1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Med School GPA Cutoffs

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by poohbear12345, Jul 22, 2011.

1. poohbear12345

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So in general schools and their websites seem to say, "we dont have a cutoff". But ive talked certain former members of ad coms and theyve told me that they do have a auto cutoff screening for GPA, MCAT etc... I'm sure its different at every school, some have cut offs some do not.

2 questions
    1. Why don't schools just come out and admit they have cut-offs and let applicants know what they are?

2. If a school says on their webpage "You can get accepted into our school with a GPA below (3.3, 3.4, 3. whatever) if everything else is strong," are they really just subtly telling you their cutoff?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RogueUnicorn

RogueUnicorn rawr.
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) they want your app fees

2) not necessarily

4. Eric01

Secondary fees, and you never know, there might be an applicant in the 2.0 range with something absolutely stellar about them that warrants admittance.

5. Tapepsi

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    1) There are so many variables that come in to play that having a cutoff eliminates those few amazing (and lucky!) applicants who get in with a less-than-stellar GPA.
    2) Maybe not a cutoff persay but a GPA that, if you fall below it, will make it much more difficult to receive an interview.

Don't let the perfect applicants on SDN give you a false idea of the "average" applicant. For example, the acceptance rate for a candidate with a 3.00-3.19 GPA and a 30-32 MCAT is a 28%. While it's not necessarily a good chance, ~1 out of 4 applicants are still getting in meaning that those cutoff GPA's don't exist for every school.

6. Espadaleader

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    drnjbmd is a long-time SDN member and blogger. She says her medical school screens for GPA first. People that don't make the initial screen are given a second look though if "something" stands out. http://drnjbmd.wordpress.com

7. fahimaz7

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Different gpa's for different minority groups. There no simple answer for this question. And no, I'm not trolling.

8. KLycos

KLycos ASA Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    There are some schools that plainly admit they have grade cutoffs. Just check more websites.

9. RookTookIt

RookTookIt SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know of a school (yeah, yeah, n=1) that most definitely has a strict cutoff in looking at your application, but doesn't mention it anywhere on their websites and is more than happy to take your secondary fee. And I know for a fact that no matter how outstanding the rest of your application is, if you are below the cutoff your application will never be seen by real people.

10. ceasefire

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Care to reveal this school?

11. RookTookIt

RookTookIt SDN Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    I'd rather not because I'm kind of tight with admissions (which I've also learned does NOT mean you will get in so I'm not even applying with my sub-par scores). It's a Manhattan school, so that narrows it down to only 4.

12. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver

Resident [Any Field]
    Columbia. Called it.

13. NH14

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They may also say they have no cut-off to encourage URMs to apply - just saying...I don't mean any disrespect. Kind of like the disclaimer for job postings as equal opportunity employers, and when they encourage minorities to apply, may be along the same line of thought.

14. PeterPesto

2+ Year Member

I hope it's not NYU for cGPA purposes. I just spent a long-ass time on that secondary, I would hate for my app to not be considered due to a cutoff.

15. artsciencelove

artsciencelove Class of 2016
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There may be certain situations when someone with a low GPA may be competitive, due to some unique or outstanding quality, or someone powerful pulling strings for them. Not having a discrete advertised cutoff for GPA allows this to happen without the school being accused of breaking its own rules. In reality, there are certain numbers for GPA and MCAT, beneath which your app cannot be considered. Medical schools want to know they aren't wasting 2 years educating you when there is little chance you're able to pass the Step 1 and become fit to be set loose in a hospital. If you stress about your "stats", know that medical schools stress 100 times as much about their Step 1 pass rates and the prestige of their students' residencies.

16. Big Dog

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    including URMs, Olympic athletes, non-trads, someone who grew up homeless, published poets, and the list goes on an on....

17. circulus vitios

7+ Year Member

Because it's more money for the AAMC/schools.

18. RogueUnicorn

RogueUnicorn rawr.
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No.

19. Brachyury

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    NYU: they have a 3.4 cutoff for MD, PhD, so I imagine they have a cut-off for MD-only, too

20. ceasefire

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    A friend of mine applied to NYU and was rejected on the basis that "any MCAT subsection score below 10 will most likely lead to a rejection." No other reasons were provided when he asked about the rejection.

21. DunKno

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That seems kind of harsh. So that would mean that a B13, P12, and V9 would get rejected? bummer.... I know a guy who got a 34 like that.