Med School Finder - Rank your Medical School Chances by MCAT scores and GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaurieB

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this website almost two years ago when I decided to apply to med schools. At the time, I thought it was pretty hokey, but I just thought about it again and decided to see how it compared to my actual results. It turned out to be surprisingly close. Is this a fluke?

http://www.premedguide.com/medfind.html

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by LaurieB
I found this website almost two years ago when I decided to apply to med schools. At the time, I thought it was pretty hokey, but I just thought about it again and decided to see how it compared to my actual results. It turned out to be surprisingly close. Is this a fluke?

No it is not a fluke. They use a statistical algorithm that is pretty good. Although premeds like to think that "numbers" are not the most important factor in admissions, they are. Most applicants don't have 3.7+/33+ so it makes them feel better to think the admissions process is completely random and that ECs and LORs are the most important. And ofcourse they always have a few anecdotal examples to back up their kooky ideas.

I sure hope it is a fluke. It's hard to fathom that future physicians, people responsible for human life, are selected by data-entry clerks:wow:

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried it and for me it didn't work out at all. Not sure why and whether it works for others, but that's just my 2 cents.

i think it is a fluke...ive posted on this matter before but in my case this site said i had my best chances at carribean schools and really bad chance at all of the schools i have gotten interviews at. needless to say this site doesnt take into account our ECs and life experiences and the type of students each individual school is looking for.

According to the site...i shouldnt have even applied to Davis and UCLA...2 schools I have been invited to interviews at.

it's stupid. There are other critical variables. It also doesn't tease apart science vs overall GPA. It doesn't take into consideration that some school not only show state preference but regional preference. For instance, Vermont has an agreement with Maine.

It doesn't take into consideration if you applied disadvantaged. Cali schools have a seperate committee for those applicants.

And it doesn't consider your undergraduate institution. If you've attended a top undergraduate school, I believe, it does help you. I think there are too many variables that are being ignored.

I tried it and it recommended that I shouldn't apply to the 3 schools that I've been accepted at. And it listed 2 schools that rejected me as quite favorable.

Maybe I'm too much of a run-of-the-mill candidate.

According to this site, these are the only schools I'm "Very competitive" at.

University of North Dakota (ND)

Ponce School of Medicine (PR)

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WV)

Universidad Central del Caribe (PR)

How does that make any sense since UND And U . Caribe only take in state???!?!?

good thing I didnt use this thing before i applied or else i would be going to podiatry school.

i have been trying to find that website for over a year now!!! when i applied last year, i entered my info and when i saw the output i nearly had a nervous breakdown. almost every school that i had applied to (and already sent in all my money and secondaries) was on the "Less Competitive at" list. i actually considered re-submitting an aamcas so that i could add Southern Illinois and the Univ of North Dakota....the only schools it said i was very competitive for. ahaha. its funny to look back on that now, how it upset me so much. i could hardly sleep at night!
but don't put too much faith in it.... i was accepted to over half of the 12 schools i applied to, most of those falling in the "less competitive" category on that website. its fun to play around with though, seeing how a few points on the MCAT effects the output (excellent waste of time to avoid studying anatomy)

According to this, I've got a better shot at Harvard than at UConn. Some of the schools in the "very competitive" section more or less laughed at me on interview day. Also, it makes note that I'm shoe-in for George Washington and La Universidad Central del Caribe (although if I had to choose between the two...)

I think they should have one that predicts your Step one score, the number of research papers you'll author, and the number of children you'll have.

Honestly, I think that site would be VERY useful for someone having a hard time narrowing down his or her choices, given that someone has finished prerequisites and has received her MCAT score.

Yea that list is basically really really inaccurate. I've been rejected from some of the schools that I was listed as "very competitive" (my point totals were huge). They don't take EC's, LOR's, race/legacy, ugrad institution, etc. into the picture. As a result, their methodology doesn't reflect a person's app. very well. These sorts of websites really shouldn't exist to scare potential applicants; it's too flawed to be used.

-Ice

That thing is so full of ****. I'm supposed to be the most competitive at Albany Medical COllege and they've already sent me a rejection.

Originally posted by exmike
According to this site, these are the only schools I'm "Very competitive" at...

Universidad Central del Caribe...

