Med School Election Norms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RichHoos

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question,

I am currently starting my 3rd year of medical school and want to run for class VP. I have not been a class officer for the first two years. I'm wanting to run/get involved simply because I want to get more involved. I have no problem with how the current officers have performed for the first two years. FYI, at the beginning of second year, and now obviously at the start of 3rd year, the class has received an email from the class president asking for nominations.

My questions are: 1) How often do officer seats turnover throughout med school? 2) Is it unethical/frowned upon to try to unseat a person (who you think has done a perfectly capable job) after their being in office for two years? Even if I think I can do an equally capable, if not better, job? 3) Is it generally accepted that the people elected in first year will be in office for the remaining three years?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's anything taboo about it. If you think you can do a better job, go for it! Just be careful not to insult your classmate (current VP) in explaining why you're the better choice.

Good luck!

it's third year. noone cares about that stuff anymore and you shouldnt either. also it's a pretty bad idea to appear like you are insulting a classmate at the start of 3rd year when you'll be working very closely with many of your classmates and having a good rapport with them is more important than any silly, and likely meaningless, VP position.