local state school? Would that count for anything extra, or would it just be wasted space on a secondary prompt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

On a similar note, would it be worth it to mention that I have immediate family and a fiancée in the area when applying to my local state school? Would that count for anything extra, or would it just be wasted space on a secondary prompt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If there might be any doubt that you would not prefer that school over a "better" school, you should try to make it clear that the school is your top choice (if it is).

Okay, thanks for your feedback! While I've got your "ear", there is a DO school with a location that we would not have to move, and I already submitted the secondary which did allow for telling why you want a specific campus (and why you are dedicated to serving that area after medical school). I mentioned in this secondary that my family and my husband's family live in the area, and that I would love to practice in the area because I have lived there my whole life and hope to continue. Do you think that's adequate? I'm doubting if this is enough because I didn't mention that my husband works here (I tried to keep my responses specific to my goals).
Is your home address within 50 miles of the school? That would seem to suggest that you would favor it over a school that was 200 miles away and that seems particularly true, to me, if an applicant states that they are married and have family in the area.

Reactions: 1 user