U . Caribe only takes in state

Ah! And I was thinking if there were enough of us, we could apply late and start a "Universidad Class of 2008" thread when the acceptances roll in! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
This site is crap. Fun, but crap. Admissions is much more than numbers, although numbers help. According to this website, I am competitive or very competitive at all schools except for two who don't take out-of-staters. This is flattering, but not accurate.
On the other hand, this site offers a quick way to search for which schools "match" your numbers. So maybe it is not completely worthless.

Yup, it looks like I should be headed to Puerto Rico, according to this.

btw, del taco - I love the avatar!

Wow, I was about to apply for a Mexican Visa until I read the other posts that it was inaccurate. Well, maybe I'll end up in Mexico anyway.

it seems to have the schools listed in a specific order with the calculated "Score" changing according to the numbers you put in. The order only changes when you change your state of residence.

At least that was the pattern I saw. And the cutoffs were -XXX to -3.5 Less Competetive; -3.5 to +1.5 Competetive; +1.5 to +XXX Very Competetive.

Hi, on that website, UCLA is listed to give you a smaller disadvantage for NY residence, than USC. And UCSD is listed to give a slightly larger disadvantage for NY than USC. Does it mean UCLA and UCSD dont discriminate against newyorkers as much?

UCSD gives a lesser disadvantage to you for being a ny resident than Boston U?

As I predicted, the anecdotes are rolling in. No one is pointing out that it says "competitive" not "guaranteed admission."

Originally posted by Gbemi24
As I predicted, the anecdotes are rolling in. No one is pointing out that it sas "competitive" not "guaranteed admission."

Yes, but to point out some of the inaccuracies of the "algorithm" you have to use anecdotes. Otherwise, what, every person for whom the formula doesn't work is an outlier and therefore should be discounted as "anecdotal" evidence? Please....

The formula is sorely lacking. Numbers are important, but so are so many other things. The algorithm is ridiculously constrained, yet many premeds make decisions based off it, which just isn't good for those particular ppl.

-Ice

Originally posted by ice_23
Yes, but to point out some of the inaccuracies of the "algorithm" you have to use anecdotes. Otherwise, what, every person for whom the formula doesn't work is an outlier and therefore should be discounted as "anecdotal" evidence? Please....

The formula is sorely lacking. Numbers are important, but so are so many other things. The algorithm is ridiculously constrained, yet many premeds make decisions based off it, which just isn't good for those particular ppl.

-Ice

I did not say the formula was perfect. There is a disclaimer at the site saying that the algorithm is not perfect but that it gives a "sense" of where you have the best chances of acceptance. Perhaps you are not aware of this but anecdotes do not refute statistical arguments. Statistical arguments can only be refuted with population data. Lets analyze why their algorithm is good (not perfect).

1. Admission decisions are usually based on GPA/MCAT, ECs, LORs, AA, research experience, disadvantaged status and interview scores.

2. There is a VERY STRONG correlation between GPA/MCAT and acceptance rate.

3. Those with good GPAs are more likely to have good LORs because professors or premed committees would be more likely to give a strong student strong LORs as opposed to an average student.

4. Those with good GPAs are more likely to have significant research experience because professors are more willing to take on more accomplished students.

5. There is no intuitional reason why students with poor GPA/MCAT would have better ECs than students with good GPA/MCAT.

Premises 1 and 2 are known facts. Premises 3 and 4 are reasonable conjectures that are supported by experience. They also stand to reason on their own. It is easy to see why 2 is correct. Those with good GPA/MCAT are more likely to have strong LORs and meaningful research experiences; this means they have about half of the admission criteria going for them. The data in MSAR fully supports this premise.

Clearly, those with higher GPA/MCAT have a distinct advantage when applying to competitive schools. If you look at the distribution of GPA/MCAT for accepted students at most schools, there is a strong bias in favor of GPA/MCAT. Let's take UMich as an example. The link below gives distribution of GPA/MCAT for accepted students in 1997. http://home.sandiego.edu/~e_cook/vault/medical/michigan/umich-med-97.html

As is obvious, the vast majority of those accepted have strong GPA/MCAT. The majority of those accepted with poor GPA/MCAT are URMs. This is one of the few weaknesses of the algorithm. It does not take URM status into consideration. This is precisely why it is a "good," but not "perfect" algorithm. It is obvious from the Michigan data that the algorithm works well for non-URMs. People on this thread are making it seem as though the algorithm is useless or grossly ineffective. The argument that the algorithm does not take into account the state of residence is baseless. It does.

