Med school immunizations-negative titers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strawberry7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I have to have my med school requirements submitted before mid august.

I got the mumps immunization (2 doses) as a baby. In May, I got the MMR titer and was negative for mumps. So I got a MMR booster shot. I did the titer again in mid july, and was negative again!

Not quite sure what to do. My doctor said I might not "convert to immunity". Anyone have a similar experience/ suggestions how to fulfill this requirement for med school?

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

So I have to have my med school requirements submitted before mid august.

I got the mumps immunization (2 doses) as a baby. In May, I got the MMR titer and was negative for mumps. So I got a MMR booster shot. I did the titer again in mid july, and was negative again!

Not quite sure what to do. My doctor said I might not "convert to immunity". Anyone have a similar experience/ suggestions how to fulfill this requirement for med school?

Much appreciated.
Relax you aren't going to get kicked out of school. Not converting happens more than you'd think.

Just keep the office updated on your timeline/results so they they can document it and know you aren't ignoring their request.

Ask your school's student health adviser what they want you to. I was vaccinated for hep b as a baby and my titer showed no immunity, so I'm being re-vaccinated for it at my school's recommendation. If the vaccine doesn't "take" then I'll just have to take extra precautions in my clinical years.

Members don't see this ad :)
HIV can cause a false-negative titer for mumps...

Reactions: 6 users
Contact your school for what to do next. One of my friends had negative titers for Hep B and they had her get the vaccine again, but she was negative the second time around and they just accepted it then (because it was likely she wouldn't convert like your doctor said). I don't think she was the only one in our class with this problem either. It wasn't a big deal, since she had everything documented.

Yeah it happens. As long as it's documented that you got the booster, you should be good. You'll be able to start school, don't lose any hair over it.

I tested negative for measles, mumps, and hep B immunity. I called the student affairs office and they told me to schedule an MMR and the Hep B vaccines (which are a 3-shot, 6-month series) and send all that along with the lab reports. So that's what I did.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Didn't know it was so common.

Had the same thing happen with my Hep B vaccinations. Elected to have the whole series re-done per my school's recommendation. Have to get the titers re-drawn 8 weeks after the last dose and if negative again just have to watch it.

Did you wait long enough to get your titers drawn again? It may not be fully active yet?