Med School >> Law School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tristero

RUFFNECK
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think I will be able to convince my med school to give me a 3 year deferment after 2nd year to do law school, come back and do my MS3 and MS4?

Members don't see this ad.

Not at my school, because law is way too different from medicine. They allow people to take a year off to get a m.sc./phd in sciences though.

Tristero said:
Do you think I will be able to convince my med school to give me a 3 year deferment after 2nd year to do law school, come back and do my MS3 and MS4?
My school has allowed it before. After all, they let people take time off after 2nd year to pursue PhD's...there's really no justification for NOT allowing someone to pursue another graduate-level degree (J.D.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Smurfette said:
My school has allowed it before. After all, they let people take time off after 2nd year to pursue PhD's...there's really no justification for NOT allowing someone to pursue another graduate-level degree (J.D.)

Smurfette: Do you know anyone I could speak to about this, or how I should approach my administration with this. I agree with you about the no justification for NOT allowinf someone to pursue another grad level degree.

Just ask the administration. You don't need to bring it up tactfully. It's not going to change whether they let you defer or not.

tristero,

of course it can be done; i am living proof. i am even attending a different university for law school. thankfully, my medical school has been unbelievably supportive. the dean's office felt it was a great way to supplement my education. i can't believe how easy it has been.

i am happy to answer any questions you may have. but for a quick answer, i would approach your dean of student affairs and let her/him know what you are thinking and why. let them know how you plan to integrate the two degrees and the benefits. let them know where you are in the process. i approached them in the spring of ms1. i had the lsat out of the way.

good luck to you.

just out of a curiosity, why is that u wanna be a M.D/J.D? What do u want to ultimately practice? Malpractice law?

If I ever practice malpractice law, it would only be to defend doctors. I come from a family of docs, and they would cut my balls off if I sued docs. I am leaning more towards healthcare policy or patent law tho.