Another thing to note is that the algorithm does not tell you where you will be "accepted", it tells who where you are "competitive." There is a distinct difference between those 2 words. "Competitiveness" in this case means "probability of acceptance". This is why the anecdotes on this thread do not establish the ineffectiveness of the algorithm. The only way you can establish its ineffectiveness with just your(ice_23) numbers is to apply with your current GPA/MCAT to the same school a 1000 times and see how often you get accepted as opposed to someone with a lower GPA/MCAT and the same state of residence as you.

What I would REALLY like to see is a version of the University of Michigan scatterplot that included data for all US med schools. But I'm guessing that data has never been collected.

Holy crud, Someone with a 2.9 and a 24 got in UMich Med!

Yah, it's inspiring, isn't it? Must be an interesting person. A couple schools in the MCAR specifically say that they reserve a few spots for applicants that miss the mark in credentials but are otherwise interesting, but I bet that's true at most of the selective schools.

I hope I'm sufficiently interesting.

Another thing to note is that the algorithm does not tell you where you will be "accepted", it tells who where you are "competitive." There is a distinct difference between those 2 words. "Competitiveness" in this case means "probability of acceptance". This is why the anecdotes on this thread do not establish the ineffectiveness of the algorithm. The only you can establish its ineffectives with just your(ice_23) numbers is to apply with your current GPA/MCAT to the same school a 1000 times and see how often you get accpeted as opposed to someone with a lower GPA/MCAT and the same state of residence as you.

Whoa, no one ever said that anecdotal evidence refutes statistical arguments. So you can step down from your pedestal on that point. :)

And that's EXACLTY the point. I can't apply to the same school 1000 times, (nor has anyone that I know of been able to do so). Intangible factors ARE a big deal to any given school, and if you ignore that, then you are ignoring a huge part of the process.

However, anecdotal evidence DOES point out the reality of the algorithm's blatant inaccuracies (which does not refute the statistical correlation of GPA/MCAT vs. med school acceptance). You know, whether you'd like to admit it or not, that people who are on the cusp of applying will take this algorithm, apply their stats to it, and base who they apply to on that. MOST people know that GPA/MCAT scores are a huge deal; however, a purported magical "algorithm" makes it seem all the more as if those are the only two parameters in garnering a medical school acceptance. You may call these people dumb, but I think it is highly disruptive to the psyche of a potential applicant.

And yes, it does use categories such as "less competitive" and "highly competitive." Yet, there are many people (such as URM's & legacies) that would be highly competitive within their own pool, but not as much when considered strictly by their numbers. Here the algorithm is NOT very accurate; and what's worse, although it hints at GPA and MCAT not being the be all and end all of med school admissions, it never really delineates what other factors there might be. A URM might not even know that he or she has an advantage (and whether you like the system or not, the disclaimer has an obligation to mention these "other" factors rather than just allude to them).

Additionally, you use the idea that because it uses the word "competitive" and not "guaranteed admission/rejection" that then that absolves the formula from being wrong or right. Given the large number of people claiming to have contradictory results with the formula and their actual experiences within the application process, I'd have to say that you're using this reasoning to hide behind the fact that it seems (at least, in this thread) to be wrong for many people. If the theory doesn't fit the data (from what I have seen here), then it's a pretty much a useless theory (or a highly inaccurate one at that).

Finally, in regards to your postulates, even the disclaimer of the algorithm itself remarks about it's own limitations that:

"Medical school acceptances are based on many factors in addition to (and sometimes in spite of) GPA, MCAT scores and primary residence. This algorythm [sic] does not take any of these factors into account."

In fact, it is acknowledged that sometimes (and I would assert that many times) intangible factors are taken in spite of GPA & MCAT scores. A potential applicant might not follow this link to this page, and may think his or her final decision is solely based on numbers. This sort of assertion, I believe, is harmful to an applicants potential future. That is why I hate such formulaic approaches to admissions.

