Med School Correspondence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, for those individuals who applied during the last cycle, how medical schools contact you (primarily). Do they use snail mail to notify you of interviews and acceptances, or do they use e-mail, or both (or maybe phone??)? If there are differences in the way that each med school contacts applicants, could you (off the top of your head) list which ones use primarily which method of contact? It would be much, much, much appreciated :)!

Members don't see this ad.

One last, shameless bump before this thread sinks into oblivion :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the schools may drop you an email to give you updates but the important notifications are via snail mail. When you are accepted you may get a quick email followed by a snail mail notification.

Typically, I got secondary and interview invites by email, followed by snail mail for more info on the interview, then snail mail for rejection/wait-list/acceptance. Some schools have an online status page that may show whether your application's been processed or whatever decision they've made on it. Hopkins will call you if you've been accepted. I think most people getting in off waitlists get calls.

Thank you for your responses! I just wanted to get a sense of what to expect.

One school contacted my snail mail for the interview but it turns out that if I had bothered to check my online status page, I would have seen it already days before I got the letter. Two schools called to schedule the interviews. Other than that, acceptances were all done by snail mail and correspondence thereafter by email.

ms2209 said:
I was wondering, for those individuals who applied during the last cycle, how medical schools contact you (primarily). Do they use snail mail to notify you of interviews and acceptances, or do they use e-mail, or both (or maybe phone??)? If there are differences in the way that each med school contacts applicants, could you (off the top of your head) list which ones use primarily which method of contact? It would be much, much, much appreciated :)!

It's pretty dependent on the school. Personally, out of the interviews I was offered, most are emails:

Snail mail: Vanderbilt, GW, Georgetown, Rochester, UVM
Email: Albert Einstein, Columbia, Cornell, Boston, UCI, UCD, Albany,
Online status: Northwestern (followed by snail mail), Duke

Acceptances are a whole new story, with most being either phone calls or snail mail.

Hope that helps. Good luck~!