med. school applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vrach89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently a junior, biology major in a very demanding engineering school. My current GPA is a 3.3. In my second and third semesters of under grad, I made some poor grades (D in Inorganic, D in Bio2, 2 Cs in organic chem and C in calculus II) which brought my GPA down. However, in the past 4 semesters (summers included) I have had mostly A's and a few Bs. My GPA improved from a 2.7 to a 3.3 and I still have 2 more semesters to go until graduation.

I've taken the MCAT a few weeks ago and I am waiting on the results. I have already applied to medical school. I have plenty of volunteering in underserved hospitals, I have lots of shadowing experience with a few different doctors, I have been involved a few clubs at my university where I have leadership positions and I am certain my letters of recomendation are superb ( genetics/evolution prof., biochem. pro, humanity prof/club adviser, and doctor). Other than the bad grades listed above, I have made B's in both physics (which are considered very hard at my university), A's in classes like microbiology, evolutionary science, biochemistry, synthesis lab, cell biology and other biology courses I've taken.

I need to also mention that I do not have a green card yet - in the process right now.

I've applied all over the country - lots of private universities since most of the non-private ones are in-state and require a green card at least.

What are my chances of getting in?

And if I don't get in this cycle, do you think an MS degree would help me in the next cycle? Would I have to actually complete the MS degree or could i do that for a year, see how my GPA is and then apply without having it finished? Would an MS degree in molecular biology or genomics help or should I consider some other field?

Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you retake those Ds? What were your MCAT practice scores predicting your score range might be on the real thing? How many years of research do you have? Any publications?

When do you expect to receive your greencard? (it's my understanding that once you've submitted, you cannot change your status as an international applicant until the following cycle.)

Did you apply to some DO medical schools also?

A traditional masters degree is less likely to help you than one-two more years of undergrad classwork, getting straight As, a strong MCAT score, and a green card.

Did you retake those Ds? What were your MCAT practice scores predicting your score range might be on the real thing? How many years of research do you have? Any publications?

When do you expect to receive your greencard? (it's my understanding that once you've submitted, you cannot change your status as an international applicant until the following cycle.)

Did you apply to some DO medical schools also?

A traditional masters degree is less likely to help you than one-two more years of undergrad classwork, getting straight As, a strong MCAT score, and a green card.

I'm retaking inorganic right now - so far its looking very good. The reason why I didn't retake the biology D is because I was told that since I have taken many higher level biology classes, they'd make up for it :-/ Should I retake it?

I've averaged out ~31-33 on practice MCATs.

I have some research but no publications yet. Green card should be sometime soon in the next year.

So you are saying that I should just take more classes as an undergraduate rather than a masters student? Should I retake organic chemistry and calculus to raise my chemistry GPA?

Thanks again for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd have said not to retake a C if you got As in upper-level coursework. But a D in a prerequisite looks pretty bad. JMO. The Cs in OChem can stand, provided you redeem it in Bichemistry. Only about 5 med schools require 2 semesters of Calculus, so don't worry about that one.

If you were a citizen or green card holder, an MCAT score of 34 would have a moderating effect on your cGPA of 3.3. As an international applicant competing with a smaller pool of often-superb applicants, I think you'd need a higher MCAt score than that.

In general, the type of masters that could help you would be an SMP (Special Masters Program), rather than a traditional masters (which only a very-few med schools would regard, if it were in a hard science). See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for a discussion of these.

I'd have said not to retake a C if you got As in upper-level coursework. But a D in a prerequisite looks pretty bad. JMO. The Cs in OChem can stand, provided you redeem it in Bichemistry. Only about 5 med schools require 2 semesters of Calculus, so don't worry about that one.

If you were a citizen or green card holder, an MCAT score of 34 would have a moderating effect on your cGPA of 3.3. As an international applicant competing with a smaller pool of often-superb applicants, I think you'd need a higher MCAt score than that.

In general, the type of masters that could help you would be an SMP (Special Masters Program), rather than a traditional masters (which only a very-few med schools would regard, if it were in a hard science). See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for a discussion of these.

And what classes do you suggest I take other than Bio2? Should I just keep taking more upper-level biology classes? Would this suffice if I bring my GPA up to 3.5-3.6? If medical schools see a definite upward trend if I take 4 more semesters?

And just out of curiosity - why do medical schools not like masters?? The biology masters programs at my school require 30 hours of upper level biology classes...Seems counter-intuitive to me...

Your chances at most M.D. chances as an international student with a 3.3 / 33 are grim.

If you don't get in this cycle, the greatest favor you can do for yourself is wait till you have your green card before re-applying.

Aside from that re-take all your courses where you received a D.

A MS degree will NOT help you. If you start it, you will need to finish. An SMP on the other may help you. However, given the expense, I would re-take all courses you received a D in and wait to receive your green card. In the meantime work in a hospital setting after you graduate (use OPT to do so).

What are my chances of getting in?

And if I don't get in this cycle, do you think an MS degree would help me in the next cycle? Would I have to actually complete the MS degree or could i do that for a year, see how my GPA is and then apply without having it finished? Would an MS degree in molecular biology or genomics help or should I consider some other field?

Please help!

And what classes do you suggest I take other than Bio2? Should I just keep taking more upper-level biology classes? Would this suffice if I bring my GPA up to 3.5-3.6? If medical schools see a definite upward trend if I take 4 more semesters?

And just out of curiosity - why do medical schools not like masters?? The biology masters programs at my school require 30 hours of upper level biology classes...Seems counter-intuitive to me...
1) Masters degree GPAs are notoriously inflated. 2) Since most applicants don't have masters credits, it's impossible to compare them with those that do. Therefore, applicants are compared where they are equitable.

Yes, take more upper-level science. And keep in mind that math credits count toward the BCPM GPA also. If you get any Bs, you are delaying your GPA redemption.

BTW, if your transcripts aren't verified yet, I believe it's possible to cancel your application and get some of the money back.

To withdraw your AMCAS application from consideration you must do so online by selecting

withdraw application from the right side of the main menu. This option is only available after
submission and before verification of your AMCAS application. In order to withdraw you must
certify that you have read and understood the statement provided within the application. The
certification will serve as your signature. You will receive a refund for the medical schools
deadlines that have not passed and will not receive the non refundable $160 service fee.
You may not reapply for AMCAS during the same application cycle.

per the AMCAS instruction booklet, page 10: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

Thank you very much for all your advise and help Catalystic and others! I will look into SMPs and continue to improve my GPA as an undergrad. I was thinking of graduating earlier but I guess now I'll stay to raise the GPA and then probably do an SMP later if that is not enough.

please choose a different profession.