-Ice

Whoa, no one ever said that anecdotal evidence refutes statistical arguments. So you can step down from your pedestal on that point. :)

And that's EXACLTY the point. I can't apply to the same school 1000 times, (nor has anyone that I know of been able to do so). Intangible factors ARE a big deal to any given school, and if you ignore that, then you are ignoring a huge part of the process.

However, anecdotal evidence DOES point out the reality of the algorithm's blatant inaccuracies (which does not refute the statistical correlation of GPA/MCAT vs. med school acceptance). You know, whether you'd like to admit it or not, that people who are on the cusp of applying will take this algorithm, apply their stats to it, and base who they apply to on that. MOST people know that GPA/MCAT scores are a huge deal; however, a purported magical "algorithm" makes it seem all the more as if those are the only two parameters in garnering a medical school acceptance. You may call these people dumb, but I think it is highly disruptive to the psyche of a potential applicant.

And yes, it does use categories such as "less competitive" and "highly competitive." Yet, there are many people (such as URM's & legacies) that would be highly competitive within their own pool, but not as much when considered strictly by their numbers. Here the algorithm is NOT very accurate; and what's worse, although it hints at GPA and MCAT not being the be all and end all of med school admissions, it never really delineates what other factors there might be. A URM might not even know that he or she has an advantage (and whether you like the system or not, the disclaimer has an obligation to mention these "other" factors rather than just allude to them).

Additionally, you use the idea that because it uses the word "competitive" and not "guaranteed admission/rejection" that then that absolves the formula from being wrong or right. Given the large number of people claiming to have contradictory results with the formula and their actual experiences within the application process, I'd have to say that you're using this reasoning to hide behind the fact that it seems (at least, in this thread) to be wrong for many people. If the theory doesn't fit the data (from what I have seen here), then it's a pretty much a useless theory (or a highly inaccurate one at that).

Finally, in regards to your postulates, even the disclaimer of the algorithm itself remarks about it's own limitations that:

"Medical school acceptances are based on many factors in addition to (and sometimes in spite of) GPA, MCAT scores and primary residence. This algorythm [sic] does not take any of these factors into account."

In fact, it is acknowledged that sometimes (and I would assert that many times) intangible factors are taken in spite of GPA & MCAT scores. A potential applicant might not follow this link to this page, and may think his or her final decision is solely based on numbers. This sort of assertion, I believe, is harmful to an applicants potential future. That is why I hate such formulaic approaches to admissions.

-Ice

Ice,

I agree with what you and the majority of other posters on this thread have been saying. FYI, there's really no point in debating issues with Gbemi. As you can see, he doesn't address the specific points that are made to refute his arguments, but instead just keeps repeating his primary argument even if it has been proven false.

When did I say intangibles weren't important? In fact I listed non-academic factors such as disadvantaged status and affirmative action (AA). Also, who said the other parts of an application should be ignored? It is apparent that you do not have strong intuitional understanding of statistical concepts. If you did, you would have realized that causality is generally not relevant to statistical arguments. This is why. Whether there are intangibles to admissions or not is irrevelant to the effectiveness of an algorithm that makes predictions based on persistent correlations, as long as the intangibles vary throughout the population. This is a deep mathematical point so if you do not understand it ask me and I will further elaborate.

The only people who would not find this algorithm useful are URMs and maybe legacies because the characteristics that make them unique do not vary throughout the applicant pool. That is to say you are either black or not. There is no variation in the population. However, this weakness makes the algorithm "imperfect" not "ineffective." Also, URMs and legacies do not make up such a large part of the applicant pool that they would immensely skew GPA/MCAT; therefore, the algorithm would be still effective (not perfect) for nonURMs.
However, anecdotal evidence DOES point out the reality of the algorithm's blatant inaccuracies (which does not refute the statistical correlation of GPA/MCAT vs. med school acceptance). .

How can anecdotal evidence point out the inaccuracies of a PROBABILISTIC algorithm? Were you ever exposed to the concept of probability is high school? How can you refute the predictions of a probabilistic algorithm with 10 or so anecdotal experiences. Suppose I toss a fair coin 10 times and get 8 heads and 2 tails, does this mean that the probability of getting a head when you toss a fair coin is not 0.5? Ofcourse Not! Why? BECAUSE THE SAMPLE IS NOT LARGE ENOUGH.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by ice_23 You know, whether you'd like to admit it or not, that people who are on the cusp of applying will take this algorithm, apply their stats to it, and base who they apply to on that. MOST people know that GPA/MCAT scores are a huge deal; however, a purported magical "algorithm" makes it seem all the more as if those are the only two parameters in garnering a medical school acceptance. You may call these people dumb, but I think it is highly disruptive to the psyche of a potential applicant..

So let me get this straight, the algorithm is ineffective because people misuse it? Where do you get this stuff from? It is like saying vitamin C is ineffective in curing scurvy because people misuse it to try to cure aids. One has NOTHING to do with another. It is not the algorithm's fault that people misuse it.

Didn't I make this same point? Why repeat a point that I have already made? This is what I wrote and I quote 'This is one of the few weaknesses of the algorithm. It does not take URM status into consideration. This is precisely why it is a "good," but not "perfect" algorithm.'

First of all, I never said that because the algorithm uses "competitive" and not "guaranteed admission/rejection" it is absolved from being wrong or right. What i said was that anecdotes cannot refute probabilistic algorithms. Why can't you get this? How can 10 anecdotal experiences refute a probabilistic algorithm based on a sample size of 33000+ people? This beats me. To be honest, I am astounded at your inability to comprehend elementary probability concepts.

-Ice

So? I pointed this out in my previous post so why are you repeating it?

I don't really know why you responded to my post. You either repeated many of the things I have already said or you were making arguments that made no sense mathematically. Your inability to appreciate probabilistic arguments makes this debate unproductive; as such, I will leave you alone so you can continue on with your palaver.

Originally posted by snowbear
Ice,

FYI, there's really no point in debating issues with Gbemi. As you can see, he doesn't address the specific points that are made to refute his arguments, but instead just keeps repeating his primary argument even if it has been proven false.

What an intellectual coward. You could not hold your own in a debate with me so you are now hiding behind Ice and throwing stones at me. What a joke. Have some confidence in yourself.

umm...yeah :)

so how did talk about this medfinder site sucking turn into a fight again?

i think we can all agree the site isnt very useful because it doesnt take into account all the factors the adcoms look at.

now we can go back to being that loving dysfunctional sdn family we all love being a part of. :hardy:

The only people who would not find this algorithm useful are URMs and maybe legacies because the characteristics that makes them unique do not vary throughout the applicant pool. .

this is completely off topic and not at all a response to the discussion you guys have going. . .

but i just remember using this website when applying to med school! and i remember using it for exactly the reason that it could only see my numbers and not other factors. . .i thought it was neat to be able to sort of reassure myself that i was a 'competitive' candidate at most of the schools i was applying to regardless of race, legacy or undergrad institution :)

It said I didn't have a chance anywhere,including Universidad Central del Caribe
ponder.gif

then I realized I put my GPA in as .52
crazya.gif
That would definetly make it difficult to get in anywhere.

It is true that it only takes our stats and nothing else, but it is funny. I guess we all can get into Universidad Central del Carib

Originally posted by LaurieB

Hmm, the site is a little bit of fun but according to it, I'm "very competitive" at some schools that rejected me pre-interview or put me on hold pre-interview and the one school where I've actually been accepted is not even listed. I may be an odd-ball, though cause I have decent numbers but my ECs aren't anything extraordinary and I'm a resident of Idaho.

Originally posted by Swiper The Fox
Yup, it looks like I should be headed to Puerto Rico, according to this.

btw, del taco - I love the avatar!

Thanks. But I can't see it anymore thanks to my pop-up blocker.

The algorithm is severly flawed. For example, being a resident of another state is a huge negative when applying to a school in Wash DC. The website is just a very basic undergrad computer programming assignment that hasn't even been debugged properly.

apparently I was not competitive at all of the schools I've been accepted to. Oh Well... ;)

Originally posted by duka
apparently I was not competitive at all of the schools I've been accepted to. Oh Well... ;)

We won't tell those schools about you if you won't tell the schools we've been accepted to.
wink_2.gif

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
The algorithm is severly flawed. For example, being a resident of another state is a huge negative when applying to a school in Wash DC.

How is that a flaw? That is what the data shows and since the algorithm makes predictions based on correlations between acceptance rate and several variables, this is precisely what it should do.

Gbemi24,

There is no way in hell that being a non-DC resident will affect your chances at GTOWN, to the same degree that being a non-CA resident affects your chances at UCDavis. The schools in DC don't give a rats a$$ about your state of residence. But according to the website, being a VA resident affects my chances at Gtown by a -4 units (of whatever they're using). AT UCDavis my score is also affected by -4. I hope I clarified my previous post

~Lubdubb

Originally posted by LUBDUBB
Gbemi24,

There is no way in hell that being a non-DC resident will affect your chances at GTOWN, to the same degree that being a non-CA resident affects your chances at UCDavis. The schools in DC don't give a rats a$$ about your state of residence. But according to the website, being a VA resident affects my chances at Gtown by a -4 units (of whatever they're using). AT UCDavis my score is also affected by -4. I hope I clarified my previous post

~Lubdubb

I get your point. UC Davis is a state school and Gtown is not, so state of residence should not be as huge a factor in admissions at Gtown. I think the mistake they might have made was that they took the correlation idea too far. They should have made a distinction between coincidental and noncoincidental correlations.

However, it is possible that they did not make a mistake at all. This is why. Some private schools might have geographic preferences although they might not explicitly say so. If you analyze the applicant/admitted/(state of residence) data and there seems to be a persistent correlation between 2 variables that cannot be easily explained away by coincidence or application patterns, then you have to take the correlation into account regardless of the school's official position. People and institutions can have particular biases even if they do not admit it.

I have not seen Gtown's applicant/admitted/(state of residence) data in recent years so I cannot definitively say whether the algorithm is right of wrong. At any rate, you make a good point that it is a potential flaw of the algorithm. Even if it is a flaw, I think it is a mistake to say that the algorithm is not useful. Clearly, the algorithm has some flaws, but it far from useless. Algorithms that model reality are rarely perfect, but many are very effective or useful and I think this is one of them.

I have not seen Gtown's applicant/admitted/(state of residence) data in recent years so I cannot definitively say whether the algorithm is right of wrong. At any rate, you make a good point that it is a potential flaw of the algorithm. Even if it is a flaw, I think it is a mistake to say that the algorithm is not useful. Clearly, the algorithm has some flaws, but it far from useless. Algorthms that model reality are rarely perfect, but many are very effective or useful and I think this is one of them.

I think like 50 people applied from DC out of a total of 8000 or so applicants, so I'm going to go as far as to say the "in state" group is insignificant for georgetown.

Didn't work for me at all. I should be studying on a beach south of the border right now....

I think like 50 people applied from DC out of a total of 8000 or so applicants, so I'm going to go as far as to say the "in state" group is insignificant for georgetown.

This does not prove anything. What if Gtown has other unstated geographic preferences? The only way to know for sure that the algorithm is flawed in this area is to look at the applicant/admitted/(state of residence) data of Gtown for the past few years.

I'm very competitive at all the schools that didn't offer me interviews. Not that I mind.

Originally posted by Rendar5
I'm very competitive at all the schools that didn't offer me interviews. Not that I mind.

But "very competitive" does not mean "guaranteed" does it?

of course not. Actually, my little anectdote really doesn't mean anything since I was competitive at all the schools I applied to anyway.

DAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNN!

I was competative at F***ING Stanford???!!!

I wish I would have known about this prior to submitting my AMCAS.:mad:

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard. The schools I am very competitive at, according to this, either waitlisted me or rejected me. While I've had better success at schools where I am suposedly not very competitive. It's based only on numbers, what did you expect. ;)

I think this little experiment essentially proves the oft stated tenet that numbers alone do not guarantee acceptance. There are simply too many other variables.

I'm just about willing to bet my future as a doctor that an algorithm like this will be suprisingly accurate for law schools though.

I think this little experiment essentially proves the oft stated tenet that numbers alone do not guarantee acceptance. There are simply too many other variables.

You are right, but the disclaimer on the site says the same thing. Strong GPA/MCAT significantly increases one's chances of acceptance at any school and that is precisely what the algorithm tries to portray.

Another thing to note is that those who had negative experiences are much more likely to report their outcomes than those who had positive experiences. Ever heard the old saying that "bad news travels faster than goods news?" As well, the sample size on this thread is not large enough to prove or disprove a probabilistic algorithm that is based on a large sample.